Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steph280

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Orange County, CA
I've also noticed iphone5's touch sensitivity/accuracy is less than previous iphones. It's evident when I am typing on the keyboard in portrait mode, I'd get more errors and missing characters. To be sure my finger hasn't gotten fatter or less conductive since iphone5's release, I tried the same with my 4S and 4, they all respond to typing much faster and more precise.

Yes I drank the Apple coolaid so I never bothered calling it a fault. But this incident report has confirmed my suspicion.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Is it just me or does the iPhone 5 in the video seem to hold up just fine until it drops out? It seems to keep up just as well as the iPhone 4S 70-90% of the time, and I can't really see this being a big issue at all. So if it drops out, just take your finger off and start again, and it looks like it keeps up just fine for whatever purpose one would have using their phone like that.

yomibro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
I noticed some screen sensitivity issues when the phone hasn't been power cycled for over two weeks, once it's power cycled it returns to normal for me. Didn't experience this issue with my old 3G and 4, not a major inconvenience but still annoying once in while.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I'm sure a lot of people will try to squeeze every bit of mileage out of this one. I can see it now. people will be flooding the gates at the genius bars complaining about something that probably would have never happened to them had they not seen the article.

oh boy.....

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Maybe not so silly for a game that relies on this kind of input. If you're a developer you basically have to not develop that game.

And save the world from carpal tunnel syndrome. Apple is really doing us a favour!

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I can only "replicate" this when my scrolling gets so intense that it triggers notification center. I have had absolutely ZERO real world instances in a month now where I've had any issue that could even remotely be traced to this.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But given that it has taken two months since the launch of the iPhone 5 to even be noticed, it seems that the glitch generally does not have a significant effect on real-world usage.

I don't think this logic is necc. sound. I think that many could have experienced this and just thought it was user error or just a quirk without reporting it. Not everyone is a "techie." I know many people that "live" with glitches thinking it's just part of the quirkiness of the machine or OS and/or have settings set incorrectly and don't change them because they keep things "as is."

Point being - just because there hasn't been a huge uproar about this doesn't mean it hasn't been noticed. Nor does it mean it hasn't affected some people's real world usage.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Who the F ever scrolls like that anyhow?

I suppose this could be an issue in some games where you have to swipe really fast but even still. If it works properly on the 4, but not the 5 though they should definitely fix this up for the '5s'.

You just answered your own question, people playing games like Fruit Ninja will notice it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I wasn't able to recreate this on my iP5.

in that case you genuinely are scrolling it wrong. :p

The issue does exist - I just tried it - make sure you scroll down a little way in your emails first otherwise it obviously will just keep checking for mail.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
If this is a hw problem the internet is going to explode! Imagine all the headlines...

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I usually don't comment on things like this if it doesn't bother me, but I actually have noticed it and the touch response compare to my 4S is definitly worse on the iPhone 5. I hope it's a software glitch and not hardware.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I guess its just a drawback to using new technology ( incell touch ). Im sure this will get better in time.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
All this proves is - the guy swiping has sweaty sweaty finger tips.

Seriously though, this is the dumbest video, I hope they have better plans this weekend than they did this week. Video poses no merit on any QC issue with a screen. The so-called 'screen swipe-test' is what I question the foremost...

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
Weirdly, it doesn't respond well to oscillating my arse on the screen at a speed greater than 5Hz either.

Haven't people got better things to do or worry about?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
does apple even bother to test its devices any more... i mean if you make a damn touch screen wont you touch it in every way possible before mass producing it?

Why do you care? You don't even have an iPHONE 5, so if this is an issue for you, then don't upgrade.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Damn u apple for selling me a rushed phone

Damn you for rushing out to buy it!

The moral of the tale?

Post-Jobs Apple are rushing out stuff that Steve would never have approved of or agreed on and are cashing in through greed and laziness.

Ipad Mini? Low res screen and slow processor What's that all about?

IPad 4? Hi res screen and faster processor? What's that all about a.

Ah...I see what you're doing now...we just buy the reviewed model six months later. Simple!

Remember folks... Don't buy the first PJ (Post Jobs) hardware release. Always the S model or the updated one six months later. Easy!

Hope this has been of some help :)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I wouldn't worry about this. Of course it's a problem with the 'hardware' but the great thing is that software (drivers and firmware) can fix the vast majority of what seem to be hardware problems.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
samsung: OMG this sucks hahaha cheap plastic phone

apple: who cares, no one swipes that fast anyway and its probably a feature

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Damn you for rushing out to buy it!

The moral of the tale?

Post-Jobs Apple are rushing out stuff that Steve would never have approved of or agreed on and are cashing in through greed and laziness.

Ipad Mini? Low res screen and slow processor What's that all about?

IPad 4? Hi res screen and faster processor? What's that all about a.

Ah...I see what you're doing now...we just buy the reviewed model six months later. Simple!

Remember folks... Don't buy the first PJ (Post Jobs) hardware release. Always the S model or the updated one six months later. Easy!

Hope this has been of some help :)

It has been of no help because you're talking complete rubbish.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
My iPhone 5 doesn't replicate this issue... I've gone so fast to the point where my fingertip became numb... LMAO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.