Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
First time cover user on the iPad. I got the Smart Cover for the mini and idk it feels a bit uncomfortable. But it's pretty popular so maybe I'm using it wrong ? I don't know. Do you like yours ?

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
It's pretty crappy. It doesn't attach to the back when you use the device, so it's always sliding and flapping around. This is ridiculous for something so extremely expensive.

As a stand it has a tendency to fall over and having the inside of the cover out and exposed to everything that might be on the desk means stuff gets on the screen, or worse ends up scratching it.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
It's pretty crappy. It doesn't attach to the back when you use the device, so it's always sliding and flapping around. This is ridiculous for something so extremely expensive.

This is one of the main issues I'm having. I'm considering returning it. Mmmm. Only looks good when closed. That's all.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Fold it in half when you first open it, then flip the double-thick remaining half to the back. Much easier to hold without the flapping around.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Fold it in half when you first open it, then flip the double-thick remaining half to the back. Much easier to hold without the flapping around.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 155

RickD1225

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
I use a 3M self stick magnetic strip under my back cover to hold it in place when open. Put it on the far left edge on the back.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
It has three segments, you can't fold it in half.

Here's what happens if you try to hold it:

Jp4E5.jpg

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
First time cover user on the iPad. I got the Smart Cover for the mini and idk it feels a bit uncomfortable. But it's pretty popular so maybe I'm using it wrong ? I don't know. Do you like yours ?

I like it, but I always take it off when using the iPad. I hate the way it feels when using the iPad and the Smart Cover is on the back.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
With the big iPad I would roll it up as a triangle and then wrap my hand on that like a handle to hold it and it was very comfortable. But with the mini then it's missing a segment so in "triangle mode" it's not very stable. I can't hold it the same way nor does it stand as sturdy, so IMO it sucks for the price (but I'm still keeping it.)

BTW. I never take the cover off because then ill lose it.

daleksec

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
My mini also doubles as my alarm clock. Very disappointed with the sturdiness of the smart cover in this regard. So much so that i'm returning mine tomorrow.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hate it. Returned it. Disappointing gap against the screen. Apple knows about the issue and says "working on it"

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
So far it's ok. Like everyone is saying: it has issues like the little gap between the cover and screen. However, for my purposes I think it will work out.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
It's fine for me. Helps me hold the iPad easier. I like how it doesn't collect dust like the cover for the original iPad. I do wish there were more artistic designs for it. The colors are boring.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is how I fold the Smart Cover for my big iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I do like my smart cover. I preferred the way I could fold it in half on the larger model but, on the mini, it seems to stick to the back fine.

My only issue is the color choices. I wish they had made a black one and made some leather options. The dark gray on black is okay but would have liked a black cover.

Patiently waiting for some third party smart covers to come out. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.