Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
Ok its already givin that some of us are excited about the ipad mini. I myself are looking forward to Purchasing the LTE version of the mini,but kinda stuck in between which carrier network is best to have the ipad mini on? Also i heard that verizon ipad plan allows free tethering.(is this true??) Also will the ipad mini be unlocked like the iphone 5????

P.S those of you purchasing the ipad mini LTE which carrier and why??

Last edited:

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
i live an travel in a area where both carriers are good. Verizon and AT&T. I dont know if you read/understood the post well but i heard when you purchase a ipad data plan on verizon you can use ur ipad as a hotspot(not confirmed yet) I also was curious will the ipad mini come unlocked like the iphone 5 did on verizon? im stuck between the two carriers for the ipad mini LTE
:confused:

----------

And type a complete subject line if you want responses.
couldn't come up with the perfect subject line... feel free to suggest an ill change it. really not that serious if your not gonna help with the matter keep it movin

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
And type a complete subject line if you want responses.

why don't you bother to help OP out instead of wasting everybody's time with such dribble...

I went with ATT strictly because I am having it added to our ATT business plan.

Last edited:

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I am not purchasing an LTE iPad mini, but I do have an iPad 3 with service through Verizon. To answer your question - yes, you can use the hot spot feature with any of the iPad data plans Verizon offers.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
I am not purchasing an LTE iPad mini, but I do have an iPad 3 with service through Verizon. To answer your question - yes, you can use the hot spot feature with any of the iPad data plans Verizon offers.

ok thats good to know!! ive heard verizon LTE is really fast!!

Last edited by a moderator:

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Went with AT&T because I may opt for the mobile shared plan in the future and they have the best data plans for my needs.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
For my iPhone I have AT&T even as much as I hate them, it just works better around here (3G)
Now for my iPad (LTE), Verizon is the way to go. AT&T "LTE" speeds around here are laughable.
You just need to find some people who have each service and ask them what they feel about it.
Coverage map on both sites might help you decide as well.

AT&T

Verizon

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, and for the record we highly recommend that users create descriptive and meaningful titles.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Look at each carriers coverage in your area and go with who's the strongest. If they are fairly equal and you travel at all I'd strongly recommend Verizon as they have the largest LTE coverage area. Back when I had AT&T it was alright in my home city but the moment I left the city limits it was dead...

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
For my iPhone I have AT&T even as much as I hate them, it just works better around here (3G)
Now for my iPad (LTE), Verizon is the way to go. AT&T "LTE" speeds around here are laughable.
You just need to find some people who have each service and ask them what they feel about it.
Coverage map on both sites might help you decide as well.

AT&T

Verizon

and if you travel your AT&T LTE will never work any where around the globe
so Verizon was you right choice

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
I went with AT&T because I want to be able to cancel the service and restart it whenever I want. From what I've read, that's not really possible with verizon.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I went with AT&T because I want to be able to cancel the service and restart it whenever I want. From what I've read, that's not really possible with verizon.

With any cellular iPad you can turn the plan off and on at will from within settings.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl

so verizon is not pay as you go like ATT

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
so verizon is not pay as you go like ATT

All iPad data plans regardless of carrier are month to month, you can turn it off and on as much as you want as there is no contract. You do it all right in the settings on the iPad.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
Ok cool i think verizon is the better buy!! it allows you to tether, do you guys think that they will allow it to to be unlocked like the iphone 5 so for those who travel over seas alot

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Went with Verizon for a multitude of reasons.

-Bigger LTE footprint nationwide.

-I use At&t for my phone because it's the only thing that works in my office (which has wifi for the iPad)

-Cheaper base plan with greater than 1gb data ($20 for 1gb Verizon, $30 for 3gb At&t, and $35 for 3gb Sprint). I only use 750-1000mb per month so the random month or two during the year I go over my 1gb allotment, I just pay another $10 that one time to get myself another 1gb of data. No sense in spending that $10 every month when I use it once or twice.

-Hot Spot feature included.

genekend

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2010
I have AT&T service on my phones. When I travel I go to a few places that have poor service with AT&T. I got the Verizon service on my iPad so anywhere I go I have service with one carrier or the other. I use the iPad as a phone Magicjack or Skype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.