Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Since I have to wait until the 26th for my mini to come in I played around with one at best buy today to see how I like it. They had it right next to the iPad 4. I have to say I'm very impressed with the mini. I don't no what people are complaining about the screen. It looked great to me and much better then the iPad 2. I had an iPad 3 since March until I sold it last week. I think I'm going to really like the mini. It seemed just as fast as my iPad 3 and it should since the iPad 2 in some cases was actually faster then the 3. Its funny listening to people complain about the screen when its not an issue. I see myself getting even more use out of the mini then i did with the 3.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Since I have to wait until the 26th for my mini to come in I played around with one at best buy today to see how I like it. They had it right next to the iPad 4. I have to say I'm very impressed with the mini. I don't no what people are complaining about the screen. It looked great to me and much better then the iPad 2. I had an iPad 3 since March until I sold it last week. I think I'm going to really like the mini. It seemed just as fast as my iPad 3 and it should since the iPad 2 in some cases was actually faster then the 3. Its funny listening to people complain about the screen when its not an issue. I see myself getting even more use out of the mini then i did with the 3.

I hope you have a better experience than I did! I, like you, saw it in store and thought the screen was fine. COMPLETELY changed when I got home with it. After two days it went back to the store and I got an iPad 4. Only apple product I felt like I was trying to like, and it shouldn't be that way.

If you like hanging out on macrumors a lot you will start to see the screens downside. It is fine for games, but text on this site and many others are extremely small and fuzzy.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I hope you have a better experience than I did! I, like you, saw it in store and thought the screen was fine. COMPLETELY changed when I got home with it. After two days it went back to the store and I got an iPad 4. Only apple product I felt like I was trying to like, and it shouldn't be that way.

"If you like hanging out on macrumors a lot you will start to see the screens downside. "

Exactly, the only real way to notice the screen difference on the mini and 4 is by surfing Mac rumors all day because of the white background. And it really isn't the issue everyone is making it out to be. I'm absolutely loving the mini,you'll forget that it doesn't have retina after 1 hour of use..unless your one of the guys who has a specd out rmbp,64gb iPad 1,2,3,4 owner who buys every single apple product specd out like a sucker etc etc....to those in the market for a mini get one its hands down one of the nicest designed gadgets I've ever used,held

Last edited:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
If you like hanging out on macrumors a lot you will start to see the screens downside. It is fine for games, but text on this site and many others are extremely small and fuzzy.

I do hang out on macrumors a lot. I have been reading all the post on the mini. Even with my iPad 3 I would zoom into the text. So seeing as I will still do that with the mini I don't think I will see an issue. At best buy I went to cnn.com on both the mini and the 4 and didn't see much of a difference. Granted I could tell the 4 was retina but I wasn't disappointed using the mini at all.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
If you like hanging out on macrumors a lot you'll start to see the downside of everything.

+1

Here it's all doom and gloom and the sky is falling. Then you go out into the real world and see junky Android tablets and hefty plastic laptops and realise the grass isn't greener.

That said, I do think the iPad Mini screen is a little jarring if you're used to reading text on iPhone 4, iPad 3 and later models.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
+1

Here it's all doom and gloom and the sky is falling. Then you go out into the real world and see junky Android tablets and hefty plastic laptops and realise the grass isn't greener.

That said, I do think the iPad Mini screen is a little jarring if you're used to reading text on iPhone 4, iPad 3 and later models.

Jarring is a good way to put it. I loved the size and form factor, but the screen doesn't cut it.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
The screen is an issue for me - I still use and prefer my iPad 1. Because its screen is better? No - because its the same and already own it. Because the mini has a smaller screen - I need it to be extreme crisp. Which to my eyes it is not.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I love my mini, I watched the first half of the football today on it and my eyes didn't melt and I didn't have to lie down in a darkened room afterwards either.

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I had an iPad 2, and three and could not see any difference in the screen, its probably just me, but when I looked at the mini screen it looked like my old iPad 2 and just as good as the three I had I must be missing something. :eek:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

It is tricky comparing screens in-store. For example many people see little or no difference between iPad 2 and iPad with retina in-store, but take them both home it's like night and day. Sounds crazy until you see it.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
It is tricky comparing screens in-store. For example many people see little or no difference between iPad 2 and iPad with retina in-store, but take them both home it's like night and day. Sounds crazy until you see it.

That's all in your head dude iPad mini is king!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

You feel a little bit better now about your purchase? People have all sorts of coping mechanisms.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
You feel a little bit better now about your purchase? People have all sorts of coping mechanisms.

I never once regretted my purchase even without seeing the mini. I played with it for a good 15 minutes at best buy. Everything I did on the min was great looking and fast. I'm 29, 6'2, 250 lbs, have good eyes and big hands. I have no issue with the screen and love the size of the mini. People are just pissed because its ohhhh 163ppi. Guess what my new 55" 3D HD TV is 40.5 ppi (guess I need to complain to Panasonic about that). So I think the mini is one heck of a device!

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
When I got my iPad Mini, the screen initially looked fine to me. After using it intensively for a few hours, it's screen kept seeming noticeably worse to me. Then again I use all retina devices included a rMBP. What's strange to me, is it seemed like the iPad 2 panel (when I compared them) looked better overall than the Mini. I realize it has about 30ppi less. Just my opinion though, if the screen doesn't bother you then it's a great device.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

The Apple Store is set up with great lighting and you usually place it further in the store than at your home.

----------

I never once regretted my purchase even without seeing the mini. I played with it for a good 15 minutes at best buy. Everything I did on the min was great looking and fast. I'm 29, 6'2, 250 lbs, have good eyes and big hands. I have no issue with the screen and love the size of the mini. People are just pissed because its ohhhh 163ppi. Guess what my new 55" 3D HD TV is 40.5 ppi (guess I need to complain to Panasonic about that). So I think the mini is one heck of a device!

Distance.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I really wanted to like the mini but unfortunately after a mere minute of playing with it, I immediatelu set it down the moment I pulled up CNN in Safari. There was no way of reading the texts without zooming. That doesnt work dor me. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with retina but I like moding forward with my technology, not backwards. When it comes out with retina, Apple will have my money.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I really wanted to like the mini but unfortunately after a mere minute of playing with it, I immediatelu set it down the moment I pulled up CNN in Safari. There was no way of reading the texts without zooming. That doesnt work dor me. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with retina but I like moding forward with my technology, not backwards. When it comes out with retina, Apple will have my money.

See for me I always zoomed in on web pages on my iPad 3 so when I went to CNN.com on the mini I did the same thing. Everyone uses the devices differently.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Guess what my new 55" 3D HD TV is 40.5 ppi (guess I need to complain to Panasonic about that).

You won't need to complain unless you have the habit of watching your TV 6 inches away from your face. Pixel density is only important relative to viewing distance.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I had an iPad 2, and three and could not see any difference in the screen, its probably just me, but when I looked at the mini screen it looked like my old iPad 2 and just as good as the three I had I must be missing something. :eek:

Same here, coming from an iPad 2 I see no difference. The Mini's screen quality is not a issue for me. The Mini is the perfect size. Picked up the iPad 2 the other day and it felt like a huge brick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.