Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
So I just got my iPad a few days and I have been Really careful with it but I just noticed there are already scuffs in the bezel. I can't imagine I made those, so should I return to the store with it or should I let it be. What do you guys say. I only added one photo, but there are like three more places where there are scuffs. The silver colored spots are where it is damaged.

Attachments

• 20121109_101948.jpg
    20121109_101948.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,558

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If you are within the return policy which you are then exchange it. If I were you i'd look into buying a Mini case that will offer some protection against stuff like that.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
If you are within the return policy which you are then exchange it. If I were you i'd look into buying a Mini case that will offer some protection against stuff like that.

Will they even take it back? I mean, I got it like 4 days now so they probably say it's my own fault etc.

School tech guy

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
So I just got my iPad a few days and I have been Really careful with it but I just noticed there are already scuffs in the bezel. I can't imagine I made those, so should I return to the store with it or should I let it be. What do you guys say. I only added one photo, but there are like three more places where there are scuffs. The silver colored spots are where it is damaged.

I am still waiting on mine to be delivered. I am going to really look it over
now that i see yours had some scuffing. Mine is being engraved so it will
Be handled some befire i get it. If mine is scratched it is going back.

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah but it's just.. I am really protective about my stuff.

dude, I know how you feel!! I just returned my ipad mini (Black) back and luckily got a refund!!! I couldn't believe I noticed scuffs just after 4 days of REALLY CAREFUL use!! My ipad 2 has no scratches whatsoever and is 6mnts old!

Anyway... there is a fault with these ipads! I can't believe apple screwed their customers over so badly on this product!

I did some research and there are reports on the net that the release date was pushed forward due to this issue. Still.. they're sellin faulty ipads!!

In Spain where I am at the moment they don't even stock ipad minis yet. makes sense - apple is trying to get rid of the faulty stock!

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
dude, I know how you feel!! I just returned my ipad mini (Black) back and luckily got a refund!!! I couldn't believe I noticed scuffs just after 4 days of REALLY CAREFUL use!! My ipad 2 has no scratches whatsoever and is 6mnts old!

Anyway... there is a fault with these ipads! I can't believe apple screwed their customers over so badly on this product!

I did some research and there are reports on the net that the release date was pushed forward due to this issue. Still.. they're sellin faulty ipads!!

In Spain where I am at the moment they don't even stock ipad minis yet. makes sense - apple is trying to get rid of the faulty stock!

Apple "screwed their customers" and is trying to get rid of "faulty stock"???

Your allegations are completely ludicrous. But not unexpected since the four posts you have made today all make the same claim.

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Cause i got the bloody thing last Friday, noticed the paint peeling off yesterday and went back to the shop , got a refund today.

Do you think i'm trying to singlehandedly destroy Apple by posting four msgs. about this issue? It's happened to me, it's happened to other ppl in this forum so why is it such a sore in your eye to look at this thread? Enjoy your device. I'm not waging a war with anyone who hasn't had that happen to them. Stop the trolling and just enjoy your ipad mini.

I'm writing this post off my ipad 2. Went out and bought Ipad mini on it's release day so clearly i'm not anti apple.

This has been happening to many people and it's only the first week. No need to troll! Let people who have had this issue voice their experiences. Damn why is it such a sin on this forum to express my concern with something that is clearly also being mentioned by other owners?

Last edited:

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Cause i got the bloody thing last Friday, noticed the paint peeling off yesterday and went back to the shop , got a refund today.

Do you think i'm trying to singlehandedly destroy Apple by posting four msgs. about this issue? It's happened to me, it's happened to other ppl in this forum so why is it such a sore in your eye to look at this thread? Enjoy your device. I'm not waging a war with anyone who hasn't had that happen to them. Stop the trolling and just enjoy your ipad mini.

I'm writing this post off my ipad 2. Went out and bought Ipad mini on it's release day so clearly i'm not anti apple.

This has been happening to many people and it's only the first week. No need to troll! Let people who have had this issue voice their experiences. Damn why is it such a sin on this forum to express my concern with something that is clearly also being mentioned by other owners?

Not about Apple at all. It's your blatant immaturity and ridiculous claims.

Anyone who attacks any company, be it Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, whatever, by making far fetched and unsupported accusations that the company is trying to "screw" its customers and selling "faulty" products is the true troll.

And explain just how you were "screwed," since you got your money back.

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I wasn't screwed. Got my money back. Though it caused me stress and worrying as i have seen other stories of people on the net and this forum saying apple did not accept their returns. Mine was immaculate out of the box and i kept it inside all week. 4 days later it was peeling off the bezel. I based my accusations towards apple on this link

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/11/ipad-mini-low-yield-rates-chassis/

As well as other similar reports on the net

And who's trolling? The guy above posts a thread and a picture of his new oddly scuffed ipad and he gets more flamers boasting about how their ipads are flawless. It's not about them, is it?

No one is saying that every black ipad mini is gonna flake, yet people are reporting just after a week after release that some in fact do. Getting irritated cause someone is showing evidence of that and their account is trolling to me.

Last edited:

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Jeez, all this commotion for a few scuffs. If you are that sick over this, this purchase clearly is a big cut in your budget. I really couldn't care less about scratches and stuff: the device still works perfectly. This also happens when you start driving a new car: are you then also slapping screen protectors on it? Cry if you get scratches? Doh...

I say FUD on this: it doesn't scratch that much http://youtu.be/4G_8FczmWis?a

Last edited:

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Jeez, all this commotion for a few scuffs. If you are that sick over this, this purchase clearly is a big cut in your budget. I really couldn't care less about scratches and stuff: the device still works perfectly. This also happens when you start driving a new car: are you then also slapping screen protectors on it? Cry if you get scratches? Doh...

Yeah well sorry that some of us don't have thousands of dollars to just throw away.
Also "it doesn't scratch that much"", did you even see 3:05?

----------

Thank you, sir.

----------

Altough I don't think they are trying to get rid of the faulty stock. The problem is presen't in the iPhone 5 too and that's been out for months now. The design just isn't that good. But it was the same story with the iPhone 4. I don't think it will be fixed until one or even two more generations. They won't chance the build mid-generation.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Yeah well sorry that some of us don't have thousands of dollars to just throw away.
Also "it doesn't scratch that much"", did you even see 3:05?
Is that before or after using the Stanley knife? Did you expect something else? If so, I would advice you to return / sell the iPad mini.

The fact that you think you need to have thousands of dollars to spend to be able to justify the purchase of your iPad rests my case...

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Is that before or after using the Stanley knife? Did you expect something else? If so, I would advice you to return / sell the iPad mini.

The fact that you think you need to have thousands of dollars to spend to be able to justify the purchase of your iPad rests my case...

I was replaying to this:
"If you are that sick over this, this purchase clearly is a big cut in your budget."
For some of us an iPad is a big purchase and therefor we obviously are very protective about it.

Also, I was talking about the coin test. It like almost obliterated it.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I was replaying to this:
"If you are that sick over this, this purchase clearly is a big cut in your budget."
For some of us an iPad is a big purchase and therefor we obviously are very protective about it.

Also, I was talking about the coin test. It like almost obliterated it.
Really? Let me put it this way then: what would you have expected after that coin test? How do you think a product like an iPad should hold up after these tests?

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Really? Let me put it this way then: what would you have expected after that coin test? How do you think a product like an iPad should hold up after these tests?

It should remain scratchless. Every other device would.

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012

not after only a few days when my 6month old ipad 2 is in pristine condition

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
My ipad 3 is quite scratched, but I couldn't care less. I use it and can prove it by the scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.