Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi

Howto transcode any format to *.flv. Tryed VideoMonkey, but this gives *.swf :mad:

e5575f26747cc5e4cb9e0ba3edfca2e36e608dbe.jpg

Which free tool? Open source prefers.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If I may ask, why do you need FLV? It has been more or less deprecated in favor for H.264, which Flash handles natively and is much more efficient.

You could use Handbrake to convert your videos to H.264 (in an MP4 container).

If you must use FLV, ffmpeg (free, open source) can do that. It is a command-line application in its pure form, but there are several GUI wrappers available such as ffmpegx.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
If I may ask, why do you need FLV? It has been more or less deprecated in favor for H.264, which Flash handles natively and is much more efficient.

I need to upload video files to a proprietary board software. The board can only display *.flv browser based. If you upload *.mp4 clients need to download and watch local.

I agree with you that *.flv is crap :)

You could use Handbrake to convert your videos to H.264 (in an MP4 container).

If you must use FLV, ffmpeg (free, open source) can do that. It is a command-line application in its pure form, but there are several GUI wrappers available such as ffmpegx.

I need *.flv
Can you give me example syntax. As generic as possible.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

As generic as possible:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov outputfile.flv

The output will probably either not look all that great, or have a huge file size. You can begin to control the bitrate of the video (b:v) and audio (b:a) like this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov -b:v 400k -b:a 320k outputfile.flv

This thread contains useful information. You will also see that you can use H.264 within an FLV container, which may still work with your proprietary setup.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I need to upload video files to a proprietary board software. ... If you upload *.mp4 clients need to download and watch local.

I need *.flv
By your own admission, every user will be able to watch the video in h.264 format. However, iPhone and iPad users will not be able to watch the video if it is in .flv format.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
As generic as possible:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov outputfile.flv

The output will probably either not look all that great, or have a huge file size. You can begin to control the bitrate of the video (b:v) and audio (b:a) like this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov -b:v 400k -b:a 320k outputfile.flv

This thread contains useful information. You will also see that you can use H.264 within an FLV container, which may still work with your proprietary setup.

thanks.

the "As generic as possible" command produce a real bad result (pixelation). Will try and error with the arguments.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
thanks.

the "As generic as possible" command produce a real bad result (pixelation). Will try and error with the arguments.

Just shortly:
.flv is just a container. If the site doesn't care what's inside and you have an .mov file with an acceptable size and quality, you can just copy the streams inside and change the container to .flv. The command line for that would be

Code:
ffmpeg -i Infile.mov -acodec copy -vcodec copy Outfile.flv

Maybe that works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.