Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It is so good to see Apple helping hurricane Sandy's victims. Although I have seen higher donations from private parties, it was a nice gesture.

BUT the fact that they announce it so publicly, it is all for publicity, sad but true.

Spot on. The bit at the bottom about the red cross thanking Apple just reeks of publicity stunt, and 2.5 million is a pretty cheap publicity stunt for Apple. They could have quite easily gone to 10mil and still had enough pocket change to buy a bunch of private islands.

Sure, its a nice gesture, but dont think for one minute that this was any more than Apple marketing at work.

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
What does one thing have to do with the other?

uumm..... if my stock was dropping this fast, I would spend my money and make something happen... not just keep it in the bank and keep my products stale... a 5 year old OS and 100+ billions isn't going to help your stock recover

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Not sure if serious, but there is a difference between liquid assets/cash and stock price.

Keeping a stockpile of cash is not going to help your stock recover... they need to spend to improve their obviously lacking products

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Keeping a stockpile of cash is not going to help your stock recover... they need to spend to improve their obviously lacking products

Spending it, just because they have it isn't going to help their stock either. There are numerous other reasons besides your perceived thought that their products are lacking for the fall in stock price.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
Spot on. The bit at the bottom about the red cross thanking Apple just reeks of publicity stunt, and 2.5 million is a pretty cheap publicity stunt for Apple. They could have quite easily gone to 10mil and still had enough pocket change to buy a bunch of private islands.

Sure, its a nice gesture, but dont think for one minute that this was any more than Apple marketing at work.

Agreed. Especially after the nice installment they got from Samsung. I have seen Apple shifting in the wrong direction right around the time Steve got sick. I used to be in love with everything Apple ever made, their business motto and I was proud to use/buy their products.

Nowadays they have become another Microsoft and the fact I still buy their products (to be honest) is because I am used to the software and user experience, don't want to learn the whole Android and Windows mobile software. That pride that once existed, is no longer there.

macthetiger85

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part"

Like someone mention earlier this is pennies. It's almost sad in the sense that most of the people who were effected own apple products and the best apple can do is 2.5 million? Yet they spent 3 BILLION to bail out Sharp a non US company?

Sorry guys you won't find a bigger fan of their products as me but their business motto and how they are starting to operate is really getting annoying.

Where's your 2.5 million dollar check? Why are we so wrapped up in how much they gave? They gave more than I've made in my entire life. I couldn't have donated that. But they did. Thanks apple. Samsung gave 3. Thanks Samsung. If Microsoft or google give 500,000 thank you to them. Thank you to all who have donated.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

No, it's not. This is like me or you giving a combined total of... $2.5 million.

Seriously, $2.5 million dollars is $2.5 million dollars whether it came from me, you, the Salvation Army, or Apple.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I find it irritating how so many people say it's never enough. How much is enough? Is it a specific amount (like $1 billion) or a certain percentage of their money? And I wonder how much these complainers have donated to the Red Cross.

I also get ticked off by people who say "This person never donated." How do you know? I've read a lot of posts complaining about Steve Jobs never donating to charity. How do they know he didn't? Maybe he donated anonymously? To some people, just the act of donating to charity & helping people is enough & don't need to be publicly acknowledged for it. There's a difference between not donating and not donating publicly.

Sorry for ranting.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MOD NOTE: A quick reminder of the forum rules:

Off-topic posts. Off-topic posts will be deleted/edited. If you keep doing it see "Repeated problems" below. Threads and posts on controversial political, religious, and social issues are to be limited to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum, and made only by those eligible for that forum.

If you want to discuss some of the larger political/social issues around this donation, please take it to PRSI. Any posts we feel do not relate specifically to the thread topic will be moderated as off-topic.

B

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

You do realize that Apple doesn't give away Apple money, right? That's shareholder money too, to which they have a responsibility and obligation to be rather capitalist with. If they do something crazy they can be held as irresponsible and removed.

