Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BamBamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
SOLVED

Hi all, I have a Cinema HD Display model #M8536. This has a permanent 30+5 ADC Male Pin cable and I want to connect this to my laptop or home PC via VGA.

Does anyone have or know where I can get a cable or adapter for this? I am looking for a FEMALE 30+5 PIN ADC to VGA (SVGA) MALE.

Please send me a msg or mail if you know anything about this. Thank you.

** Instant email notification is enabled **

----------

I just found this on the internet, can someone confirm it?

The DVI port on the Apple Cinema Display can only receive a digital DVI signal.

It will NOT work with analog VGA.

You CANNOT use a DVI-to-VGA adapter cable to connect a computer VGA output to the ACD DVI input. If you attempt to do that, you will get NO image.

Thanks

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is no way to connect a Cinema Display to a VGA source without a costly converter that will result in poor image quality.

BamBamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
There is no way to connect a Cinema Display to a VGA source without a costly converter that will result in poor image quality.

Thank you for the help, and it isn't worth the cost. Not when I can buy a monitor for my PC/Laptop for $100.00.

Thanks again!

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not worth it, I'm afraid. Off the top of my head you would need some sort of box to convert the analog VGA signal coming out of the PC to digital that the monitor could understand. That alone would cost a couple hundred bucks. Then you would need a DVI to ADC adapter which would be at least another $100. All to keep a monitor worth about $100 going. A new one of similar quality that would just work would probably be less than $200 these days.

BamBamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Not worth it, I'm afraid. Off the top of my head you would need some sort of box to convert the analog VGA signal coming out of the PC to digital that the monitor could understand. That alone would cost a couple hundred bucks. Then you would need a DVI to ADC adapter which would be at least another $100. All to keep a monitor worth about $100 going. A new one of similar quality that would just work would probably be less than $200 these days.

Yes, my thoughts exactly!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.