Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zandermom23

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Holy Crap....just read the "Is my iPhone bent?" thread and almost pissed myself. The replies frigging killed me:D

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Just looked at my launch day 32GB black/slate verizon, mostly a front pocket carrier, it DOES have a slight bend in it, bending toward the back of the phone. I rarely if ever sit down with the phone in any of my pockets... dang it!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I bought the iPhone 5 two weeks ago, this is my first iPhone and I gotta say - I'm not exactly thrilled with my experience right now. I had the same issue; put my phone in the small pocket of my purse and it bent in the top, left hand corner of the phone. I didn't drop the phone, or the purse. The phone is showing a very noticeable crack near one of the volume buttons.

Apple won't help me in store, or via their 1-800 number. I am being told I have to pay $200 if I want to replace it since this apparently looks like it was a user issue and is not a manufacturing issue. After seeing multiple comments on web forums, it is quite clear we did not all do this to our phones. If I had dropped the phone with enough force to bend it back like that, it seems to me the screen would also have damage.

Clearly the metal used with this model is more malleable than it's predecessors. It is not reinforced enough around the volume buttons causing it to bend backwards if any force is put on it over a long enough period of time. No one should have to be paranoid that their $700 phone will warp when they put it in their pocket or purse. Apple needs to realize this is a growing issue, fix it, and show us that "world-class" customer service they are supposedly known for. I have yet to see it.

Wow. It is bent exactly the same way as the other users with this problem. Notice the notch right by the volume button.

For the deniers, there are obviously some units out there with this defect. Why would they all exhibit the same notch?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Let's wait and see how it develops - apple probably decided to save on r&d and skipped prototype phone reliability tests :) I am pretty sure that Steve would never allow such product to be manufactured and sold to customers. On the bright side - phone still works, so display is good indeed, flexibe. Just 1 point - glass would never bend, it would shatter immediately, so front screen is probably plastic - gorilla plastic :) that phone will scratch from all sides, epic fail. m:eek:
Steve jobs allowed the iphone 4 antenna issue.... enough with this Stve jobs crap. he was far from perfect.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Just looked at my launch day 32GB black/slate verizon, mostly a front pocket carrier, it DOES have a slight bend in it, bending toward the back of the phone. I rarely if ever sit down with the phone in any of my pockets... dang it!

The display is very flexible on these phones. This is why we are seeing bent bodies with a non-damaged screen. You could try to bend it back gently. Place it on a table and force it flat by pushing on the bezel.

----------

Steve jobs allowed the iphone 4 antenna issue.... enough with this Stve jobs crap. he was far from perfect.

True but he was 10X the man Cook is. Cook is reactive. Stock dips, lets fix it. He is not innovating anything.

mariatei

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
bent phone

my iphone was also bend while i had it in my front pocket. does anyone know if Apple replace your iphone if you complain to them? is it possible to get like a refund or a new phone? I really didn't expect this from a 530 pund phone....

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 620

spyd4r

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
my iphone was also bend while i had it in my front pocket. does anyone know if Apple replace your iphone if you complain to them? is it possible to get like a refund or a new phone? I really didn't expect this from a 530 pund phone....

damn, thats bent!

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's obvious from most of the bent phones we're seeing that the weak spot is by the volume cutouts. Those saying they sit on their phone and get punched in their phone and have no damage are wasting their breath. Unless you're unlucky enough to put the (accidental or not) required force exactly on that spot, it may be very tough to bend. I have my 4S in my front (snug) jean pocket as we speak and I could see a 5 bending if I squatted down hard. That's the main reason I went with a 4S instead. You'd be amazed at the force of a few pounds per square inch.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

For you guys claiming your phones get bent while in your front pocket, just how tight did it feel when you're sitting down and getting up? How deep are your pockets? The shorts I wear have 12" deep pockets, and I can carry anything in them. OTOH, most of my pants pockets are only 8" deep, and the pants fit more tightly to boot, and it is not pleasant to sit down and stand up when I have a smart phone in the front pocket. I try to avoid it, and when I can't, I always adjust things very gingerly to avoid the feeling that the phone (actually, 5th generation touch, which is even thinner) is being compromised. The Touch becomes an honorary third boy, so to speak, and tight pants aren't good for any of 'em. It's just common sense.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

Damn.... Lol that looks weird.
Get it to a doctor, asap. That leg needs a CPR.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
It's obvious from most of the bent phones we're seeing that the weak spot is by the volume cutouts. Those saying they sit on their phone and get punched in their phone and have no damage are wasting their breath. Unless you're unlucky enough to put the (accidental or not) required force exactly on that spot, it may be very tough to bend. I have my 4S in my front (snug) jean pocket as we speak and I could see a 5 bending if I squatted down hard. That's the main reason I went with a 4S instead. You'd be amazed at the force of a few pounds per square inch.

look at post #131...it didn't bend at the volume buttons like others

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Wow. It is bent exactly the same way as the other users with this problem. Notice the notch right by the volume button.

For the deniers, there are obviously some units out there with this defect. Why would they all exhibit the same notch?

Yes, the weak spot of the unibody frame is right there. But for it to spontaneously bend like many here are claiming it to, that just isn't believable.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Yes, the weak spot of the unibody frame is right there. But for it to spontaneously bend like many here are claiming it to, that just isn't believable.

We all know it didnt spontaneously bend. But somehow it bent, whether pressure was applied to the phone that the user didnt REALIZE, or whether they did realize...

The issue here is that this CAN happen. Maybe it's crazy to think of an iPhone bending because every generation before the 5, you wouldn't see iPhone's BENDING. The frame of the phone 5 maybe isn't strong enough.

If you're going to make a phone super light and super thin, and change the material from glass to aluminum, you better make damn sure that it wont BEND.

Obviously these people arent PURPOSELY bending their iPhone 5's. The bend came along during use. Obviously it was some sort of heavy use, or a weird/unlikely situation, phone position, pressure, etc, but either way it proves the phone CAN bend.

Try bending an iPhone 4/4S. Sure it can shatter, but that stainless steel band/frame wont budge and you can replace the glass back in 5 minutes and 10$ out of pocket.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

it actually did bend on me once, I literally woke up and checked my phone and it was slightly bent, enough for it to raise off the table if you press down on the top.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012

well believe it....pictures are proof ... iGnorance at its best

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
Mine has a very minor bend in it too. Probably no more than 1 degree. Only noticeable if I place it on a flat surface and rock it. I'm sure it will get worse over time.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Might have better luck calling apple and pleading your case.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

yeah it is.

Possible causes:

1. Swollen battery
2. Some other exergonic/exothermic reaction that cause some deformation in the internals
3. manufacturing defects causing structural instability wherein parts deform over time.

itsmejon

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
was there a high temperature near your phone at some point because i would guess there are heat sensative locations on it because before i got rid of my 4 it i noticed it was bent and wondered why and then figured out it was from the heat of the phone and because i charged it in a hotter area than normal a few times

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
How do people even manage sit with their phones in their front pocket especially if they are wearing jeans or something other than dress pants or shorts or khakis? :confused: I feel like it would be really uncomfortable...but I guess that's just me.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
How do people even manage sit with their phones in their front pocket especially if they are wearing jeans or something other than dress pants or shorts or khakis? :confused: I feel like it would be really uncomfortable...but I guess that's just me.

I don't wear tight jeans?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.