I'm not a big fan of shareholder involvement, and one of the few reason I have left for respecting Mark Zuckerberg.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
So people complain that Apple doesn't make a donation. Then Apple does make a donation, and people complain that they did it too publicly. Well, if it wasn't made public then you would all still be complaining that they didn't give anything.

Apple gives 2.5 million dollars. That's not enough, so people complain. If they'd given more, investors would be screaming that Apple was giving away all their money.

The point is, nothing can ever please everyone. Someone will always be pissed off, think it wasn't good enough, think it wasn't done for the right reason.

Seriously folks...sure, some of this is PR. It is when any company makes a large donation. But that doesn't mean there aren't genuine sentiments behind it. And the fact remains that, no matter the reason behind it, that money goes to help people in need. Instead of whining, complaining and bickering, I'd encourage those who can to go make a donation themselves. Take a look at your life, what you have, how fortunate you are. Whether you give a little or a lot, it adds up, and it helps. Go do something to help someone today instead of sitting in front of your computer complaining about how someone else wasn't generous enough.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
what they should of done is donated BEFORE the hurricane hit.

"This is 2.5 million in case something goes wrong......."

It's called taxes, and FEMA administers that.

I am far from an Apple apologist, but it seems no matter what Apple does in the way of charitable contributions, for some folks it's never enough.

Nightarchaon, have you given a larger percentage of your total worth to the Red Cross? If so, my compliments. If not, then shame on you...put your money where your mouth is.

Sensation, in one man's opinion, a silly and meangingless post.

Some posters have given NOTHING to help ANY other human being.

Possibly, but in that case it's odd that Samsung's announcement came out 4 days before Apple's.

So?

It is so good to see Apple helping hurricane Sandy's victims. Although I have seen higher donations from private parties, it was a nice gesture.

BUT the fact that they announce it so publicly, it is all for publicity, sad but true.

All for publicity? Surely you jest.

My lament is that I don't have more money to give to help people who have lost everything in this and other disasters. But I give what I can.

All the billions spent on this past presidential campaigning should have been used to take care of the homeless, the starving children (25% go to bed hungry every night) and our armed services veterans.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm not gonna knock the $2.5 million donation. I make it a rule to stay out of another man's pockets, and what he chooses to do with his money is his own business. I wish I had $2.5 million to give to disaster relief.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So people complain that Apple doesn't make a donation. Then Apple does make a donation, and people complain that they did it too publicly. Well, if it wasn't made public then you would all still be complaining that they didn't give anything.

Apple gives 2.5 million dollars. That's not enough, so people complain. If they'd given more, investors would be screaming that Apple was giving away all their money.

Exactly. Guys, Apple wasn't obligated to give anything. No company is. Or are we going to crusade for all the other major corporations in America to do their part too? Hey Wal-Mart, where's your $2.5 million? Hey Ford, hey GM?

To the folks comparing it to the $2 billion they gave Sharp -- that's completely different. That was an investment. For business purposes. They expect something in return for that $2 billion. This is a gift. For something which has absolutely nothing to do with Apple's business.

I hope all the complainers who said "They should give more!!" are also donating sizable amounts of money to relief or other charities. Hey, why don't you guys post and tell us exactly how much money you give, and to which charities. Oh, that's private information, you say? None of my business, you say? Hmmmmm.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

Perfect microcosm of the world in which we live....

A company or a person does something good and someone is there to complain that the company or person didn't do more.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Waiting for the people and manipulative corrupt media to spin yet another great Apple story as something negative. How about "They should have gave more". Yes, everybody loves to have their hands in others' pockets.

Thank you, Apple.

Sick is this jealous, teardown herd-mentality where frantic emotionalists who just want to hate something great, focus so much of their negative energy on Apple.

//Rant.

Last edited by a moderator:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
3 million from Samsung.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20309

thanks both Apple + Samsung.

I agree that it is great... but I also want to point out that part of the reason I am a fan of Apple as a company is because they didn't donate the money as a PR stunt. There is no trace of the donation on their website! Samsung, on the other hand, has it plastered on their home page!

I donated I didn't go posting it on my Facebook or putting it on my MacRumors signature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.