Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RG129

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
The cheap miniDP-DVI cable that I bought has connectors that are too fat to sit flush against my monitor (Dell S2340). I had to settle for Apple HDMI-DVI to my monitor for now...

My monitor got snow within the first 5 minutes while still setting my computer!!! (I was only on the migration assistant screen)

On the hunt now for a miniDP-DVI cable with smaller connectors.

:mad:

cvs

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Does the straight Hdmi-to-hdmi connection to a simple display (not TV) cause the black screens or is it mostly for Dvi-to-hdmi chains?

The temporary "workaround" using adapters like miniDP-to-HDMI is not an option for many users since the Mini has only 1 Thunderbolt port which would be permanently occupied by a Tbolt storage device like Lacie 2Big.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Does the straight Hdmi-to-hdmi connection to a simple display (not TV) cause the black screens or is it mostly for Dvi-to-hdmi chains?

The temporary "workaround" using adapters like miniDP-to-HDMI is not an option for many users since the Mini has only 1 Thunderbolt port which would be permanently occupied by a Tbolt storage device like Lacie 2Big.

it seems to be any combination that includes HDMI

I have seen it on mine both with a straight HDMI-HDMI connection and alos with a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

If you're running a LaCie drive, you have bigger things to worry about than the random black screens. Invest in data recovery software already and good luck.

ofmyeye

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Yes, they just make these things and throw them on the market without ever testing them. [url=http://smiliesftw.com/x/chad.gif]Image[/URL]

Why should Apple put their own support on a 3rd party site? :confused: You do realize that Apple has their own support forum right? http://discussions.apple.com

This is an issue effecting only a small percentage of all users.

Why do you keep saying that this issue is only with a small percentage of users? You have no idea how many units are truly affected. It could be all of them. The problem manifests only when used with certain monitors and not others. The fact that others are not having the problem could be the display they are using 'cooperates'. It does not indicate that their units are definitely free of the defect.

Last edited:

ofmyeye

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I have both the screen blanking and crushed whites on my mini 2.3GHz/256ssd.
I only get the screen blanking/static through a direct hdmi connection to my 24" asus ml-249h. If I use my hdmi-dp adapter and connect to TB port, there has been no blanking for several days of use.
One time after blanking, the entire screen got filtered in a pink hue. I had to turn off and back on my monitor to make the pinkishness go away.
My MacBook Pro 2009 connected to the same monitor has great colors and crisp text with proper calibration. The mini, not so much. There is a subtle but permanent calibration issue. My fonts are not crisp like when the MacBook is connected to the monitor. For example, with the tab titles in Safari, the text looks hard to read and is very different looking than when using Safari with the Mb pro on the same monitor, Instead of clean crisp fonts, they are jagged and there are small horizontal white lines underneath each letter. Too much black, not enough gray in the background of the tab. Strange.
I called Apple tech Support today, they had no idea even of the blanking issue! They were courteous about it, but still I couldn't believe they had heard not a thing of this problem.
I'm not happy, going to return tomorrow at my retail store. I'll probably buy one once they iron out these issues. Or maybe switch to a 27" iMac.

--software engineer and iOS Dev

Last edited:

jovceata

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
easy fix

have the same out of the box try just about all with the HDMI no luck so i went out today got a cheep 3rd party MiniDisplay port to DVI adaptor then i used the DVI cable that come with my Samsung S27A950D plugged in and since then all good so far no black blinks no snow no colour washed out all problems gone and the system preferences about the display are using the correct profile that was missing all with the HDMI connections

hope this helps all and just to ad yes Apple is aware of the problem i had a quick phone call from Apple here in Australia Melbourne to ask if i have the same issue.

:apple:

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
have the same out of the box try just about all with the HDMI no luck so i went out today got a cheep 3rd party MiniDisplay port to DVI adaptor then i used the DVI cable that come with my Samsung S27A950D plugged in and since then all good so far no black blinks no snow no colour washed out all problems gone and the system preferences about the display are using the correct profile that was missing all with the HDMI connections

hope this helps all and just to ad yes Apple is aware of the problem i had a quick phone call from Apple here in Australia Melbourne to ask if i have the same issue.

:apple:

IF that is the case im talking Apple into sending me a adaptor+cable for free. There is now way i shold have to pay for it myself just because they cant sell products with a functioning HDMI output.

cvs

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
If you're running a LaCie drive, you have bigger things to worry about than the random black screens. Invest in data recovery software already and good luck.

[offtopic]

Why is that?

I have the 2big 6GB on order... choice made after reading all these good reviews.
Does it have a problem with the new Mac Mini specifically?
I need a Raid 1 external for pics and audio that I edit everyday.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Talked to Apple last night. Resetting the SMC didn't help. We zapped the PRAM, of course that didn't help.

Then he emailed me this list of files to delete, haven't even looked yet:
Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist
Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/By Host/com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxx.plist
Users/Home/Library/Caches/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Does the Black Screen problem stop you from using the Mac Mini.

The reason I ask is that I have ordered the middle one of the 3 and If it does not interfere with usage,I will keep it,once it arrives, and wait fore the update.

Thanks

Alan

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Does the Black Screen problem stop you from using the Mac Mini.

