Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Rare? You haven't even a clue.

I'm with you on this. I've had three iPad 3 and two iPad 4 and a few friends of mine own Retina iPads as well. Every screen looks a little different, some are yellower, some are blue, some have a tendency to show more red. That's not that bad, slight variations are to be expected on consumer-quality screens.
What really bothers me is the uniformity - or rather the lack of it.
Both my iPad 4 were nearly perfect in terms of calibration, showed my pictures (I'm a photographer) exactly like they should. But when looking on a white screen, surfing the web, reading or browsing the App Store there's always this green-to-pink gradient, top to bottom. It's not just one iPad. It's every iPad. The perfectly calibrated ones are the worst: you've got a brilliant screen, showing crispy whites right in the center of the screen, emphasizing the green and pink tint on the top and bottom even more. Blueishly calibrated screens are better, because they tend to mask the problem a little, showing a little variation in brightness but hiding the color variations.

I'm still not sure what to do, I have another week to return my iPad 4 but I'm disappointed that, a year after the introduction of the Retina display, there a still major quality problems with the screens.
Someone already pointed out that the majority of people don't notice or don't care about this problem. That may be right. It's still sad for people like me that are sensitive to such color variations.

Aside from that, just nice to know: there have been a lot of discussions in tech/photography forums about a green-to-pink tint problem with LG IPS-panels on semi-pro grade displays that still cost a few hundred bucks. It's obviously the same problem on most iPads today, indicating that Apple may have switched to LG as their only or at least main supplier for 9.7" iPad Retina screens. iFixit found an LG-panel in their iPad 4 teardown as well.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Remember the iPad 2 display was not without issues also. There were a lot of complaints here about pink hues and backlight bleed, plus light leakage from under the edges.

Last edited:

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
When I read threads like this it makes me feel I must be crazy lucky! Never had a problem on any screen of any Apple device. :rolleyes::confused:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
all this proves is your unbelievably anal. neither of those pictures are "return worthy" in my eyes.
The screen is all rainbowy, with a mix of purple, blue, and green. It's not his imagination.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Rare? You haven't even a clue.

I just bought two more ipad 3s this time with the intent of gifting them to family members and both units (brand new) were so bad with red and pink bleed and uneven tint, it was hilarious.

I mean, really it's not luck. It's YOU. An it's the Geniuses. And most of my friends. Your eyes are just inferior and tolerate lower uniformity and have a higher threshold of detecting color and brightness variances.

They're fine for the masses, but not for the discerning consumer.

If you we're wondering how many people are like you and how many are like me? Look through the threads here with 500+ posts in them and that should give you an idea.

So.. Not only is Apple "inferior" the rest of us now have "defective eyes" ?

You might have great eyesight but you've got a huge arrogance problem

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Remember the iPad 2 display was not without issues also. There were a lot of complaints here about pink hues and backlight bleed, plus light leakage from under the edges.

You're right. But for me, personally, the existing problems with the Retina display are more obvious in day to day use. The iPad 2 needed some time after the initial launch, but after a few months most units were very good display-wise. Look at brand new iPad 4 units manufactured weeks ago and you see the same flaws you could see half a year ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing product. It's just a lot less fun to me because of the screen issues. I may be very sensitive for these flaws but it's good to hear others feel the same.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
They make me afraid to open my iP3 and look at it.

Well, you may be one of the millions of satisfied customers that are perfectly fine with their devices. Some people see this, others don't. Don't look for problems, if they don't jump at you it's fine. ;)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
You know, I sympathize with op. I'm not someone who goes home and looks for issues but the last apple products I've bought since iPad 2 have all had huge issues.

iPhone 5 replaced because the digitizer wasn't working

15" rmbp - replaced for dead pixels now going back for bad image retention and a case which isn't screwed together. Also a shift from magenta to cyan on the screen.

iMac - 27" - 3 swaps due to color shift.

iPhone 4S replaced to home button failure

iPhone 4 replaced due to home button failure three times.

It's getting tiresome and honestly if I could find a retina like competing laptop running windows 8 I'd be there.

As far as screen issues I will say I am probably more sensitive to color shift because I do calibrated print work. But on a $3k laptop it shouldn't be an issue.
Apples qc is in the toilet.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I didn't come to this forum to decide beforehand that my iPad 4 would have a screen problem. I have what I consider a perfect iPad 3 with a bright white screen with no tinting. I'm on my 3rd iPad 4 that I am trying to like. It has a warmer screen which is fine but all 3 have had some yellow tinting in various areas of the screen. It's a great upgrade otherwise. I've read here that sometimes the yellow goes away after using the iPad for a short time so I'm keeping this one for now in the hope that this will happen. If not this one will probably go back also and I'll keep the 3rd generation iPad that I was planning on gifting to someone. You really don't have to look hard or be unlucky to see this problem. I have had multiple apple products and this is the first one that I have returned. My 15 in rMBP has a "warm screen" and a very slight yellow tinge to the bottom right corner only noticeable on a light background, but I'm very happy with it and it's not going anywhere. Oh and I am OCD. :)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My 3rd iPad 4 still had a yellow tint on the right side and today I purchased my fourth one from BestBuy - 64GB White Wi-Fi. This one has a great screen and I am very happy with it. It has a slightly warmer screen than my iPad 3, but is bright and most important to me has no yellow tint anywhere. I haven't had a problem with the warmer screens on any of them, but the yellow tint on various areas of the screen are totally unacceptable to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.