Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
If you have a Mac sync it to the Contacts app and then sync that with your Google account.

I cant figure out how to do this...the article im reading has the processing going backwards...that you would sync your Contacts app with google and have your contacts on your mac. I am trying to do the opposite. I have all my contacts on the Note and nothing in google still.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Login to iCloud, select all of your contacts, export them as VCFs and then import them all into your Google account. May have to clean up things here and there, but it should be pretty seamless.

Don't have the phone yet but I just did this and it took less then 3 minutes. Very easy. Thanks.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
vCard = VCF

Gmail is refusing to let me inport my .vcf. And i've messed with every setting in gmail to allow the contacts on my phone into gmail.

I have the .VCF on my desktop. I transferred that onto the Note. Imported from that VCF onto the note so now i have my contacts on the note and a .VCF on my desktop. I cant however get any contact info into gmail weather it is from the phone or by importing into "Contacts" on my mac and synching with google..

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Gmail is refusing to let me inport my .vcf. And i've messed with every setting in gmail to allow the contacts on my phone into gmail.

I have the .VCF on my desktop. I transferred that onto the Note. Imported from that VCF onto the note so now i have my contacts on the note and a .VCF on my desktop. I cant however get any contact info into gmail weather it is from the phone or by importing into "Contacts" on my mac and synching with google..
use the address book program on mac. it will allow you to sign in with your gmail account and import the files.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

Try re-downloading the file out of iCloud. I just tried it myself to make sure I had the procedure right. Imported just fine into my Google account.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
post those pics man!

----------

Managed to get contacts on to Note. But now cant sync those into google contacts. Any thoughts.

open up address book program on your mac. sign in with your icloud account. export that file and put it on your desktop. sign out of icloud account. sign in with google account and import that file.....

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Got the Note II today!
I haven't really had time to play with it but it seems so much faster and smoother than my Note I.
Definitely a worthy upgrade.
Will post photos later.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I can import individual VCF's but it would have to be done 1 at a time...this is beyond frustrating.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I can import individual VCF's but it would have to be done 1 at a time...this is beyond frustrating.

Did you try that backup program? I spent an hour trying to get sync to work and finally just gave up, used that backup program and had my contacts on my Note in literally 2 minutes.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Did you try that backup program? I spent an hour trying to get sync to work and finally just gave up, used that backup program and had my contacts on my Note in literally 2 minutes.

I did but I want my contacts in google! Did you put your contacts on to your note or the Sim card?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I did but I want my contacts in google! Did you put your contacts on to your note or the Sim card?

I put them right into note. I believe you can also open the email in your gmail.com webpage and import them that way, although I didn't try that.

I know it sucks, you probably want to "sync" them. I did as well, I want to use my iphone for parties and such when I want a small phone, and my Note for work and wanted them to just both sync contacts thru Wifi, but after an hour of trying I just couldn't get it to work.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I put them right into note. I believe you can also open the email in your gmail.com webpage and import them that way, although I didn't try that.

I know it sucks, you probably want to "sync" them. I did as well, I want to use my iphone for parties and such when I want a small phone, and my Note for work and wanted them to just both sync contacts thru Wifi, but after an hour of trying I just couldn't get it to work.

Well i got it....i wiped the phone and started fresh...but now google is only showing 420 contacts my phone however is showing the 700+

New question for you guys...I use gmail, iCal and the calendar on the Note....If i make an event through iCal or google calendar all 3 calendars see the event. However, if the event originates from the Note, G-mail and iCal are not seeing the event. Any idea where I should be looking?

Last edited:

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Well i got it....i wiped the phone and started fresh...but now google is only showing 420 contacts my phone however is showing the 700+

New question for you guys...I use gmail, iCal and the calendar on the Note....If i make an event through iCal or google calendar all 3 calendars see the event. However, if the event originates from the Note, G-mail and iCal are not seeing the event. Any idea where I should be looking?

what program are you originating it from on the note?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Not sure if it makes a difference, bu tare you selecting your gmail account or "My Calendar" as the owner of the event? I was having issues selecting My Calendar and it wasn't showing up on my iphone, but using my gmail account that is synced to the iphone seems to be working.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
what program are you originating it from on the note?

Calendar...

looks like if i just change the "owner of the event" to my @gmail address it shares with all devices.....Looks like im finally squared away. Now what? I've never owned a Android device but this thing is great. First 4G phone as well and my connection is 3-4 times faster then my home internet

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Calendar...

looks like if i just change the "owner of the event" to my @gmail address it shares with all devices.....Looks like im finally squared away. Now what? I've never owned a Android device but this thing is great. First 4G phone as well and my connection is 3-4 times faster then my home internet
just make sure that the default is set to gmail and not on the phone etc. you shouldn't have to click it each time....

now what? take some pics!!!

