Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hi everyone. Just received my white iPhone 5 and noticed that it suffers from a light leak under the power button. I would have thought this problem was solved by now. Has any one else bought one recently and noticed this or am I just unlucky?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
To be honest, if thats your ONLY problem, I would keep it.

A minor light leak, although it may get annoying (I use cases, so it wouldnt bother me) is very small compared to some of the problems people are complaining about with their iPhone 5.

But if it really bothers you, get it replaced.

BTW, the light leak you are describing is fairly common. Not everyone has it, but many members are complaining about it.

It'sMyPrecious

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Between heaven and hell
Hi everyone. Just received my white iPhone 5 and noticed that it suffers from a light leak under the power button. I would have thought this problem was solved by now. Has any one else bought one recently and noticed this or am I just unlucky?

There's a tiny light leak under my power button too. But I only notice it if I shut myself in a pitch dark closet and turn my phone on to maximum brightness. The light leak doesn't bother me because it doesn't appear with regular usage (I usually turn it on 50% brightness, and I usually don't use it in a dark closet).

Is your light leak distracting and easily visible? If so, you could try getting it exchanged, I don't know if they will though.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Can you still see yours at 50% brightness? For some reason on my one its still noticeable even at 50%. In bright daylight it's definitely not noticeable but as soon as I enter a slightly dark room it becomes noticeable. What colour is your iPhone out of interest?

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Ok looks like I might have to make a trip to an apple store. This is my second iPhone. The first iPhone had a loose battery so I exchanged it for a brand new one with my network and even the first iPhone had a light leak. Can believe my second iPhone has it too. They won't take this one back though as they think this is "normal".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.