Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndhynes

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I never understood why it wasn't allowed on tiered plans, since they get paid for data used, but I am not surprised they block unlimited. Which is too bad, as that's what I have. I guess they figure the quality on 3G isn't good enough. Does that also include 4G? I've used FaceTime over 3G using both iPhone 4 & 4S and it was ok most of the time, but sometimes it wasn't.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
AT&T still doesn't get it. It's our data, and we should get to choose how we use it.

The problem with RF based networks is hat a given technology can only support so much bandwidth in a given area. Thus apps like FaceTime can literally saturate the network and make it unreliable.

AT&T still doesn't get it. It's our data, and we should get to choose how we use it.

I don't even want to see the data usage for an LTE FaceTime call.

Data is data. However you highlight an important aspect people either just don't understand or dismiss out of hand. RF networks can only handle so much data and once the users saturate that network service quality plummets. At some point there is nothing more that AT&T can do as towers can only be so close. People can sit here and blame AT&T all they want but honestly it is a good thing AT&T has the balls to say no to apps that could crash the network. It is no surprise at all that they waited for LTE to come along either as it is massively improved technology.

AT&T is a regulated business as such they have an obligation to make sure that the primary reason for a cellular network always works, that is the ability to make phone calls. That means that any person that is a customer can pick up their cell phone and make a call at anytime no matter what the rest of the user base is doing.

It is very easy for these networks to become congested to the point of not being usable due to the physical realities of the technology. This use to happen often with plain old cell technology in the past. For example find yourself in an airport that has just been closed down due to the weather and thousands of people try to phone home all at the same time. That is one I experienced myself but other examples have been noted too.

Frankly I'm happy that AT&T is willing to upset a few idiots to make sure the rest of us can make a call from time to time. They waited for the technology to improve so that FaceTime can actually be supported correctly and made sure that there is a significant cost penalty for excessive users. I'm not sure why anybody would have a problem with that unless selfish is their middle name.

I bought my iMac, but I can't use Photoshop unless I pay another 20 bucks to unlock the feature, because it will affect the performance of other apps. Now, Apple is expanding the ability to use Photoshop on a Mac over those who are using their internet via Airport Extress too. Customers on Time Capsule can continue to use Photoshop.

ATT, now you realize how ridiculous you have been?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
wow...about time AT&T has done something about facetime.

This isn't AT&T at all.

If we have learned anything about AT&T, it's that they only ever act when they realize customers are switching because they're being screwed, or because the FCC steps in.

This is very likely the FCC.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
They were hoping Romney's FCC will be more favourable to them. November 7 morning realized they have to settle for Obama's FCC. Announcement came out on November 8. Good Job AT&T.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
When will our own ISPs in our homes provide hotspots so we no longer deal with does types of greedy companies.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
The problem with RF based networks is hat a given technology can only support so much bandwidth in a given area. Thus apps like FaceTime can literally saturate the network and make it unreliable.

Data is data. However you highlight an important aspect people either just don't understand or dismiss out of hand. RF networks can only handle so much data and once the users saturate that network service quality plummets. At some point there is nothing more that AT&T can do as towers can only be so close. People can sit here and blame AT&T all they want but honestly it is a good thing AT&T has the balls to say no to apps that could crash the network. It is no surprise at all that they waited for LTE to come along either as it is massively improved technology.

AT&T is a regulated business as such they have an obligation to make sure that the primary reason for a cellular network always works, that is the ability to make phone calls. That means that any person that is a customer can pick up their cell phone and make a call at anytime no matter what the rest of the user base is doing.

It is very easy for these networks to become congested to the point of not being usable due to the physical realities of the technology. This use to happen often with plain old cell technology in the past. For example find yourself in an airport that has just been closed down due to the weather and thousands of people try to phone home all at the same time. That is one I experienced myself but other examples have been noted too.

Frankly I'm happy that AT&T is willing to upset a few idiots to make sure the rest of us can make a call from time to time. They waited for the technology to improve so that FaceTime can actually be supported correctly and made sure that there is a significant cost penalty for excessive users. I'm not sure why anybody would have a problem with that unless selfish is their middle name.

Contrary to popular belief FaceTime doesn't use much data. On WiFi it uses 3MB per minute, it is equivalent to 419kbps. Because these estimates are from WiFi they are most like uncompressed.

Each cell site/radio base station can handle multiple channel based on the technology used. On a LTE capable base station each channel can support published speeds, but not every channel is pegged at full capacity, the pipe going to the base station is generally smaller than combined capacity.

As an example, say 10Mbps each channel * 30 channels = 300 Mbps requirement, data pipe to the cell site could be 200Mbps link.

One a cell site assign a 10Mbps channel to a phone, it can only use up to 10Mbps. There is no question of one device taking up the whole cell site bandwidth. It AT&T published 10Mbps per channel and provided total of 50Mpbs for 30 channels it is their problem.

At that speed within their data plan quota, customer can do whatever they want. So no person with any reasonable telecom knowledge is not going buy into AT&T's BS theorey.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
"AT&T will also continue to offer FaceTime ... over Wi-Fi, which has always been available for all customers."

This is how you can tell AT&T are ********s. They have absolutely nothing to do with FaceTime over Wi-Fi.

Indeed. I wonder if AT&T can indeed restrict FaceTime usage over Wi–Fi.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
????Not sure any follows what you mean

Every one knows Obama administration policies favor consumers not business. If Romney would have won his administration would have favored business over consumers, because he believes in "free market capitalistic society".

Probably current FCC already warned AT&T on FaceTime Net Neutrality issue, but AT&T may have hoped this administration will go away and they need not comply. Now with status quo they have to do something. So they are allowing a small number of devices. Compare 4s to IP5 with tiered plan.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
Every one knows Obama administration policies favor consumers not business. If Romney would have won his administration would have favored business over consumers, because he believes in "free market capitalistic society".

