Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommytomickey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
So I was trying to get a Verizon contract free iPhone5 online, and this is confirmation page.
As you can see I only need to pay $700.36 for the iPhone (plus tax).
But there is also a monthly plan attached to it, which I don't want to pay (I'm just gonna use it with my T-mobile sim).

So my question is when I receive the iPhone are they going to bill me for the plan service on my credit card right away?
And if I don't want a plan, my only option is to go to a Verizon store to buy the iPhone?

Attachments

• screenshop.jpg
    screenshop.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 440

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I wanna know the answer to this as well. I'm planning to buy an unsubsidized Verizon iPhone 5 too. But know whether to buy it from Verizon or Apple. My contract is up in next year.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Verizon's website isn't programmed to just sell you a phone without a plan. It's not that they won't, it's just that the website isn't set up for it.

Go into a Verizon store or an Apple store for less frustration. I will say though that the Apple store is probably the better bet. It's a high demand device and the Verizon folks are comp'ed on plan sales, so those three that they have in the back may not be available for a non-plan over the counter sale. Just saying.

Apple store is about selling the device - the carrier is a necessary evil for them.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Verizon's website isn't programmed to just sell you a phone without a plan. It's not that they won't, it's just that the website isn't set up for it.

Go into a Verizon store or an Apple store for less frustration. I will say though that the Apple store is probably the better bet. It's a high demand device and the Verizon folks are comp'ed on plan sales, so those three that they have in the back may not be available for a non-plan over the counter sale. Just saying.

Apple store is about selling the device - the carrier is a necessary evil for them.

This. That's the best way to go about it.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Thank you so much for this. I just needed someone to validate the proper way to go about getting an off contract iPhone 5. You summed it up. I apperciate it! :)

tommytomickey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for your help.
One more thing, just wanna make sure i can use GSM sim on Verizon right? any downside on the internet speed?

spasticapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
You can use any GSM sim in the Verizon iPhone 5. I have T-Mobile in mines and I have to say unless you're in a 3G/HSPA+ area that's being refarmed and can catch it on your phone, the speeds definitely suck.

No refarm here yet in Delaware, so I'm still on EDGE and am only getting 20kb down 10kb up max. Luckily I use wifi a lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352485012.994829.jpg

tommytomickey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Just called Verizon, they said they only sell with contract and have to per-order.
They can sell the device only phone only when they have in stock in the store, but they won't have stock since everything need to per-order, and those comes with plan lol

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Just called Verizon, they said they only sell with contract and have to per-order.
They can sell the device only phone only when they have in stock in the store, but they won't have stock since everything need to per-order, and those comes with plan lol

Well you "CALLED". You didn't actually go to the store. That's the reports we want to know. And did you call the 1-800 Verizon or a local Verizon store?

macman312

macrumors 6502
Hey guys go to this forum where this has been discussed at length https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452635/

particularly the last 2 pages

Anyway I have spoken at length to verizon reps on their live chat and you can cancel the plan without charge and have the phone UNLOCKED to use with what ever carrier you want

below is my conversation

Verizon Rep: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Me: Hi I want to purchase a iPhone 5 without a plan or anything. Just the device on its own
Verizon Rep: I'd be happy to assist you.
Verizon Rep: ‪You can order the phone at full price on the wesite.‬
Me: Yes I understand that but you can't order it without a plan is that correct?
Verizon Rep: ‪You will need to choose a plan when ordering online but cancel it when you reeive the phone.‬
Me: and is there a fee to cancel it?
Verizon Rep: ‪No.‬

to order

Go to https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic

select new customer (next)
enter your zip code (next)
select order device with wireless service (next)
select individual customer
then at the top of the page where it says '2 year contract' change that from the drop down menu to month-month
then select the size/colour you want (next)
then select a plan- any plan because you can cancel it at no charge once you receive the phone (next)

then it will give you the option of buying a case/screen protector/ car charger

then you need to enter your address and you will also need your social number and some sort of other ID number as well

Hope that helped

I want to buy one unlocked as well but I need to know from someone in NY is there stock/will there be by nov 23/24? or should I just order one online?? As I am not from the US ordering online is going to be hard because I don't have a social....(as I am Australian)...... Otherwise I will just order it online

tommytomickey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
I did call the Verizon retail store around me, not the customer service number.
I gave it up since they just want to sell you with the plan.
So I called an apple store around me and they have the STOCK! Bought one within 1 mins, no queue, I guess no one even know they have stock.
Lucky Friday for me, now I just need to worry about cutting my sim into nano sim.

I just need to get a cutter from ebay to cut my Straight Talk sim and it should work right?
:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

spasticapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
You don't really need a sim cutter as its unbelievably easy to cut down to nano size. I've done 3 regular and 4 micro with just scissors and they've all worked perfectly.

Basically you have to cut around the gold contact with very little plastic around it. That way if its still to big to fit in the tray you can trim away the plastic little by little.

bfern002

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
California
I actually purchased an unsubsidized iPhone 5 from Verizon online about a month ago. A month-to-month contract was attached to the line at time of purchase, and the phone arrived with a sim pre-installed and pre-activated. All I did was place a non-billing suspension on my line (I'm currently out of the country and won't be returning until mid-November) so I'm not responsible for billing until i re-activate the line. All pretty painless, especially if you plan on running out your current GSM contract.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Does Apple charge your card full price when you do that pick up at store feature from the Apple website or do they do the transaction when you arrive at the Apple Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.