Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?

octover

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Sweden
Me too. I've also got Mail forgetting passwords, and Calendar having similar issues (and not accepting CalDAV passwords). After I locked the screen (screensaver), the machine wouldn't respond. Also, on first reboot after install, it wouldn't allow any input from keyboard or trackpad. Another reboot fixed that.

Yesterday everything was working fine. :(

I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
The size of the updates actually matter for the MBA 64GB

That's less than 1/4 of 1% of the space on a 64GB MBA, and it replaces files, not just adds to them, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
wow this update made a huge difference for me! Before whenever I had loads of windows on the desktop and I used mission control it would lag and stutter like crazy. Same for swiping between spaces and now its nice and smooth.

Not 100% super smooth, but a huuuuuge improvement! Lets hope it stays that way now.

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.

I did this also, and after a reboot it seemed to be ok. But an hour later it started to play up again, requesting passwords once more. :(

robin0627

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I got scroll lag on my 15 inch rMBP after updating it. What's going on? Apple, you are not fixing the graphical issues and worsening them :mad:

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing, nothing that made me want to cry or anything and I still have a little bit of screen tearing....I'd love to see a proper breakdown of exactly what changes this update incorporates.....

togg

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2012
the first EFI update bring a whole bunch of issues on rMBP, I hope that this will solve them.

5bjoshua

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Big update on graphics drivers when looking at the extensions!

Nice! :cool:

Last edited:

5bjoshua

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Could this be right?

Open GL drivers before update: NVIDIA-8.0.61
Open GL drivers after update: NVIDIA-8.6.22

I wrote down the driver version before the update but it doesn't seem like it's possible that there could be such a drastic change. However I looked back to an old thread where I was posting about this and it was indeed 8.0.61 before this update. Interesting.

Is Safari "snappier", or is that just me (I never though I'd use the Safari is Snappier line).

Yeah, i did the same. It updated the nVidia version from 1.3.4 to 8.6.22 also...i manually updated my nVidia driver to the 304 series one so not sure if that was updated in this update also from the 295 series nVIdia driver?

Not sure what is up with the numbering but it seems like it could be a good update.

OpenGL Certification seems the same however.

darijoe

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?

To find out, click on the Apple menu (top left of screen) and select "About This Mac". Click on the "More Info..." button and you should see another window appear. Under the big bold MacBook Pro text, you will see the date of the model and the June 2012 models should say "Mid 2012".

Also, Lion was initially loaded onto these Mid 2012 MacBooks in June because Mountain Lion was only released in late July.

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier. :mad::mad:

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.00.22.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.00.22.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 376
  • Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.09.42.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.09.42.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier. :mad::mad:

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.

I noticed it, too. First I thought it had always been 512 MB VRAM :D Maybe that was the only way to make animations smoother? Anyway, it shouldn't matter because the system now can take up to 512 MB of RAM, but it doesn't use it all the time.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Does anybody else has this problem? How do you fix it?

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012

You're worried about that much of a difference in allocated RAM? Give me a break dude. If you're bumping up against that 4GB wall on your machine all the time, you've got the wrong machine and configuration for your usage case in the first place.

lol....

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing...

Yes, this seems to be the big difference to me. The screen tearing seems to have disappeared. Was awful using Total Finder. Gone now.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
A new name for my MBP: Spec-bumped MBP:p

However mine is snappier than before, even if I switched the GPU to Intel HD4000 (I only have 384mb of VRAM on HD4000). Nice but the YouTube player issue has not been solved.

Also I see a big bump on battery life. (showing 8hrs and 20mins when I am editing this post on Safari, I have never seen this on my 15" MBP before.)

----------

What do you use your MBA for? Gaming? If not this VRAM bump will not break your machine.

My old 13" MBP also had 512mb VRAM for HD3000 and I have never ever freezed due to that.

nightsky971

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I thought this was a graphics update? I'm having the same issue as mentioned earlier. Safari periodically asks me to re-enter keychain password. Mail has become unusable. It's not checking accounts, I can't open preferences (never ending beach ball), and I must must force quit every time. Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.