Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
That's probably it - it's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for that guy to replicate the issue on a scientific basis with his hands only, especially when you may be touching the screen with your palm or simply doing what is said above.

Unless this is demonstrated with a robot/machine doing it on EXACTLY the same distances, this is a non-issue.

Another possibility, if the problem is confirmed, is that it might be a buffer problem related to the new in-cell technology...a firmware update should be able to fix it, I presume.

Why does it need to be done "scientifically". People don't use robots to operate their phone. This issue has caused problems for me when scrolling down a long website and occasionally one of the swipes don't work which makes the accelerated scrolling sometimes hard to activate.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Why does it need to be done "scientifically". People don't use robots to operate their phone. This issue has caused problems for me when scrolling down a long website and occasionally one of the swipes don't work which makes the accelerated scrolling sometimes hard to activate.

That's exactly why the test needs to be performed scientifically, in order to exclude other possibilities. Could it be the feature against accidental touches? Could it be that you are touching on a different point at the same time? How far are your fingers going when moving across the screen? What about nails? And so on and so forth.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Seems like thismis definitely a hardware problem with the 4 inch screens. I replicated it with 2 iPhone 5s and the 5th gen iPod touch. The new mini and iPad 4th gen it was a no go.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
i've never noticed it in real time usage so i guess it's not that big a deal. but........ i was able to replicate that issue on my iphone 5 (iOS 6.0.1)

Likewise. Some buffer overflow or something possibly?

JetStar

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
As a few commenters posted earlier, it's likely a software issue that is detecting accidental input along the edges of the screen. I have replicated the issue if I scroll diagonally quickly from edge to edge. However, when I scroll diagonally quickly without going near the edges I have no problems and the screen stays in sync with my finger.
Go ahead and try it.

jesusvel101

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
I have tried this very exercise and didnt come up with the same results. I am thinking this an exercise to debunk the latest iPhone. :mad:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Typical, post Jobs, quality control issues.

EDIT: Tried it on my iPhone 5 and I have the same issue. Scrollgate

Apparently you don't remember "Antenna Gate". Jobs was very much alive and kicking at the time. What he said was, paraphrasing: "This is no big deal, if you want to make it a big deal we will give you a free plastic cover, now get lost.
Yes, I wish he was still around to tell everybody making a big deal out of this stupid, idiotic, so called issue to ******* Off.

PS. I have the new iPod Touch and I love it. So far I have had no need to scroll as fast as humanly possible with my finger moving diagonally, and I never will. :cool:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
SHOOT. NOTE TO SELF: Cash out APPL stocks after Q1 results ;)

Yeah, but don't forget if you wait till January, capital gains goes from 15% to 20%. Hope the stock rises before December 31. I will sell with 15% gains tax.
PS: Obama's goal is capital gains at 40% by the end of his last term. Government will get almost half your cash. It has been at 40% many years ago.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Not saying this isn't real, but I can't make it happen. I increased the length of my inbox to 1 month (about 2000 emails after deletions) and I haven't been able to make it stall. What am I doing wrong? :eek:

lxchee

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Diagonal Swipes problem with iPhone 5 + iOS 6.0.1

I am using the iPhone 5 and started noticing this problem ONLY after updating it to iOS 6.0.1, when i play VTT (virtual table tennis game), which i need to react very fast and swipes all over the screen. At first i thought i accidentally touched the edge when i swiped. Then i begin the adjust my playing style and i still have this problem. I do not have the problem if my smashes/swipes are vertical (down the line drives). But when i try to hit cross court (diagonal swipes) sometimes it works, sometimes the table tennis bat just stop moving mid air, and i totally miss the shot. I have emailed this problem to the app developer thinking because its not a iPhone 5 optimized app (its a 960x640 screen size app), which causes this problem.

I played this game almost everyday, from iPhone 4, to 4S to 5, at a very high pro level (i climb my way up there). I didnt have any problem (even with the iPhone 5) until i updated it to iOS 6.0.1. So, i supposed this is OS related issue, which can be solved with the upcoming iOS 6.1 update (if Forstall, Federringhi or Cue address it). Sincerely hope i can play my favourite game without having to change my swipe/swing to adapt to the issue again.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
So the iPhone 5 can't keep up the scroll motion when you move your finger incredibly fast?

Okay.
But the previous versions of the iPhone worked fine, which makes the iPhone 5 a downgrade (in addition to the scratching and the terrible Apple Maps).

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Then keep this in mind if its a tad confusing for you and thank The Stranglers for their 80's single.... Which also echoed similar sentiments extolling the wisdom of not being an iSheep .... Amazing considering it was 30 years earlier, readers ;)

"Fools Rush Out"

Cheers!

That's what I love about hindsight ... it's just awesome.

Here's another quote.

To all those who have suffered as a consequence of our troubled past I extend my sincere thoughts and deep sympathy. With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all.

- Queen Elizabeth II​

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
But the previous versions of the iPhone worked fine, which makes the iPhone 5 a downgrade (in addition to the scratching and the terrible Apple Maps).

I think you should get one of these for your phone if you are worried about it getting scratched.

13585-Wooded-Jewellery-Pedestals-Display-Showcases-1.jpg

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Just discovered another hardware glitch.
Bought the new 12W charger to fast charge the phone.

It freezes the side swipe, causing presses only opening apps.

As soon as I unplug, swipe returns.

Even when I pass through a rechargeable battery, the charge goes through higher and causes the swipe to freeze.

Earlier before that my phone wouldn't wake. Will test that further.

The box and website does say the 12W charger is compatible with iPhone.

Tim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.