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I've actually been reading that women don't have a problem with the size of the note and note 2 because they can just drop it in their purse.

I'm going to call BS. I bought my girlfriend a Galaxy Nexus (4.65") after her Nexus S (4") broke. She told me that the Galaxy Nexus was bigger than she liked and ended up going back to the Nexus S. We now use the Galaxy Nexus to run Netflix on our dumb HDTV or play downloaded tv shows using an MHL adapter.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Finally got my phone. Had an issue with the preorder however because the guy who placed my order over the phone changed my data plan from unlimited to 300MB!

After speaking to a couple reps, got everything sorted out so I have my unlimited data again. I asked the rep if I could have some credit for the inconvenience and she gave me $40 towards my next bill. Add that towards my previous credits/discounts and I ended up getting the Note 2 for $55 on 2 year contract. That's ridiculous!

I'm still playing around with the settings and setting up my different home screens but I can definitely see the potential in the device. Never cared about widgets but now I see why people like them. My phone was probably half charged when I got it. Took about 10 hours of use to kill the battery (turned off wifi and left on LTE to try to drain it faster). I still haven't even played around with the S Pen features! So far, so good. Glad I made the switch.

----------

I'm going to call BS. I bought my girlfriend a Galaxy Nexus (4.65") after her Nexus S (4") broke. She told me that the Galaxy Nexus was bigger than she liked and ended up going back to the Nexus S. We now use the Galaxy Nexus to run Netflix on our dumb HDTV or play downloaded tv shows using an MHL adapter.

That's fine that your girlfriend thought the Nexus was to big but that doesn't somehow translate to all girls thinking anything over 4" is to big and claiming BS.

I see plenty of girls using S3's and overseas, there's a huge market with females using larger devices, including the Note.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I'm still playing around with the settings and setting up my different home screens but I can definitely see the potential in the device. Never cared about widgets but now I see why people like them. My phone was probably half charged when I got it. Took about 10 hours of use to kill the battery (turned off wifi and left on LTE to try to drain it faster). I still haven't even played around with the S Pen features! So far, so good. Glad I made the switch

Dont hold it side by side with an iPhone 5 or you will be disappointed you switched. I played with a Note 2 again today trying to decide if I really want one but I am just spoiled by the 5's display. Having all Android phones in the past I never paid much attention but side by side is an eye opener. The Note is darker, even at full brightness and the whites are nowhere near as crisp and clean. Its also very over saturated making skin tones look too orange. The camera on the Note was also a disappointment compared to my 5 when I shot the same items around the store. Still, I love the size of the screen and do miss some of the features of TW, so I am still undecided. Never thought I would say this but I am really liking the iPhone. So we will see what happens when the Note comes to Verizon.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Dont hold it side by side with an iPhone 5 or you will be disappointed you switched. I played with a Note 2 again today trying to decide if I really want one but I am just spoiled by the 5's display. Having all Android phones in the past I never paid much attention but side by side is an eye opener. The Note is darker, even at full brightness and the whites are nowhere near as crisp and clean. Its also very over saturated making skin tones look too orange. The camera on the Note was also a disappointment compared to my 5 when I shot the same items around the store. Still, I love the size of the screen and do miss some of the features of TW, so I am still undecided. Never thought I would say this but I am really liking the iPhone. So we will see what happens when the Note comes to Verizon.

I got the iPhone 5 on launch day and agree it has a very nice screen. However, iOS totally ruins the experience. Hardware quality control was horrible, and the size of the larger display was still to small for me. Other then that, the iPhones great. I'd agree IPS LCD is nicer than SAMOLED but the iPhone has gotten boring and iOS is stale. I'm not seeing the innovation from apple like I did a couple years ago. I'm not purchasing a phone on screen alone, it's the total package, and right now, Samsung is delivering.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
For those having a hard time syncing contacts, just sync your idevice with itunes, in the info section make sure to
sync with google. Then itll import your numbers into Google which will sync with your android device. Anyone have questions? The phone is big, but I can actually use it one handed quite well even with medium sized hands. This is the first (and best) android phone ive ever owned.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
That's fine that your girlfriend thought the Nexus was to big but that doesn't somehow translate to all girls thinking anything over 4" is to big and claiming BS.

I see plenty of girls using S3's and overseas, there's a huge market with females using larger devices, including the Note.

Every, and I mean EVERY galaxy note I have seen has been owned and used by a man. I do know more than a few women with phones larger than 4" (coworkers mostly). They are all Samsungs, but none of them are Galaxy Notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.