Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I have returned my Mini so maybe I'm biased but.........

Tim Cook was going on about Android tablets just having scaled up phone apps. But in reality, the Mini's biggest weakness from my perspective is that it runs scaled down iPad apps - where the fonts mainly but some times also the UI is too small to use. So pot and kettle I'm afraid. At least in my Nexus 7 I can scale the fonts in phone apps up.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Tim Cook was going on about Android tablets just having scaled up phone apps. But in reality, the Mini's biggest weakness from my perspective is that it runs scaled down iPad apps - where the fonts mainly but some times also the UI is too small to use. So pot and kettle I'm afraid. At least in my Nexus 7 I can scale the fonts in phone apps up.

Misread your post.

Last edited:

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area

I think I know what you mean. Certain apps like Reminders which use a split screen or two column view look a little too small or cramped on the mini. Such apps were initially designed to take advantage of the full sized iPad's larger screen. Maybe down the road such apps will get their own custom iPad mini layout, similar to the way many apps currently use different layouts for respective devices. Such as in the case of Reminders or Notes where you currently have a one column view on the iPhone and a two column view on the iPad.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
How can a simple exchange of a point of view hurt so much?

No hurt at all, the OP prefers his Nexus, as is his right to do so. He would be better off posting about his Nexus on a Nexus forum rather than on an iOS forum.

In the same way I would point people to the appropriate forum if they started discussing Canon cameras or Rolex watches (for example) in the iPad forum.

The forum is called iPad forum for a reason.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

The iPad apps don't scale down on the iPad Mini.

That's like saying a 1080p movie is scaling up or down based on HDTV screen size. 1080p movies don't have to scale when playing on 1080p HDTV regardless of screen size.

It's a good that the whole UI doesn't scale. However, Apple should allow us to change the font size and button icon size. It's too small on the iPad Mini for some apps.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
No hurt at all, the OP prefers his Nexus, as is his right to do so. He would be better off posting about his Nexus on a Nexus forum rather than on an iOS forum.

In the same way I would point people to the appropriate forum if they started discussing Canon cameras or Rolex watches (for example) in the iPad forum.

And yes I have Apple everything else including a 4th gen iPad. And yes I love the Mini apart from the screen. And yes its nicer than my N7. Just not right for me. It's very difficult to fit apps to different screen sizes. Apple have used this to their PR advantage in the past. Now they are wrestling with the problem themselves. That's all.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

The OP brought up a valid point, some apps designed for the 9.7" iPad just don't translate well to the mini's 7.9" display. That point is relevant to an iPad forum regardless of whatever tablet he or she may have switched to.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I have yet to find an app that I felt was any different on the mini vs the regular screen. I dont necessarily want scaled up text in apps and phone apps on a tablet really are a mess. I think that is worse than what apple has done here. Text is smaller but Im not sure i want big text on a mini....i do agree that apps should be made specifically fo the mini.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

OP it can happen with any app really. I downloaded a game yesterday that looked pretty awful on my iPad 2. As far as Tim Cook goes take what he says with a grain of salt. He's not going to make the competition look good. ;)

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I had a iPad 4 and a mini and returned my iPad 4. It just wasn't getting any use.

I did just the opposite. When the mini gets retina, I will try it again, but I couldn't handle something with the screen. I would start getting headaches while using the mini.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
The OP brought up a valid point, some apps designed for the 9.7" iPad just don't translate well to the mini's 7.9" display. That point is relevant to an iPad forum regardless of whatever tablet he or she may have switched to.

Agreed that it is relevant to Ipad mini. It is a no win issue for manufacturer like Apple or Samsung. Apps scaling is a time consuming task that developer does not want to spend their resource on. Allowing scaling of font may make it easier to read the text but the overall layout of the screen can be out of proportion because the text can take up space that is meant for the graphic details.

Android and IOS take an opposing view of how to deal with the multiple resolution/display size problem in a mobile device. Android falls into a hardware centric view of the world (I don't think Google plan it that way. But they let manufacturer decide on the resolution and size. So manufacturer like Samsung, HTC etc will just pick the one that is easiest on their budget). They make device base on optimal price/performance of hardware. So we see superior spec device at a lower price point than Apple device. Apple on the other hand, is stuck with a software centric view where they design their device around minimal interruption of software developers. We saw they made design compromise in Iphone 5, Ipad 3, and Ipad mini with some very strange display resolution and size decision.

