Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Shame, shame, shame...

Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

Some people think this comment was a bit of sarcasm, and some think it is a horrible comment.

Let's ask some starving people in Africa if their next meal is more important than some people far away in a foreign land who all live much better than they do and chose to build so close to the ocean - which even starving people in Africa know is a dumb thing to do.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
3 million from Samsung.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/20309

thanks both Apple + Samsung.

Interesting that Samsung posted this on their website while apple doesn't seem to have made any public announcement about it.

BUT the fact that they announce it so publicly...

Did you even read the article? This email was an internal one sent to employees. Where exactly was it "announced"?

Can't win, even when there's no announcement there are still accusations of doing it for publicity...if they keep it totally secret, the haters whine that they didn't make a donation. Can't win.

Samsung donated on Nov 5, Apple did it on Nov 8.

We don't know that, Apple sent the email on Nov 8. They might have sent the donation then, they might have sent it days earlier.

Honestly, based on all the horrible, insensitive reactions evidenced here (and I'm sure it's typical of any social media), if I were a major company I'd give donations anonymously. The haters and hypocrites can suck it.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Too bad the Red Cross is a CORRUPT organization that overpays its executives and uses donations to finance their own debt. What exactly did they do in Haiti with the $354 million they got from people? I wonder if they've got to Staten Island yet... If the Red Cross is good anything, it's donation inovation, you can literally donate from an atm, the app store, texting, and probably a gas pump.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
i guess this should put those that insisted Apple never gives anything in their place. I hope AppleScruff1 see's this as he/she was one of the most negative.

----------

This is pathetic...it would have been better if they donating nothing than donating a completely insignificant amount. This is literally the same as me donating 75 cents.

I bet if you were one of the ones in need you wouldn't think it was so pathetic. I applaud them for doing this! When a disaster like this happens, every single dollar can make a difference.

----------

Indeed. This donation is for publicity only.

:apple:

You know...I really hate when people take every nice gesture and seem to make it into something negative. At least they have done something.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
I wonder how much money the red cross rakes in actually goes to the people that need it that they feature in their commercials....

I wouldn't doubt if more than 50% of donated money goes to shore up their books and to pay the "CEO" her massive salary...

Please do your research before making claims like this. ABC did a blurb on this and it was shown that ~5% goes to administrative needs (salary, etc.) and another ~5% goes to logistics. Most of the rest goes to relief. My understanding is that 85%-90% makes it to the intended targets.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part"

Like someone mention earlier this is pennies. It's almost sad in the sense that most of the people who were effected own apple products and the best apple can do is 2.5 million?.

Because that's for the shareholders to decide to do, not some Apple employee, even if named "Cook". If you own Apple stock or got some dividends, you are certainly welcome to donate that share of Apple's or your net worth.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Some people think this comment was a bit of sarcasm, and some think it is a horrible comment.

Let's ask some starving people in Africa if their next meal is more important than some people far away in a foreign land who all live much better than they do and chose to build so close to the ocean - which even starving people in Africa know is a dumb thing to do.

Deciding which cause is more deserving is a futile effort. Yes, there are starving people in Africa. There are also people here with no shelter as we're heading into winter. Whether you believe they were smart for living where they do or not is your business. The fact is, people need help. If you want to make your donation to people living in Africa that need food, be my guest. I respect your decision. Maybe you should respect the decisions of others when they choose a charity to support.

We all have ideals and causes that we think are more important than others, often for personal reasons. Each person or company has to decide which causes to support, because no one can support them all. Have a little respect for others. Just because they choose to help the world in a different way than you do, it doesn't mean they don't care.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
$2.5mil is great and all, but it's peanuts when you consider that Lady Gaga donated $1 million of her personal funds to her city.

Surely one of the largest companies in the world could've spared a bit more.

"To New York and The American Red Cross

Today I pledge 1 million dollars to New York & The American Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy Relief. If it wasn't for NYC: the Lower Eastside, Harlem, the Bronx and Brooklyn, I would not be the woman or artist that I am today. New York is relentless ambition, a drive to succeed, a place where there is a natural pursuit of diversity through compassion. Please accept this gift on behalf of myself, my parents Joe and Cynthia, and my sister Natali; with our deepest gratitude New York for raising us. Thank you for helping me build my spirit. I will now help you rebuild yours.

Sincerely, Lady Gaga and The Germanottas"

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
an email sent to Apple employees by CEO Tim Cook announcing that the company has donated $2.5 million to the American Red Cross in support of Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

I suppose that's an improvement over Steve Jobs (i.e. his only charity was himself), but it's still LESS than pocket change to Apple (i.e. they could have given $2.5 BILLION and it wouldn't have hurt them a bit so I chalk it up to publicity/positive marketing advertising more than anything else and based on the responses here, I'd say it's working.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Now I understand your love for old technology (i.e. physical media). At least you didn't say "Pony Express."

BTW - My customers pay me electronically. ;)

You should learn to recognize humor. After you recognize it - you can try learning how to produce it yourself. ;)

Blu-Ray is not old technology. It's current and very viable technology. Get your head out of the sand. And please - don't take this thread off topic.

We're discussing the fact that it's great that Apple gave something to those in need. And there's no need in this thread to bring up any other charity, continent, etc that is just as deserving or "more" deserving.

