Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
There is nothing wrong anyway.
If you scroll from off the screen it doesn’t move. So when you’re scrolling fast you are scrolling from off the screen. I believe it is supposed to work that way. And when you scroll from the top (Off screen) it brings down the notifications.

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
I tried keeping the diagonal swipes in the middle of the screen (didn't go close to the edges) and had no problems. I also tried just swiping on the Y axis with little to no X axis input and had no problems either (didn't go close to the edges in this case either). So... I believe you may be right.

Non-issue.

This is actually the new palm detection that everyone has been talking about for the iPad mini, but it's also in these devices as well. Since the screen is bigger, reaching the far edges with your thumb is difficult to do without your palm touching the screen.

The reason scrolling diagonally triggers it is because occassionally his finger gets close to the edge where palm touches will be ignored.

MacMan1620

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
No problems on my iPhone. I'm glad that people keep looking for things to complain about. Can't wait for the next "gate" issue to pop up.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I wouldn't consider this a major issue, except if you are the dev of Infinity Blade and Fruit Ninja.

On the other hand, the Surface with the touch keyboard lags so much that it can't follow my typing in Word. That IS a real issue worth speaking about ;)

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I've noticed some touch issues with the iPad mini while playing He Man. Those the IPad mini use the same technology?

That's what I was thinking. The new Apple devices probably have similar technology, so if one new device has a certain flaw, the others probably do as well.

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Works fine on my iPhone 5. I tried and tried but it works fine, never glitched. On 6.0.1

Stoobs

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I can recreate it on my 5, but only by swiping so fast I'm in danger of giving myself a blister...

Normal usage including fruit ninja, not an issue..

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Non-issue.

This is actually the new palm detection that everyone has been talking about for the iPad mini, but it's also in these devices as well. Since the screen is bigger, reaching the far edges with your thumb is difficult to do without your palm touching the screen.

The reason scrolling diagonally triggers it is because occassionally his finger gets close to the edge where palm touches will be ignored.

Source for this? The iPhone has a well-established mechanism for ignoring stray touches - why would it need to change for the iPhone 5?

TheMarkness

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
I noticed this on my iPhone 5 as well playing Street Fighter vs Tekken and a couple of other games. Really annoying.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Given the unusual rapid diagonal swiping motion required for the issue to appear, most users will notice it rarely, if at all, although certain apps such as Fruit Ninja and Infinity Blade that rely on such swiping motions could be affected by the issue. But given that it has taken two months since the launch of the iPhone 5 to even be noticed, it seems that the glitch generally does not have a significant effect on real-world usage.

I dont' think it's that it's not been noticed in the two months since launch, more that people have just assumed faulty and returned, not being vocal about it, or people just assumed it was a bug in an app?

I've noticed some touch issues, not picking up when I type fast, swipes not completing, etc, but haven't screamed and shouted about it. Just waiting for some free time so I can go for a genius appointment at a convenient time.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I don't think this will be too much of an issue as no one scrolls across the screen like that normally. It might affect users playing certain games or users high on something if they're scrolling like that..

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I can't say I have this problem but another

When my phone is real cold, (its nakid and exposed to 30F degree weather, its hard for the touch screen to register input.. it takes multiple attempts. Texting is useless

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
How the hell do people find this crap?

I wonder if the media will turn this into a controversy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.