Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
The choppy year-to-year page turn animation in Calendar is less choppy, but, still not fluid.It seems that scrolling has incrementally improved.

If the wake-up time has improved, that will be much appreciated. There were times where I'd wait for over 30 seconds to see my mouse and text cursor active. If that's fixed, I'm a happy camper.

I noticed this issue too but not on all rBPs. My dad's machine kept waking in a second while mine was taking maybe 30 seconds. I'll keep an eye on my machine over the weekend and see if it fixed this issue.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I thought this was a graphics update? I'm having the same issue as mentioned earlier. Safari periodically asks me to re-enter keychain password. Mail has become unusable. It's not checking accounts, I can't open preferences (never ending beach ball), and I must must force quit every time. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you better do a clean installation of the OS, then recover all the data from Time Machine and see if this could help.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I also run Win7 on my rMBP and a couple days ago there was a large Nvidia update. So I think this is mainly a graphics update.

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Does anybody else has this problem? How do you fix it?

Hey I have this same problem since the update :mad:,I am getting that 8GB file no matter what I do :mad::mad:,any solutions anyone ? Yes the mode is 0 and everything,but it just keeps coming back after reboot :confused:

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Noticed my 15" rMBP showing the iPhone/iPad-style "Connect to Charger"/"Low Battery" icon in the middle of the screen when it was out of battery and I tried to turn it on. Is this new?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Warning - this update seems to change the way "safesleep" is handled. If you currently have safesleep disabled in order to free up the drive space required by the sleep image, this will cause it to come back and even setting hibernatemode = 0 won't change it.

Not sure why. The 13" rMBP has this "feature" out of the box but the 2.0 update has been reported to have the same effect on the earlier Ivy Bridge macbooks.

----------

After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Does anybody else has this problem? How do you fix it?

Ah, you beat me to it.

I'd really like to solve this. I don't like an 8GB sleepimage on my dinky 128GB drive. :(

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Warning - this update seems to change the way "safesleep" is handled. If you currently have safesleep disabled in order to free up the drive space required by the sleep image, this will cause it to come back and even setting hibernatemode = 0 won't change it.

Not sure why. The 13" rMBP has this "feature" out of the box but the 2.0 update has been reported to have the same effect on the earlier Ivy Bridge macbooks.

----------

Ah, you beat me to it.

I'd really like to solve this. I don't like an 8GB sleepimage on my dinky 128GB drive. :(
I hope you figure this out. Not cool as I have 16 gigs of ram and am not needing safe sleep for my needs

paulmoscow

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
For people concerned with the sleepimage file, it seems to be easily fixable.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

OK, basically you need to create a symbolic link to nowhere in the Terminal:

cd /var/vm
sudo rm sleepimage
sudo ln -s /dev/null sleepimage

That's all.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Something is fishy about this update. Somebody from macupdate wrote:

"My 2012 stock mbp with 8gb ram did the same thing, except the other way around: I only have 384mb now.
How is this an improvement?"

Can somebody confirm this?

Catsman

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
On the Coast Australia

----------

Do not install this update if you use Skype, now as soon as I sign in it crashes....

[EDIT]
Ok, it crashed whenever I had my 15" rmbp connected to an external monitor, I tried disconnecting the monitor, launching it, then reconnecting the monitor, that worked. And now whenever I launch it even with the monitor connected it works...I honestly have no idea why.

Do not install this update if you use Skype, now as soon as I sign in it crashes....

[EDIT]
Not using Skype but since upgrade my external monitor no longer works. Erratic behaviour. With lid closed external monitor worked, when open both screens black with just a cursor. Reboot fixed it for about an hour then back to unusable.

MBPr seems to work ok with external monitor disconnected. Up until thIs update all seemed good. Now unusable with external monitor.

Have Skype loaded but not used. Have not checked mail etc.

Last edited:

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You're worried about that much of a difference in allocated RAM? Give me a break dude. If you're bumping up against that 4GB wall on your machine all the time, you've got the wrong machine and configuration for your usage case in the first place.

lol....

Well, no I do not think so. I am very happy about the air and I have other machines too, this is the machine I bring with me everyday so it is important for me. I go by train for hours almost every day. They don´t come with 8GB in store and I did not have time for a BTO at the time.

It is not the biggest difference that they adjusted the amount of allocated VRAM, but it IS a difference and I don't see why. It is a ultra portable computer and it doesnt need 512 MB for the GPU right?