The reason I ask is that I have ordered the middle one of the 3 and If it does not interfere with usage,I will keep it,once it arrives, and wait fore the update.

Thanks

Alan

Not at all, use mine constantly and love it.

Carl%R

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Sweden
It doesn't stop me from using it at all since I can use the Thunderbolt port for the monitor. The flickering and artifacting issues I had before with the DP-DVI adapter was in combination with a DVI switch in between.

But if HDMI is your only option then I think the current situation is unacceptable.

Apart from the blackout issue it's a really nice computer though. Everything else seems to work beautifully on my machine.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
I have ordered a Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor.

I hope that will work ok.

The only other option is the adaptor that comes with the computer.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Alan

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008

Whatever. There is no external drive that doesnt have at least 20% negatives reviews on Amazon due to failure after 1-12 months.

I am currently researching externals and actually find Lacie to have the least amount of negative reviews. Im looking at the lacie 2tb usb3 no-fan unit.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
HDMI Handshake issue?

I've been on AVS for years and this sounds like a common problem many A/V enthusiast experience setting up their gear. Is that what we're talking about here?

I have to have my plasma turned on before all other things or I'll get black screens, snow, etc.

HDMI is popularly thought of as a good idea cursed by crappy implementation. I don't plan on using it on the mini.

Is there a thunderbolt splitter for dual dvi that can be used instead?

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone using a monitor that plugs directly into the HDMI port seen this? Or only those of us using the included DVI-HDMI adapter?

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Has anyone using a monitor that plugs directly into the HDMI port seen this? Or only those of us using the included DVI-HDMI adapter?

Yes, that was how I first came across the issue as the monitor I purchased only had HDMI and VGA inputs.

Also to those that asked how it affects usage, it's at the level of very annoying but doesn't make it unusable. I use mind about 6-8 hours a day and typically I'll get the black out 3 times a day

PS: I found a mini display port to VGA adapter and have tried it as well. The good news is that the balck out did not seem to occur in that combo. The bad news is that resulting drop in sharpness over using a HDMI connection isn't worth it.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Also to those that asked how it affects usage, it's at the level of very annoying but doesn't make it unusable. I use mind about 6-8 hours a day and typically I'll get the black out 3 times a day

I guess it really depends on your screen, or your luck. I got a few the first few days on two different monitors (I resurrected an old one before my new one was delivered), but it was just a second or two maybe once a day. Then it just never happened again, and it actually stopped happening before I called Apple and they had me zap the PRAM and reset the SMC, so I have absolutely no clue what made it stop, as I haven't changed a thing. It may just be waiting to go nuts, but the fact that I never got the snow is reassuring.

For me it's not a big deal and I'm sure Apple will release an upgrade. Should anything else fail, I found out that I still have a MDP-DVI adapter I had bought for my then MacBook (in fact I've only used the mini the DVI-HDMI cable I got at the time; back then I was doing MacBook -> MDP-DVI -> DVI-HDMI -> TV), so I can always hook it up like that.

I still think that a fix will come. Whether in the meantime the machine will be usable or not is really up to how bad it is for you. :) Good luck!

Dax71

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
If I recall right I think someone said the issue was gone in linux or windows so it should be a driver issue and if thats right a fix will of course arrive.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Well I have the adaptor that comes in the box,but that gets bad reports from a lot of people.

I have ordered a HDMI to Thunderbolt Adaptor,my monitor is a Dell S2409W,and it has most input connectors built in so I hope one of these will work.

I was thinking of getting a Thunderbolt to DVI Adaptor,but until I try the ones I already have,it could be a waste of money.

As you say,it's the luck of the draw.

Alan

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Whatever. There is no external drive that doesnt have at least 20% negatives reviews on Amazon due to failure after 1-12 months.

I am currently researching externals and actually find Lacie to have the least amount of negative reviews. Im looking at the lacie 2tb usb3 no-fan unit.

As someone that works in the data recovery industry, LaCie sees the highest failure rate on the market by a large margin (previously Maxtor was up there although they have gotten better in the past several years). Their proprietary firmware is the major cause of these issues. They help keep Kroll, Drive Savers, and others in business.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
As someone that works in the data recovery industry, LaCie sees the highest failure rate on the market by a large margin (previously Maxtor was up there although they have gotten better in the past several years). Their proprietary firmware is the major cause of these issues. They help keep Kroll, Drive Savers, and others in business.

please don't attack lacie or any other external drive company without offering a viable inexpensive alternative.

here is the bottom line you are in an industry that only sees failures.

what you don't see are winners.

I can write a 5000 word response to you and others on this site about backups and the like.

I won't but here is what I will say

" think of all externals and internals as A) cassettes or B) video tapes.

They tangle and they break" .

Multiple backups are needed.

The reality is most of us want to chisel and not pay for proper backup. If we did you would have almost no business at all.

proper backup ;

1) tm = 1 big drive and clone it = 2 big drives

2) a cloud solution = for off site think Sandy or an earthquake

3) clone your drive every night = 7 drives or at least 3 and rotate them.

that is a lot of money some would argue that the above is not good enough. Some would say use 2 cloud solutions 1 is not good enough.

so many make a choice to not spend this much.

they come up with lower cost options which is why you are in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.