Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
What do you think are the chances that Apple will give me a new iPad 4 if I claim an Applecare replacement for my iPad 3?

Do you think the chances are greater if I do this later down the line knowing that iPad 3's aren't produced anymore?

Thanks!

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Very unlikely. I'm pretty sure they have a big stock of refurbished iPad 3s.

They used to do this with iPods way back when, but those days are over.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
0% right now. Slightly more than 0% in the future.

0% chance for the next year or two.
Though the replacement iPads are refurbs they aren't from their "refurb stock" that is listed on the online store. It's from their "replacement stock" which they keep relatively full (if they don't have it in the store that day they will order one from another location/warehouse) so they don't ever have to give you a newer generation iPad.

Were you to have gotten warranty from Best Buy though they would be subjected to in store stock of a "comparable" model.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
0% chance for the next year or two.
Though the replacement iPads are refurbs they aren't from their "refurb stock" that is listed on the online store. It's from their "replacement stock" which they keep relatively full (if they don't have it in the store that day they will order one from another location/warehouse) so they don't ever have to give you a newer generation iPad.

Were you to have gotten warranty from Best Buy though they would be subjected to in store stock of a "comparable" model.

Replacement stock?! Wow, you'd think that wait times for the iPhone 5 or Mini would be shorter had they use their replacement stock for actual in store stock..

Thanks for the answers (kind of, haha).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Replacement stock?! Wow, you'd think that wait times for the iPhone 5 or Mini would be shorter had they use their replacement stock for actual in store stock..

Thanks for the answers (kind of, haha).

Well those are still refurbs and they don't sell refurb models in the stores.
Only online.

I exchanged my iPad Mini last night (7 days after the release of the Mini) at the Apple Store and they had a "fresh" one for me, but were not selling any in the store because they were sold out.

This means it was one that came off the assembly line "faulty" and they replaced a part or two. They won't sell these as new but it's also never been used either. That's just an example. But the one I got probably is less likely to have an issue though because it was more thoroughly tested.

Angler

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
What do you think are the chances that Apple will give me a new iPad 4 if I claim an Applecare replacement for my iPad 3?

Do you think the chances are greater if I do this later down the line knowing that iPad 3's aren't produced anymore?

Thanks!

Why would you do that? If you want a iPad 4 buy it don't lie.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Why would you do that? If you want a iPad 4 buy it don't lie.

Not lying ;) I already have Applecare+ on my iPad 3 and I'd rather claim one replacement and spend $49 than to never use it at all. Why buy Applecare+ and not use it, right? I was just hoping that by getting it replaced that they would upgrade it to a 4 "Apple style."

All answers seem like I'll get an iPad 3 as a replacement. Couldn't hurt to try right?

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Absolutely not. Let us know. You be the lab rat. I really want to know. It's basically a $49 upgrade to a newer generation iPad. Beats having to go through the trouble of selling it.

davey1107

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
$@#$#-wad

What you are describing is fraud. It's illegal and a felony. It's the same as driving your car into the bay to get insurance money. Besides those disincentives to behave like you're describing, if you love Apple's products why would you hurt them financially to scam new units off of them?

Sell your ipad 3 if you want a new one. Resell values are good...I just sold a mint iPad 3 on Amazon and it lost under $100 in value. Use that money to go toward the new unit. You will have gotten a new iPad for only a tiny bit more, and you won't have committed felony fraud. It's a win-win for you, Apple...basically everyone.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
What you are describing is fraud. It's illegal and a felony. It's the same as driving your car into the bay to get insurance money. Besides those disincentives to behave like you're describing, if you love Apple's products why would you hurt them financially to scam new units off of them?

Sell your ipad 3 if you want a new one. Resell values are good...I just sold a mint iPad 3 on Amazon and it lost under $100 in value. Use that money to go toward the new unit. You will have gotten a new iPad for only a tiny bit more, and you won't have committed felony fraud. It's a win-win for you, Apple...basically everyone.

Is this guy serious? I bought AppleCare which includes up to 2 replacements as part of the package. My daughter already dropped and chipped the corner of the iPad so I'll be replacing it anyway. But if I got a 4 instead, what does that concern you? It would be a testament to Apple's customer service and only continue me being a faithful customer. I've bought an iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad 3, and iPod touch within the past 6 months. And yes, my iPhone 5 was chipped upon opening and I kept it unlike most on this forum.

I do not consider AppleCare in the same league as car or house insurance even if you do.

And if you read my original post, I never intended to do this fraudulently. My iPad is chipped and the glass pieces are broken off. I didn't state it but don't judge or assume to know me. I'll refrain from making any blind assumptions about you.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
And if you read my original post, I never intended to do this fraudulently. My iPad is chipped and the glass pieces are broken off. I didn't state it but don't judge or assume to know me. I'll refrain from making any blind assumptions about you.

I went back up and read your original post. The way it was phrased it was easy to assume that you were looking to scam an upgrade, as your reason for doing so wasn't stated.

But that said, Applecare + is insurance, and it would be fraud, so your justification that it's not also lends credence to the idea that you seem to view the replacement as due you because of the mere fact you paid for two replacements. Like you wouldn't be a faithful customer if they replaced your broken iPad with an identical unbroken one?

You pay for medical insurance too, you purposely poke yourself in the eye with a pencil? After all, you did pay to get it fixed if you do! :D

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Car insurance, house insurance, and medical insurance are in no way similar to an accidental damage extended warranty for a product that is valid for two years. Don't try to be a smart ass. The original poster asked a question. If you can't contribute then don't. Quit harassing him and accusing him of wanting to commit fraud.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Car insurance, house insurance, and medical insurance are in no way similar to an accidental damage extended warranty for a product that is valid for two years. Don't try to be a smart ass. The original poster asked a question. If you can't contribute then don't. Quit harassing him and accusing him of wanting to commit fraud.

Thanks bro. Didn't think this would arise in an apple enthusiast forum.... Maybe all of us are too identified with apples patent wars instead of their great products and service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.