Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
^^^ this. 4 hours really isn't good enough so you end up needing the charger, which ultimately takes the carrying weight up to that of the 13" anyway. That was the main reason I opted for the 13".

I have to say, once you have worked on machines running SSD, you will find it frustrating to go back. I can't help feeling, given you did not once mention computational power, you are not a 'power' user so the need for a Pro machine just for storage is an overkill in my opinion. Your best solution would have been 13" MBA with an external hard drive, which with USB 3 now would be lightning fast for your music etc. $80 gets you a good 1TB external hard drive.

No I'm not really a power user at all. I'm still a student and all I really use are Office, Safari, Mail, and iTunes. Running HD videos or editing videos in iMovie is as "power user" I get.

I do notice a significant difference in app launch times though, but that was to be expected. I'll eventually end up going the optibay route and replace my ODD with an SSD. It's just nice to have all of my information and media on one relatively little 4.5 pound machine.

And surprisingly, I barely even notice the weight difference between the two machines because I no longer have to carry my external hdd or my magsafe charger. The mbp has so far lasted at least 6.5 hours with moderate usage (Word, Safari, iTunes), which is nice!

Maybe it's just me but do you guys find the keyboard on the mbp more "satisfying"? Like it just feels.....better?

-jay

----------

I've had every revision of the Air - with the exception of the original.
I always rationalised that form, weight and 13" is sufficient screen real estate as being is the criteria.
recently I went with a 15" rMBP - wow!

I'll never go back to an Air.
not that I don't like them, but the quality and power of this Mac is so far above the Air that there really is no longer any comparison.
(in my humble opinion)

Oh yes! I eventually want to buy the 15.4 inch Retina Pro. Gorgeous machine and the size is perfect! Apple should drop the price by a few hundred $ or put them on the refurb site and I may pick one up next year.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Maybe it's just me but do you guys find the keyboard on the mbp more "satisfying"? Like it just feels.....better?

It's not just you. I used to have a 2011 13" MBP before I got my 13" 2012 MBA and I have to say I much prefer the keyboard my MBP had. That isn't to say the MBA keyboard is bad, but it was easier to type on the MBP keyboard (and the MBP keys were quieter).

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
UPdate:
I could not bear the incredibly slow hard drive speeds anymore. I've definitely been spoiled by SSDs and that was the my favorite part about the Air so I bought an SSD for my mbp, this thing flies now!

So basically if you're in the market for any computer or thinking about upgrading an older computer, SSD is the only way! They're awesome. However, we'll see how they perform over the years.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
It's not just you. I used to have a 2011 13" MBP before I got my 13" 2012 MBA and I have to say I much prefer the keyboard my MBP had. That isn't to say the MBA keyboard is bad, but it was easier to type on the MBP keyboard (and the MBP keys were quieter).

I share you sentiments. The keyboard preferences are still subjective.

I would rank it like that:

2006 CD Macbook > uMBP 13" > MBA

I like the uMBP keyboard more than the MBA's, but still think that a slightly softer keyboard with a better defined "click" point is better, that is what the original macbook had.

The MBA causes strain after long usage due to the short key travel. But I'm using one now and I would say that its totally worth the sacrifices made in weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.