Also, what I noted after a few reboots is that the only amount of free ram is about 1,6GB immediately after a start. It is far less than before. But that might be temporary.

I do alot of different things on my machine but playing games is not one of them. I do quite alot of graphic processing on it but it has always worked great, even with my 27" apple led display connected..

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I installed the update this morning, and three times my Retina MBP has become unresponsive, starting with 1 app, and then cascading through all other open apps and the finder. Before today, this new laptop has been wonderful. Anyone else having this problem after installing the update?

Yes. See my thread in the Macbook Air forum.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
For people concerned with the sleepimage file, it seems to be easily fixable.

MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

OK, basically you need to create a symbolic link to nowhere in the Terminal:

cd /var/vm
sudo rm sleepimage
sudo ln -s /dev/null sleepimage

That's all.

Oh, sneaky. I didn't think about symlinking it to /dev/null.

----------

Something is fishy about this update. Somebody from macupdate wrote:

"My 2012 stock mbp with 8gb ram did the same thing, except the other way around: I only have 384mb now.
How is this an improvement?"

Can somebody confirm this?

Sheesh, my 13" rMBP says 768MB video memory-- and I have fewer pixels to push than a 15" retina which has 512MB.

However, since that's shared system memory, I don't believe it actually *uses* that unless it's needed. That number just represents the max amount that can be allocated. So unless you're running 2 external 27" monitors it shouldn't be sucking up too much system memory.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
I noticed this issue too but not on all rBPs. My dad's machine kept waking in a second while mine was taking maybe 30 seconds. I'll keep an eye on my machine over the weekend and see if it fixed this issue.

My guess is that this is caused by the machine going into standby mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

The machine will write the contents of RAM to the SSD after about an hour of sleep on battery. I have yet to apply the update, but perhaps it changed this behavior.

The long wake times were driving me crazy, so my solution was to change the timeout from the default 70 minutes to 12 hours using pmset. I have not tried this with the update, so try this at your own risk. I assume no responsibility whatsoever if this screws up your computer, don’t do this if you don’t know how to use Terminal, please be careful, etc. etc.

The relevant commands are:
Code:
sudo pmset -b standbydelay 43200
sudo pmset -c standbydelay 43200

Replace 43200 with your preferred standby delay, in seconds. The default value is 4200.

And to check the current settings, this ought to work:
Code:
pmset -g custom | grep standbydelay

I’m guessing that resetting the PRAM resets these values.

amazinrobert

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Wow, this update totally fixed my battery life...
It used to tell me about an hour and half at best when I would be watching a movie on VLC...which makes the Geforce gfx run..
Now, its telling me 4hrs 45 mins!

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Nice that they bumped up the possible Gfx memory on the Air. It does mean that certain programs that might have issues with the gfx memory can now run without a hitch. Not necessarily gaming in general, but for a particular gfx memory hungry game called Might & Magic Heroes 6. (Which would work before this update, but would work much better with this update)

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I installed the update this morning, and three times my Retina MBP has become unresponsive, starting with 1 app, and then cascading through all other open apps and the finder. Before today, this new laptop has been wonderful. Anyone else having this problem after installing the update?

I've got the same issue. There's also problems with coming out of sleep, keychain access issues, and none of my external drives can be unmounted.

I've reset the PRAM and SMC. I've called AppleCare, and they seem to think it's related to FileVault2 encryption being on the disk. I'm not convinced, but going through their troubleshooting steps is all I have right now.

Dan

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Also, what I noted after a few reboots is that the only amount of free ram is about 1,6GB immediately after a start. It is far less than before. But that might be temporary.

Reset the SMC. It will fix the "problem", I had it, too.

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
I've got the same issue. There's also problems with coming out of sleep, keychain access issues, and none of my external drives can be unmounted.

I've reset the PRAM and SMC. I've called AppleCare, and they seem to think it's related to FileVault2 encryption being on the disk. I'm not convinced, but going through their troubleshooting steps is all I have right now.

Dan

I'm not using FileVault, but have the issue. :(

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
This update fixed the "turn on external monitor when waking up from sleep" issue on my 2012 MBA 8/256. Now my external displayport monitor wakes up from sleep successfully every time and I do not have to keep unplugging the mini dp connector and plugging it back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.