Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I managed to unload my 6 month old ipad 3 for what i paid for it new when there was a sale for $50 off tablets. Anyway, sold it just before the launch of the new models.

Now, I can buy a ipad 4, which is actually cheaper now in canada than the 3 was by $20. Buy a mini, or wait for the ipad3 refurb to come back in stock on apple.ca.

I think I'd go for the ipad 3 16gb refurb at $380 over the lot of em, but seeing as its not available, and seeing as I have experience with the 2 and 3 ipad, and having all my initial investment back to buy something new, what would you pick?

Last edited:

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
I managed to unload my 6 month old ipad 6 for what i paid for it new when there was a sale for $50 off tablets. Anyway, sold it just before the launch of the new models.

Now, I can buy a ipad 4, which is actually cheaper now in canada than the 3 was by $20. Buy a mini, or wait for the ipad3 refurb to come back in stock on apple.ca.

I think I'd go for the ipad 3 16gb refurb at $380 over the lot of em, but seeing as its not available, and seeing as I have experience with the 2 and 3 ipad, and having all my initial investment back to buy something new, what would you pick?

You sold an iPad 6? Why would you want to downgrade to a 2, 3, or 4? Much less a 5 even?:D

Sep 10, 2012
Sold my 3 a couple of days ago (had it from day dot).

Picked up a 4 today ... can definitely notice the difference so that's what I'd do if I was you.

I also switched to white which I'm pleased about. I was constantly wiping the black iPad after each use as it just looked greasy (due to fingerprints) but with the white you really do not notice them.

Anyway, what's the point of buying another 3 if you just sold a 3 ... just to make a couple of bucks? Not worth the hassle.

Get a 4 while they are fresh, and enjoy ;)

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Which model of 3 did you have, and how much did you get out of it? I am curious, because most places I have checked you don't get close to what you paid for it.
Sold my 3 a couple of days ago (had it from day dot).

Picked up a 4 today ... can definitely notice the difference so that's what I'd do if I was you.

I also switched to white which I'm pleased about. I was constantly wiping the black iPad after each use as it just looked greasy (due to fingerprints) but with the white you really do not notice them.

Anyway, what's the point of buying another 3 if you just sold a 3 ... just to make a couple of bucks? Not worth the hassle.

Get a 4 while they are fresh, and enjoy ;)

Sep 10, 2012
Which model of 3 did you have, and how much did you get out of it? I am curious, because most places I have checked you don't get close to what you paid for it.

I had the top end, unlocked black model which cost me £659 from the Apple Store.

Got £500 for it on eBay ... minus shipping, fees (eBay buy it now, plus PayPal) I ended up clearing roughly £420.

I bought the white 4 in 64 gig. Even though I went for cellular on my 3 only used it once! So I'm not bothering with it this time, which saves me a hundred quid. The thing never leaves the home, anyway, but if it did I could always tether with my iPhone 5.

Be lively if you are going to flog your 3 as the prices will be going down ...

----------

By the way, I'm telling everyone about this superb tip which will work across all of your devices.

Check it out, it's really handy ...

http://marcos.kirsch.com.mx/2012/04/29/font-size-bookmarklets/

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012

it was the base model 16 gb, but sold it 2 weeks before the "we have a little more to show you" event. Guess the guy didn't realize there was a new ipad comming out, I didn't know either.

----------

You sold an iPad 6? Why would you want to downgrade to a 2, 3, or 4? Much less a 5 even?:D

HAHA, fixed that in the first post. getting ahead of myself for sure.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
AHHH, can't decide between the 3 or 4, i picked up a 3 64gb refurb off apple.ca for $550, and i have a 4 reserved at staples for $499. The mini is out as the screen is awful for txt.

Anyway, I have about 6 30pin connectors in every place i go, bedroom, laptop, two vehicles, both mine and wifes work location. Im wondering what I should do, return the 64gb and get the 16gb ipad4 or keep the 3. I wonder about resale value in a year (or 6 months) when the ipad 5 "the New thinner/lighter iPad with retina display" comes out. I don't see people paying the premium for the 64gb or for the 2 model old ipad3. Im thinking my safest bet is with the ipad4 16gb, I think it'll be the best for resaleability.

I currently have 32gb's used on my ipad 64gb now, but thats all movies, that don't need to be on there. I had an ipad 3 16gb way before and managed, but it was always full.

I dunno what I should do. Keep the 3 and be happy, or get the 4 and be happy that in the back of my mind its 2x faster and wifi is faster, and speakers are louder, even if I can't tell the difference in actual use....

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
If you value speed over storage, go 4.

If you value storage over speed, go 3.

Personally, I would go with the 3. The screen is the same, storage is greater, and you already have a ton of cables that fit.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I sold my 64gb at&t ipad3 and got exactly what I paid for a 32gb verizon ipad4, so I'm happy. No matter how much crap I threw at it, 64gb was overkill for me atleast.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
OH, forgot to mention that the ipad 3 64gb I have also is iOS 5.01

I have access to TONS of apps on a torrent im a member of, but afraid of what jailbreaking would yeild.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.