Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
was told that expedited shipping was not possible at this state in the order, regardless if i paid for it or not. was told that FedEx will not leave the iPad on my front door step as a signature is required. we all know that is not the case, especially on Black Friday. FedEx and UPS are notorious for leaving packages despite a signature being required. FedEx did it with my iPhone 4S so i have absolutely 0 faith in FedEx not doing it again with the iPad 4. so there is big chance the iPad will be sitting there outside from Friday to Sunday night. i'm not too pleased about that one bit.

i think an internal memo has already been circulated instructing CSR's to say that it's not possible, while they figure out what the official policy should be starting tomorrow for people who have a conflict with the shipping date.

while i understand Apple's intent with delivery on Black Friday, many people won't be home for delivery (such as myself) due to either being at a relative's house in a different state or out shopping for the xmas season. FedEx is not reliable with signatures and we know how rushed they will be on Black Friday.

perhaps when i try calling again tomorrow, i will be a little more forceful and ask again for expedited shipping (whether i pay for it or not) or just cancel my order over the phone and just re-purchase online with expedited shipping or just buy it in the store. if Apple is sold out in my local Apple Store i will just buy it from Best Buy - no lines there on Apple product launches

----------

Received this info from Apple:

iPad with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular for AT&T 64GB - Black $829.00
Ships: 5 business days
Delivers: Nov 16 via Next Day Shipping, before noon
Recycling Fee $6.00

YAHOO! Now we need AAPL to begin the climb back up.

what exactly did you say to the Customer Service Representative to get them to change it? i was turned down when i called earlier this evening

tonyzucc0

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
The first time I called I was told there was nothing that could be done and that they could push back the date until when I got home (What kinda bull is that?!) The second time I called I explained my situation again and the guy was able to move it up one day.. ONE STINKEN DAY! So now I'm getting in on the 20th instead of the 21st... Oh well its better then nothing.. wasn't offered a free ipad mini smart case either:confused:

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
So glad I saw this thread, I called and politely asked and they bumped my delivery p to Friday, Nov. 16. New iPad 64 GB LTE for me and an iPad Mini 64 GB LTE for my wife - Christmas is here early this year!

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Huh? Are you new to the Apple ecosystem? Because everything you said is completely contrary to any launch in the previous 10 years of product releases at Apple. Apple has ALWAYS 100% delivered the models to pre-order customers (at least those in the first batch) ON or BEFORE the in-store launch date...

You may want to check your facts. Yeah, there is no guarantee, but most people accept past practice as a pretty good indication of future experience.

And people who do line up at 3 am do get it first... not sure how you feel that's "deserved" any more than Apple holding my money for 2 weeks without paying me interest... but regardless, "launch day" should either be the same for delivery\in store purchase, or they should disclose that based on a difference from past practice.

Missed the point again. I was trying to say that no promises were ever made that the product wouldn't be available earlier in retail stores. But really, I don't know why I bother posting in Internet forums. Your opinion or my opinion are not worth anything, you won't help me and I won't help you, so this is just a waste of time.
Yeah, I am kinda new to the "ecosystem". I was not an early adopter, only bought my first Mac in 2001. Apple II doesn't count, right? Sorry to jump so late in the band wagon.
Enjoy your iPad mini and all your Apple knowledge.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Yea, & I was planning on ordering my usual rubber back & screen protector when I got home.

I called Apple for the repair cost, and they said "Oh wow congratulations, you're our first broken screen call on the mini! ...but ah, sorry, that'll cost $219."

If you leave near an apple store take it in, in the us the genius them selves can sell u AppleCare + if ur under the regular warranty and exchange u device for an extra 49, u get a new mini and 2 years with the opportunity to break it 2 more times with in the 2-years warranty...... Should have gotten AppleCare + in the first place never leave the store with out it :)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I've been using Skype over iPad for my only phone line ever since iPad 1 hit the shelves. Never tried it on speakerphone. I always just use the wired headphones, BT headset, or BT car system. Works fine. I bought an iPad mini yesterday. As soon as I got home, I got out of the car, it slipped out of my hand, and the screen shattered. Brand new, and its ruined. Unbelievable.

Bummer. I feel for you, my friend. This is something that could have happened to any one of us.
Too bad you didn't have APPLEcare+ :eek: In hindsight, the $99 would have saved you $71, in addition to getting the extra year's warranty, but that probably won't make you feel a whole lot better.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The second time I called I explained my situation again and the guy was able to move it up one day.. ONE STINKEN DAY! So now I'm getting in on the 20th instead of the 21st...

You do realize that if Apple found out about this, FedEx or UPS would get HUGE FINES? It's not in FedEx or UPS's best interest to do this. Maybe the FedEx or UPS employee doesn't understand and is 'just trying to help the customer', but this employee might get fired for this.

rufinatti

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I just spoke with customer service and was told that the iPad mini was already shipping via the fastest method and could not be shipped any faster.