Fact is - lives were lost. Homes destroyed. People still without power, water and even food. They are in need too. It's sickening for someone to suggest that because they lived in a coastal area they should have known better. Maybe those people are unfamiliar with the geography and the people who live there. Because it's such an incredible ignorant comment to make.

Most of these displaced people - and the ones that died (ie. two young children who were swept out of their mothers arms during flooding) aren't living in the Hamptons with 2nd homes. A lot were blue collar workers - some of which were already struggling to get by.

Again - some people here should really just be ashamed of their post and give themselves a time out.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Shame the money didnt go to a much more deserving causes.

Helping out your fellow human beings in time of need or after a natural disaster like this, is the right thing to do. And if 'SANDY' doesn't qualify in your eyes, then I don't know what would. Your post comes across as flippant and/or heartless.

I knew someone would have to complain about it. What cause could be more important than helping your fellow citizen in time of great need?

What a disgusting comment to make. What's a "shame" is your inhumanity.

Am I the only one who interpreted Sensation's comment as being in jest? At least I hope it was in jest.

Let's just pretend it was in jest, otherwise I don't understand how on earth this poster Sensation got 33 up votes.

This is disgusting. 2.5 million for a company that has 100 plus BILLION in CASH! All you people saying its nice of apple have no logic for money and how much apple is really worth. You are talking about one of the biggest disasters in US History and apple throws a little 2.5 million dollar check on the table and says "ok we did our part" Like someone mention earlier this is pennies.......

APPLE is not a privately owned company, and as such there is a limit to what they can give in direct financial aid, as in the end, they are accountable to their shareholders for every $ spent.

It is so good to see Apple helping hurricane Sandy's victims. Although I have seen higher donations from private parties, it was a nice gesture. BUT the fact that they announce it so publicly, it is all for publicity, sad but true.

Let's not jump to conclusions, cause we don't know how 9to5Mac got hold of the letter.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
uumm..... if my stock was dropping this fast, I would spend my money and make something happen... not just keep it in the bank and keep my products stale... a 5 year old OS and 100+ billions isn't going to help your stock recover

Apple probably has dozens of half-ready projects and half-baked ideas in the works. It they took your advice and pushed one of them out the door just because the stock market got a little skittish, do you really think that would help their share price?

----------

Next earthquake in California, I'm donating 50 cents. At least I did something.

Good for you. I'll probably donate a hundred bucks or so.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I am glad that they donated. There will always be some event or cause that someone will think is better to donate to. Well, if you feel that way, then donate to it. Apple felt this was a worthy cause to donate to.

An example was a bunch of 6th graders found out that their favorite crossing guards car was stolen. On their own, they gathered up donations and had a bake sale and did some other work to gather money. They also got a local dealer to give a very low cost on a used car and purchased her a new car. I thought it was a great story and quite inspiring, yet all anyone could really say about it was that they should have donated the money to starving people in africa. Well to the 6th graders their world is quite small so to them, their efforts were HUGE and they were.

So basically, help your fellow man as you see fit and dont care how anyone judges you for how you help.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I suppose that's an improvement over Steve Jobs (i.e. his only charity was himself), but it's still LESS than pocket change to Apple (i.e. they could have given $2.5 BILLION and it wouldn't have hurt them a bit so I chalk it up to publicity/positive marketing advertising more than anything else and based on the responses here, I'd say it's working.

So what percentage of your overallworth did you give to victims?

----------

$90 billion in cash and only donating $2.5 million? Oh, that's cheap Apple, very cheap :(

I ask you the same question I ask others. what percentage of your worth did you donate?

kdarling

macrumors P6
I ask you the same question I ask others. what percentage of your worth did you donate?

You could also ask what percentage tax rate did most people pay in comparison to Apple.

The point is, none of that matters in this case.

It was nice of Apple to donate. Especially considering they're Left Coast and donated for a Right Coast disaster. I suspect if the Big One hits California, they'd donate much more.

Likewise, Samsung USA is headquartered in New Jersey, so it's fitting for them to donate more for their own neighborhood.

--

Living in the Northeast, I have to say that I'm stunned at how shallow the emergency planning is. Seriously, no one ever thought that refineries and ports could get knocked out, leading to the majority of gas stations being closed now for almost two weeks?

God help us all if a more widespread disaster ever hits the U.S.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Please do your research before making claims like this. ABC did a blurb on this and it was shown that ~5% goes to administrative needs (salary, etc.) and another ~5% goes to logistics. Most of the rest goes to relief. My understanding is that 85%-90% makes it to the intended targets.

Absolutely correct. Charity navigator still ranks the Red Cross as the number one most lean most efficient charity.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006
$2.5 million isn't that much when you have 150 billion stashed away...$10 million would have been a better donation in my view..

----------

We have been in Africa since the 50's showing them how to farm...donating machinery and £milions upon millions...it just doesn't work...their own governments abuse this money...stash it away for their own use...so for me charity begins at home...or until the USA invades and throws them out...thier good at that
:p

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
This is a Joke

this is like me or you giving a beggar a few pennies, id have been impressed if it had 2.5 Billion with a B..

Yeah!!!! They have over 100 Billion in cash. They should at the very minimum be giving about 50 Billion. What a selfish, stingy, evil company. Thanks for nothing Apple.... You really suck. I'm returning my iPad and my iMac and my Mac Pro and my iPhone and my lightning adapter and, and... Well, maybe not my lightning adapter or my iPhone , but everything else goes...Except maybe my Mac Pro... I need that for work. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.