Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domesposito

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Come on, people. At least we're not on an Android device. Android's scrolling issues are normal, at a regular or rapid swiping pace. :)

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
I noticed this on my iPhone5. I haven't owned any previous iPhone models, however, so I didn't realize it was a new issue.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
Who the F ever scrolls like that anyhow?

I suppose this could be an issue in some games where you have to swipe really fast but even still. If it works properly on the 4, but not the 5 though they should definitely fix this up for the '5s'.

On the contrary, I've noticed this when I scroll on Safari on the iphone quite fast to get to the bottom of a webpage. It just didn't register the gesture a few times.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Even before this post I experienced this 'minor lag' when scrolling down on emails in my iPhone 5. Its barely noticeable but I have had the iPhone 4s so there is a difference. I hope there's a software fix for this down the line and that its not hardware related.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Moving your finger this fast will probably eventually cause CTS. Again, this issue doesn't affect the sensitivity of typing and swiping. It only manifests when you move your finger supremely fast. I was barely able to reproduce this and only slightly (not even sure if is my eyes or it's actually it).

thbassplaya

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Richmond, Va
No issues

I tested this for 60 seconds straight using the exact same method, and I could not replicate the issue. Even if I could it is hardly even an issue to be concerned about.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Talk about over reacting! Also if you push the home button 250 times in a row it breaks! Joking aside though, has anyone ever noticed strange colours just for a split second when unlocking the iPhone 5 from sleep? I have very good eyesight but sometimes I feel like there is a fast blue spot or screen burn for a second. Noticed this on several of iPhone 5s. Also happens when power button is pressed to wake up the screen. Maybe just the eyes playing tricks!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
You are scrolling it wrong!

Ever disliked OSX 10.6 window dragging behavior through trackpad. For me it was a real bug by not allowing me to release the window immediately after dropping it. My only options were either for a delay time or a "drop-with-a-double-tap" approach.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
o_O, do people seriously just sit around and play with the iPhone ALL day to find flaws? I expect Apple to do so, but dangggg...some things are just plain ridiculous. No phone will be perfect! Who in the hell even moves there finger that quick scrolling through stuff..

Now, watch this "scrollgate" be over all the tech blogs.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Are people being too "touchy" (geddit?) abIut this potentially damagin issue?.

Well no!

Readers ... Try this...

1) Go on to Google (or any search engine)
2) Type in "iPhone 5 touch"
3) See how long you keep can denying this isnt going to be a major problem

Thanks!

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Not a big issue in itself, but another in a long list of little issues with this phone. Each small enough for most people so dismiss it, but in total, it's bound to make the overall iPhone experience less than it's purported to be.

I will wait and expect the 5S to address most of these issues and be a rock solid phone.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Typical, post Jobs, quality control issues.

EDIT: Tried it on my iPhone 5 and I have the same issue. Scrollgate

Two months for anybody to notice it and the first post is an Apple hating troll confirming it. No wonder MacRumors is now the laughingstock of supposedly Apple centric sites. And the post gets 17+'s. If that doesn't show who really inhabits MacRumors I don't know what does. A minor glitch that nobody knew about and we already have over 110 posts about it, most of which damn Apple to hell and back. What a crew here, what a crew.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Not a big issue in itself, but another in a long list of little issues with this phone. Each small enough for most people so dismiss it, but in total, it's bound to make the overall iPhone experience less than it's purported to be.

I will wait and expect the 5S to address most of these issues and be a rock solid phone.

Nonsense. Then you'll find something about that phone to moan and whine about. It never ends. Well it will end when Apple is dead and buried under the weight of idiots who are never pleased with anything the company does. Then the moaning and whining will shift to some other hapless manufacturer.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Two months for anybody to notice it and the first post is an Apple hating troll confirming it. No wonder MacRumors is now the laughingstock of supposedly Apple centric sites. And the post gets 17+'s. If that doesn't show who really inhabits MacRumors I don't know what does. A minor glitch that nobody knew about and we already have over 110 posts about it, most of which damn Apple to hell and back. What a crew here, what a crew.
It's okay to point out flaws in a product, even if you like the product.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Damn you for rushing out to buy it!

The moral of the tale?

Post-Jobs Apple are rushing out stuff that Steve would never have approved of or agreed on and are cashing in through greed and laziness.

Ipad Mini? Low res screen and slow processor What's that all about?

IPad 4? Hi res screen and faster processor? What's that all about a.

Ah...I see what you're doing now...we just buy the reviewed model six months later. Simple!

Remember folks... Don't buy the first PJ (Post Jobs) hardware release. Always the S model or the updated one six months later. Easy!

Hope this has been of some help :)

Jobs would have released all of these products. First, he released the iPhone 4 when he was told there would be antenna issues. Second, Jobs never cared about having the latest hardware specs in products. He definitely would not care about an issue triggered by scrolling like a mad man for an extended period of time.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This is completely stupid. IF this was a hardware issue it would be reproducible in other apps.

I opened Safari, put it in landscape on nytimes.com, zoomed in so I had space to scroll and did the same "test". No issue.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada

So if the first post was someone praising Apple and calling them "the luxury brand equivalent to BMW" you would be alright with it?

The guy posted that he tried it and confirmed he is having the same issue. I'm happy he tried it. I also have the same issue and we have a right to be upset if it hinders certain games.... Mind you games I don't play.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I noticed as my pressure changed it would lock up. I have been have issues with my screen locking up at other times such as when my call ends. I hope it is a software fix for iPhone 5 hardware. If it is hardware, I don't see Apple doing anything to fix it.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
What if it's the accidental touch feature activating when you touch the edges as you scroll up and down/diagonally?

Spot on, at first i couldn't replicate it on my iphone 5, then when I tried it with an end to end scroll, I could replicate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.