Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I don't know you're going to have to post the actual model numbers because some of the newer Toshiba 5400's are faster than last years 7200's. It is not cut and dry. Number of platters, density of the platters and spindle speed and cache all matter. But we are talking HDD's so the difs are small. SSD would be a whole other ballgame.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I don't know you're going to have to post the actual model numbers because some of the newer Toshiba 5400's are faster than last years 7200's. It is not cut and dry. Number of platters, density of the platters and spindle speed and cache all matter. But we are talking HDD's so the difs are small. SSD would be a whole other ballgame.

Thanks, I'm replacing the original Toshiba drive from 2008. I'm thinking (hoping) the HTS725050A7E630 I just ordered from Amazon should be a big improvement. It's replacing a TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF... I got the HGST for $60...

Coachingguy

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks, I'm replacing the original Toshiba drive from 2008. I'm thinking (hoping) the HTS725050A7E630 I just ordered from Amazon should be a big improvement. It's replacing a TOSHIBA MK2555GSXF... I got the HGST for $60...

Coachingguy

Hitachi:
82MB/s Seq Read
83MB/s Seq Write
~15ms Response Time (Unless they improved it in new model)

Toshiba:
~50MB/s Seq Read
25-40MB/s Seq Write
~19ms Response Time

You'll feel something but it won't blow your hair back or anything. You can get these numbers by checking around. I did.

For reference an Intel 520 SSD:
555MB/s Seq Read
525MB/s Seq Write
0.1ms Response Time

On your Macbook from 2008:
~270MB/s both ways same everything else.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks Guys!

It's a 4 year old machine, I wasn't willing to invest any real money... I keep running into the not enough space for start up disk... I just wanted to update the HD for the laptop I use when I'm out in the woods taking pictures/back-up machine. I keep moving pictures off of it, but I only have about 4-6 gigs available at any time. I'm not doing the upgrade for the speed increase necessarily, I was just curious.

It's not worth my putting in a 500 gig SSD for $300 - $400... I'm going to get the 13" Retina here over the Holidays, but I wanted this MBP to still be useable.

Thanks for all the comments.

Coachingguy

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Hey Gang!

I'm upgrading my Late '08 MBP Toshiba Hard drive, 250 gig 5400 rpm, 8mb to a 500 gig, 7200 rpm, 32MB HGST drive.

What can I expect?

Coachingguy

Depending on the type of application, it could be up to around 1.5 times faster.
Maximal difference would be in cases where the application is hard drive intensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.