Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MsQueen

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Accidental Touch

What if it's the accidental touch feature activating when you touch the edges as you scroll up and down/diagonally?

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
Who the F ever scrolls like that anyhow?

I suppose this could be an issue in some games where you have to swipe really fast but even still. If it works properly on the 4, but not the 5 though they should definitely fix this up for the '5s'.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Soooooo... When do you ever actually need to do this?

If Apple comes back and says 'you're scrolling it wrong', I'd actually support them on that.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
does apple even bother to test its devices any more... i mean if you make a damn touch screen wont you touch it in every way possible before mass producing it?
I don't think Apple has anyone whose wrists can swipe at mach 3 like the dude in the clip. :eek:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
It's probably a bug in the driver for the new InCell screen. Hardware issue seems unlikely. Is the screen building up static charges that need time to drain?

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
Not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Seems like a hardware issue. Since it takes several fast swipes to reproduce, it probably is a buffer input output problem due to the speed of the swipes.
Anyone have a more technical background that sheds light into touch screen input/output processing and buffering delays?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What if it's the accidental touch feature activating when you touch the edges as you scroll up and down/diagonally?

Very astute. I noticed it stopped responding the first time I tried, but every subsequent time it was able to follow my ridiculous swiping. I think I may have swiped too far (off the screen) and triggered the accidental touch - hadn't thought of that until you said it, but it makes perfect sense.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Typical, post Jobs, quality control issues.

EDIT: Tried it on my iPhone 5 and I have the same issue. Scrollgate

Wow, you really are new to the Apple world, aren't you? QC issues have been present before Jobs' death. Things seemed to really start sliding with the move to Intel. Not that Intel itself is to blame, but it started around that time. So no, it is not "typical, post Jobs" at all.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
Non-issue.

This is actually the new palm detection that everyone has been talking about for the iPad mini, but it's also in these devices as well. Since the screen is bigger, reaching the far edges with your thumb is difficult to do without your palm touching the screen.

The reason scrolling diagonally triggers it is because occassionally his finger gets close to the edge where palm touches will be ignored.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I can't say I've noticed, even after trying the technique in the video. If anything, the iPhone 5 touchscreen seems more sensitive to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.