Probably current FCC already warned AT&T on FaceTime Net Neutrality issue, but AT&T may have hoped this administration will go away and they need not comply. Now with status quo they have to do something. So they are allowing a small number of devices. Compare 4s to IP5 with tiered plan.

Ignorant post is ignorant.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
They signed up for a contract on certain advertising. AT&T said they could keep it forever. Then changed what they meant.

I think you don't understand that a deal is a deal. AT&T wants to end their side of the deal without signing a new contract. Period.

AGAIN, the contract was unlimited data. It was not UNLIMITED SPEED AND DATA. If you are getting unlimited data and not being charged for overages, then you are getting what you signed up for. My 6yr old can understand this.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

lol...too many holes in that statement to cover.

Get out of the fox bubble and enjoy life a little.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Honestly, I'm just happy AT&T still keeps my unlimited plan without making me pay full price for the phone like Verizon does.

If I want to Facetime, I'll turn wi-fi on my phone and go to any of these places:

My home
my friends homes/apartments
my family homes

Applebees
Buffalo Wild Wings
Chick-fil-a
McDonalds
Dunkin Donuts
Denny's
Pizza Hut
FedEx offices
Fox and Hound
Hooters
AT&T store
Verizon store
Sprint store
T-Mobile store
Office Depot
Staples
Best Buy
Subway
Wegmans
Apple Store
Starbucks
hotels and shopping malls
and public Comcast and AT&T wifi locations.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
AGAIN, the contract was unlimited data. It was not UNLIMITED SPEED AND DATA. If you are getting unlimited data and not being charged for overages, then you are getting what you signed up for. My 6yr old can understand this.

Well la dee da. I still think its deceptive to sign up for unlimited 3G service and then have it severely restricted. Go on and defend your plan. Guess what? I got a Subsidized iPhone 5 on Verizon. Plus, I have unlimited data on LTE. So...I think my setup is FAR better than yours.

Have fun defending being cheated.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
What about someone who is on HSPA+ (not LTE) on an iPhone 4S and has a 5GB plan with wifi hotspot/tethering. I find it completely ludicrous that I can tether another device to my iPhone, and do Facetime on the other device (and all kinds of other high bandwidth activities), but I can't do FaceTime over Cellular on my iPhone itself. AT&T needs to correct this soon; at least customers who pay extra for this should get FaceTime over cellular. Of course, everyone should get FaceTime over Cellular. Even the ones who are grandfathered in to unlimited -- they get throttled anyway. But it's a big slap in the face to those who have wifi hotspot/tethering especially.

Why the distinction that it must be LTE?

Exactly!!! I just bought my wife a 4g ipad. We can't get Internet where we live so the only way for my mom to see our new baby on FaceTime is to tether to my phone. Maybe I can use the ipad as a hotspot and somehow make another wifi off that one so we can FaceTime.

Why do we have to wait 2 months for this???? If they enable FaceTime over 4g and release google maps and YouTube I won't have to jailbreak.

----------

I bet you'd be great at selling reverse mortgages to old people. :rolleyes:

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
"AT&T will also continue to offer FaceTime ... over Wi-Fi, which has always been available for all customers."

This is how you can tell AT&T are ********s. They have absolutely nothing to do with FaceTime over Wi-Fi.
This is more then likey a reference to AT&T wifi hotspots that they do give out free if you have any type of internet account with them.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I think this is funny that they are offering this this with their $14 billion dollar network upgrade initiative thing. I bet all the overages they collect from this will pay for that.

At AT&T Corperate Offices

CEO- "We want to spend 14 billion dollars to upgrade our network."

*CFO pops in from another room*

CFO- "Uh, we don't have 14 billion dollars..."

CEO- "Enable FaceTime to our LTE iPhone customers.... They will use it and go into overage. Then, we will have 14 billion dollars."

AT&T is actually borrowing good portion of that 14 billion dollar upgrade. The CEO basically said we need to reinvest back into AT&T as now is the time when interest rates are at all time low. But the upgrade is more about getting rid landlines and old dsl lines and replacing it with VoIP, VIP(45-100mb fibre upgrade), and wireless (LTE upgrade to cover 300 million more customers).

electricfiddle

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
I did some math and with my 10 GB shared plan my family could technically use over 55 HOURS of Facetime per month. I don't know about you, but that's way more video calling than I'd do in a month. (And that's assuming I never had wifi.)

I don't think that is correct. I don't have the right answer, but did you also consider upload data?? If your math was right one way, wouldn't it be 22.5 hours? Even that seems high... I did an hour of Skype Video on my laptop and it cost nearly a gig. Maybe facetime is more efficient than Skype? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dj123

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Western New York
Why?

Why does At&t feel the need to ****** people with Grandfathered unlimited data plans. Its like hey thanks for being with me from the very beginning but now that that you are under contract and can't go anywhere I am going RAPE you sit back and enjoy!!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't think that is correct. I don't have the right answer, but did you also consider upload data?? If your math was right one way, wouldn't it be 22.5 hours? Even that seems high... I did an hour of Skype Video on my laptop and it cost nearly a gig. Maybe facetime is more efficient than Skype? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I got my numbers from this test which is counting both ways...it's adding together the upload and download rates to get the 3 MB per minute number.

http://9to5mac.com/2010/08/02/heres-how-much-data-3g-facetime-uses/

It's not the most scientific test, but it's all I can find.

I'm inclined to believe it because I do a lot of video compression at work and those are numbers that would match how i would define facetime's video: "Pretty ok, but not amazing."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.