Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjdoyle1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
https://vimeo.com/52929513

I wanted to make a short about the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. So a few days after the storm (Friday, Nov 2) we grabbed some gear and went into downtown. Obviously we weren't ready to do an actual doc or a comprehensive news story. So we set out to just try and find stories and show the characters of, and character of NYC.

ibennetch

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
Just a few quick thoughts.

Looks to me like your lipsync is off a bit. In some cases it's worse than others, but at no point did it look correct.

The pace keeps moving and goes by quickly, but it sort of seems like you don't know what you want it to be. Is it a documentary, is it news coverage? It doesn't seem to know what direction you're headed. It does have some good video and interesting tidbits, but it doesn't quite have enough cohesion to hold the whole thing together. That notion probably comes from the fact that the first half is stated to be trying to figure out a direction and then, when you turn it over to people to tell their stories, is where it gets interesting for me. As an aside, what was with the unshowered bus driver comment, is that a joke I didn't get?

Overall it's darker than I'd like and some of the people disappear in to the shadows (and the black and white bothers me, too, but that's a stylistic thing not a technical one). Obviously working with available light isn't always easy but some better blocking could have helped here; the black and white look hurts some of the shots in that area as well.

All in all it was interesting enough to watch, but the first 2:15 seemed largely unnecessary.

Was your neighborhood hit hard?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Unable to see the video on VIMO. How about covering the wild life. That never seems to be documented. I think the news cover gives us all we want to know. Unless one has special video on the day.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.