Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
^ Not underground at all, but I love Eastvillage Radio >>> Veronica Vasicka! {sigh}

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Pure Rock Fury. I bought Elephant Riders a while back and didn't think Clutch could ever top it. I gave this album a go after seeing so many recommend it and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's a completely different feel but equally brilliant.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
A live Bowie album. Yes I'm old.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352581902.806218.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352581902.806218.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 207

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I feel the same way. My suggestion to you is to start listening to alternative stations. They might not appeal to you at first because they play a lot of 80's, 90's, and early 00's aswell as pretty weird stuff that is slightly dated, but if they're going to play mainstream stuff, it's going to be the really decent/good stuff. Some might not be top billboard, but it's going to be the stuff people are raving about at the moment. I especially like the late evening shows on our local station where they play new tracks that you probably won't hear again, like ever, on the radio.

You have to get into it with an open mind, and focus on songs not for just the music, but the lyrical content too. Oh, and not be afraid to channel/station surf, you find really good stations that way. Music in general sounds so much more pleasant when its with its own genres, instead of mixed in with common pop.

Also check out what your favorite artists and bands are into. Pretty much how I find out about music primarily.

As for what I'm listening to... I saw Jake Bugg, Noel Gallagher, and Snow Patrol last night. Didn't care for Snow Patrol, loved Noel (huge Oasis fan), and have known about Jake Bugg for a little while. Really like this song from hearing it on the UK radio recently and have played it for the last few days, can't wait to get the album:

YouTube: video

Well I have some noughties, (00's) 90's. 80's is too far back but I do have songs in the 90's who were popular in the 80's (Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston for example).

Since you are a girl we should go out sometime;) Didn't think girls felt the way I felt. Since they are so into club beats these days...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Too bad current mainstream music sucks now (and I listen to a lot of genres). By mainstream music I mean Top 40-MTV weekly hits-iTunes top 100-mainstream and internet radio, etc.

I actually got into music and iPods because of mainstream music. I would always wonder what new artist would hit the waves and all that. Before I listened to music but never cared about owning mp3 players or having my own music collection. For several years I loved over 70% of mainstream hits. Ever since around 2008-2009 is when I started to hate mainstream. The reason I can't state a specific year is because some artists/band had album delays and whatnot.

Even now I occasionally see whats hot and the majority suck. I also hate most of the new artists that come out today when that was my #1 thing I looked forward to-adding to my collection with new talent.

Now before people say you got to look underground, they never say where. Not talking about Pandora either.

i'll throw some of my faces:

band of horses
the decemberists
the shins
of monsters and men
the avvett bros(sp?) lol.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I finally saw these guys the other night :D they supported Gojira both bands were amazing.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I am finally getting to see Gojira live in January. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

If Trepalium are supporting then you will be in for a treat ;), But I saw them earlier this year when they did a mini tour for there new album and they were intense but they just seem to get better each time I see them, and they didnt play A Sight To Behold or Ocean Planet :( the set list was amazing none the less.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
If Trepalium are supporting then you will be in for a treat ;), But I saw them earlier this year when they did a mini tour for there new album and they were intense but they just seem to get better each time I see them, and they didnt play A Sight To Behold or Ocean Planet :( the set list was amazing none the less.

Oh I hope they play Ocean Planet, one of my favorites.

I know they won't play this one, but man do I love this song!!!!
Gojira>>The Gift of Guilt

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Satie - Gymnopédies / Gnossiennes

I can't find it anymore, but there once was an amazing collage of René Claire's movie Entr'acte with Satie's (who also composed the original soundtrack) Gnossiennes on youtube. If I ever find it again, I'll post it, but fear it got deleted. It started with some sort of can-can / variéte dancers, if I remember correctly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Satie - Gymnopédies / Gnossiennes

I can't find it anymore, but there once was an amazing collage of René Claire's movie Entr'acte with Satie's (who also composed the original soundtrack) Gnossiennes on youtube. If I ever find it again, I'll post it, but fear it got deleted. It started with some sort of can-can / variéte dancers, if I remember correctly.

Ah, Satie - his Gymnopédies/Gnossiennes are exquisite - must have a listen later this evening.

I haven't seen that René Clair movie. However, over twenty years ago in Paris, I did have dinner with his widow and the widow of the actor Gérard Phillippe also attended. The host was the grandfather of the family I was staying with, a French cinema critic named Georges Charensol, who was a friend of René Clair's, and was also his biographer. (And, as I have since learned, M. Charensol was also one of the people who was involved in the setting up of the Cannes Film Festival).

On consideration, this post is probably more appropriate for the cinema/movie thread.......oh, well. Venerable French movies (and their stars and directors) can turn up anywhere.......as maybe, they have a timeless appeal.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ah, Satie - his Gymnopédies/Gnossiennes are exquisite - must have a listen later this evening.

I haven't seen that René Clair movie. However, over twenty years ago in Paris, I did have dinner with his widow and the widow of the actor Gérard Phillippe also attended. The host was the grandfather of the family I was staying with, a French cinema critic named Georges Charensol, who was a friend of René Clair's, and was also his biographer. (And, as I have since learned, M. Charensol was also one of the people who was involved in the setting up of the Cannes Film Festival).

On consideration, this post is probably more appropriate for the cinema/movie thread.......oh, well. Venerable French movies (and their stars and directors) can turn up anywhere.......as maybe, they have a timeless appeal.

Quite speechless. But wrong thread, I'll bother you in the more appropriate one....

But re Satie: which interpretation do you favor? I do adore Aldo Ciccolini's - in contrast to the awful Reinbert De Leeuws. :D
Since you're going to listen to it probably later, what do you think about Mouvements En Forme De Poire - Mvt. 3 / En plus? That's also one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.