Over time, I think the software centric view that Apple is taking will win more users. At some point the bump in display resolution or size would not make any difference to our eyes and usage of the device. i.e. how much more clearer will the image look once you pass the retina resolution for that device type? (e.g. Nexus 10 has better spec in display resolution than Ipad 3/4, and I would love to see if it make any difference in head to head comparison). How many more size do we need to have other than small (4 inches to 5inch display), medium (7inches to 8 inches), large (10inch +-). But the number of app developed over time can reach in the millions range. Some of these apps which has users but no more developing effort behind them. Asking developers to go back to every apps and change their layout once a new display resolution or size come out is impractical.

The too small "button" and "font" problem for mini is probably here to stay. It will be a device for the younger generation who has better eyesight. A solution is for Apple to make Ipad 5 much lighter and thinner. If they can do that Ipad 5 will be much more mobile (as oppose to Ipad 4 is portable now). I would love to see an Ipad 5 that has retina display but weight less around 14-16 oz (vs 10.6 oz for Ipad mini).

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009

This. The fault with the mini's resolution is less about pixels and more about the less-than-optimal DPI for UI buttons, text, etc.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I have yet to find an app that I felt was any different on the mini vs the regular screen.
You won't. The mini has the same resolution as the iPad 2, and app developpers aren't supposed to treat the two iPad size variants differently.
So, holding the mini closer to your eyes, pixels and the whole screen appear to your brain exactly the same as an iPad 2.
Now how much closer is another question.

Someone on this other thread posted 1 example.
It's indeed more interesting to compare the physical size of elements on the iPad mini with the iPhone. It can start to look like a problem when text is larger on the iPhone.
No surprise when you compare it with the iPad 9.7" : it's 19% smaller, just hold it closer and it looks the same.

apps should be made specifically fo the mini.
Then apps would not look the same anymore on the 7.9" and 9.7". And then, was 1024x768 the good choice for the future with the mini?

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
point of view

How can a simple exchange of a point of view hurt so much?
some people think they are so much better and smarter then everyone else they have to be defensive all the time. It makes them feel so much better about themself if they can knock someone down online.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I noticed the same thing

I went to check out the iPad mini at the apple store this week and I noticed the same thing. The UI was just a bit too small to for example easily select tabs in safari. I hope that apple adds the ability to increase font sizes etc in the next iOS update. It is easier to use the touch interface on tablets like the nexus 7 that are built for that screen size. This is not to say that the iPad mini isn't a good tablet but this is an issue apple should address.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
A twist

Here's a twist on this issue:

I have a chess app that I use on iPhone, shredder chess, and have used in 2X mode on iPads.

On iPad "4" The blown up chess app looks great, is totally usable with smoothed out fonts and graphics.

On iPad Mini, the blown up chess app looks terrible, with fonts very fuzzy, fuzzier than they need to be, as well as pixelated graphics. I believe the word is aliased. Unusable.

Just an observation. I'm newish to iPads so probably it's well known that retina iPads employ some serious smoothing/anti aliasing when using iPhone apps, whilst iPad 2 and mini just literally magnify away,

Cheers

Ps I love them all the mini is a form factor winner for us and has its place :)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I did just the opposite. When the mini gets retina, I will try it again, but I couldn't handle something with the screen. I would start getting headaches while using the mini.

Honestly, i dont think youll like it even when it gets retina display.you just like a bigger size overall.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
All that Apple stuff in your sig and you choose a platform that cannot leverage so much of the content you already own.

penny wise pound foolish.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Do you have any examples so others can see them and comment?

I don't have my mini yet, pre-ordered the LTE, so I can't give examples from my own experience, but here is what anther member had to say...

I think I know what you mean. Certain apps like Reminders which use a split screen or two column view look a little too small or cramped on the mini. Such apps were initially designed to take advantage of the full sized iPad's larger screen. Maybe down the road such apps will get their own custom iPad mini layout, similar to the way many apps currently use different layouts for respective devices. Such as in the case of Reminders or Notes where you currently have a one column view on the iPhone and a two column view on the iPad.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the OP's argument, only stating that he has a valid topic for this forum

----------

Look out! I got this one!

THAT WAS A THING SAID BY...SHE SAID...WAIT, I CAN DO THIS. SHE WAS WHO...NO, UMMM....

Cr@p!

Regards,
Tom
Said the actress to the bishop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.