I've read a few posts where people who ordered the iPad 4 were able to get faster shipping; but has anyone who ordered a mini gotten faster shipping?

tonyzucc0

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
You do realize that if Apple found out about this, FedEx or UPS would get HUGE FINES? It's not in FedEx or UPS's best interest to do this. Maybe the FedEx or UPS employee doesn't understand and is 'just trying to help the customer', but this employee might get fired for this.

I don't get what you're saying since I called Apple, not FedEx or UPS.. So Apple would fine themselves for their own resolution? haha

----------

I just spoke with customer service and was told that the iPad mini was already shipping via the fastest method and could not be shipped any faster.

I've read a few posts where people who ordered the iPad 4 were able to get faster shipping; but has anyone who ordered a mini gotten faster shipping?

I've got a 16 gig Ipad mini with verizon LTE, the first time I called Apple I got that, the second time I called Apple they moved it up one day.. Definitely depends on the representative you get

rufinatti

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I've got a 16 gig Ipad mini with verizon LTE, the first time I called Apple I got that, the second time I called Apple they moved it up one day.. Definitely depends on the representative you get

Thanks. I'll wait a couple of hours to ensure I get a different representative; then try again.

Congrats on your small victory.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY

My LTE mini is scheduled for next day shipping but that was arranged at time of purchase. So maybe that's not what you were asking. I quoted my order status showing that shipping arrangement about five posts above this one if you want to see it.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Okay, I have some info regarding the shipping:

Some iPad 4's with LTE orders can be fast-tracked.

However, much like the iphone 5 and ipad Mini LTE is being shipped using regular shipping.

rufinatti

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
attempt number 2 ...

... "I'm sorry, Sir; but all iPad minis are already using expedited shipping. Any changes to your order at this point may mess up the system and cause your order to be either cancelled or further delayed."

pmas76

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Delivers Novemebr 16th!

Just got off the phone with Apple. I called 1-800-MY-APPLE. I asked to speak to a representative. Then I politely asked to change my delivery method to "next day delivery" due to travel plans. She was able to quickly change it without any problem...at no charge. I then logged onto the Apple website and checked the order status...and sure enough...it now states that it will be delivered on November 16th! I knew that being a loyal MacRumors member would pay off someday.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Is it only the cellular iPad minis getting moved up to the 16th? Has anyone been able to move up the date to the 16th for a 4th gen cellular iPad?

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
As I said last night I spoke to Apple and upgraded to next day shipping for delivery November 16. Today I check my order status and it is still for next day shipping but now it tells me a delivery date of November 20! :(

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I just called, I ordered my 64G Black Verizon Mini 30sec after they were orderable, ship date Nov 21. Std Shipping. I just called and politely asked to upgrade shipping and was told it can't be done and offered a free cover as a customer appreciation. Kind of bummed.

Edit, just got a conf email that my order changed, now it shows Nov 21... with a smart cover added with a ship date of Nov 16... wound, salt, rub...

Edit, based on the reports here I called one last time and requested overnite shipping as it said std shipping. She was very nice and said no problem, changed shipping to overnite, now the updated status is arrival Nov 21 via Overnite shipping.... arrgh, just not going to happen, we'll be out for the week, oh well.

Last edited:

wrongcoast

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
LA
what exactly did you say to the Customer Service Representative to get them to change it? i was turned down when i called earlier this evening

The day after I ordered it, and I ordered the night it went live online, I called Apple and asked to change my shipping option. It was no problem because, I think, if you change it at a certain early point in the process they'll accommodate you. My guess is trying to change now is possibly being hampered by the sheer volume of product they have scheduled for delivery.

leopoldo

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Sucesfull shipping change

I too had my iPad (Black 64GB WIFI+Cellular) set to arrive on Nov 23rd, when I would not be home to receive it. I called Apple and got a nice lady who explained there was no way to change the arrival date and my only option was to cancel the order and look for one in stores. I called back ten minutes later and got another nice lady (who sounded exactly like the first... I wish I had jotted down her name when she answered the call). This time I asked if my shipping could be changed to overnight, she said sure thing and I now have an arrival date of Nov 16.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Bummer. I feel for you, my friend. This is something that could have happened to any one of us.
Too bad you didn't have APPLEcare+ :eek: In hindsight, the $99 would have saved you $71, in addition to getting the extra year's warranty, but that probably won't make you feel a whole lot better.

Yea, this is the first iPad I haven't sprung for AppleCare on. I didn't, because after all these ipads, I figured they're so well made, only thing that I'd need it for is if the screen broke, and I was told AppleCare doesn't cover that anyway, only mfg defects, & battery/ram life. Haha, i swear, it's enough to make me think the universe is conspiring against me.

jaisonline

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
i ordered a 64gb black lte ipad 4 a few hrs after it went on sale. i'm 0-2 today with trying to get the ship date earlier. same story each time. new product. coming from overseas. too late to change anything on the order other than canceling it, etc...

update: just 5 mins ago, one of the apple reps called me back. my shipping was expedited by 2 days (from 11/23 to 11/21) free of charge. WOW. Talk about quality following-up customer service.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.