Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I had the original iPad (first gen).
It was great.... until iOS upgrades. Then, like most, it became slow as molasses and crashed often. Prob due to the paltry RAM.

So I love the iPad mini form factor, and quite honestly, it seemed to be almost as fast as the iPad 4 for surfing, iPhoto, pictures.

BUT- is the iPad mini future proof? I'm not looking for 5 years. But will the chip and RAM (basically what is in the iPad 2) be supported in one or two years, OR is iOS 7 or 8 destined to make this thing a (very very light) paperweight?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
iOS7 should be ok; as only one generation later. But iOS8 in 2014 I would not bet money on current iPad Mini. That's for the the next iteration of HW

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
iOS7 should be ok; as only one generation later. But iOS8 in 2014 I would not bet money on current iPad Mini. That's for the the next iteration of HW

I am even wondering about iOS 7. The iPad mini is the same processor and RAM as the iPad 2- (released in Feb 2011- almost 2 years old now). iPad 2 came out with iOS 4.3.

If the iPad 2 is almost 2 years old, and started with iOS 4.3-- do we really think iPad 2 would support iOS 7, which is prob 3.5 years after it came out?
And since iPad mini = iPad 2, then the iPad mini shelf life may be even less than the iPad 2.

Or am I overthinking this?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I am even wondering about iOS 7. The iPad mini is the same processor and RAM as the iPad 2- (released in Feb 2011- almost 2 years old now). iPad 2 came out with iOS 4.3.

If the iPad 2 is almost 2 years old, and started with iOS 4.3-- do we really think iPad 2 would support iOS 7, which is prob 3.5 years after it came out?
And since iPad mini = iPad 2, then the iPad mini shelf life may be even less than the iPad 2.

I share your concerns though.

I don't remember where but I think Apple committed to support the next major iOS version on iDevices. Mini comes with 6.0x that would mean 7.x will be fine. Not all features maybe.

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I had the original iPad (first gen).
It was great.... until iOS upgrades. Then, like most, it became slow as molasses and crashed often. Prob due to the paltry RAM.

So I love the iPad mini form factor, and quite honestly, it seemed to be almost as fast as the iPad 4 for surfing, iPhoto, pictures.

BUT- is the iPad mini future proof? I'm not looking for 5 years. But will the chip and RAM (basically what is in the iPad 2) be supported in one or two years, OR is iOS 7 or 8 destined to make this thing a (very very light) paperweight?

I hope not...but the mini is my first iPad as i was waiting for something smaller this whole time. Having said that, I do expect at least 2 years or more years use from it. I love the size of the mini but it is amazing how having it makes me realize how little I really used my main computer. I now plan on getting the 5 next year regardless what else comes out since I now know how much use it will get and can see a separation of what I would want on a large device versus the Mini.

I have a friend who wants to burn his iPad 1st gen even after buying a Microsoft Surface...he says it is that bad now. His reason for switching from Apple is that he doesn't feel like he should be forced to upgrade. I usually feel that if I get 2 years out of anything electronic then it Is a treat for me to upgrade.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Apple uses the standard A5 processor more than any other chip in their current iOS product line - iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th Gen), iPad 2, and iPad Mini. That should tell you something.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Interesting article about iOS upgrade life. Mostly about the 3GS, but the iPad is mentioned. According to the article "iOS devices have gotten two major new updates after their release version. ", which as the article points out is far better than any other mobile OS. One interesting take on the article (my take anyway) is that to a certain degree iOS revisions are not designed for the latest iDevice but towards the largest user base at the time.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
This is a big concern for me too. That is why I have been extremely reluctant to buy the Mini and haven't yet. 2 yr old hardware...with a brand new product premium.

My last iPhone was a 3G, ditched it in 2009 as I moved to an area not covered by ATT so went with local prepaid provider and haven't looked back. Then used my 3G as an iPod Touch. I still have it and can tell you shortly after 2009 the 3G went worthless after app updates, and especially after iOS 4 came out. Not to mention all the great new features I could not have on the old hardware. Now I can't even use it anymore, it literally is a paper weight. :p

I'm afraid the same fate will be had of this Mini when iOS 7 comes out, because then they'll have the Mini 2 with better hardware. You got to consider app updates too, not just iOS ones.

This is why I hate Apple. They generate sales by force upgrades.

Has me ever closer to getting a Nexus 7, which is a dang good tablet on JellyBean. Yes I said it :eek: Now all the Apple fanboys can scream in horror and bash me as someone said something non-Apple just might be better than an Apple product. And used the "N" word!!! :eek:

If the current Mini had latest hardware I'd buy it in a heart beat.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

I think so. Using that logic, iPhone 4S also will not get iOS 7 but that's extremely unlikely to be true.

Then you should also hate Google after they ditched the Nexus One which is stuck in Gingerbread. On the other hand iPhone 3GS, which is older than Nexus One, got the iOS 6 update. Before someone says something about how 3GS didn't get Siri, etc, let's remember updating to iOS 6 makes sure 3GS gets the latest apps that use iOS 6 APIs, which is the main benefit of the updates.

It would've been nice but at the same time it'd have worse battery life and probably thicker and heavier while costing more as well. Apple had to pick a poison and they chose to keep the svelte form factor and the long battery life over the nice display and specs.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Yes, yes we do. Why? Because it shares the same A5 SoC as the iPhone 4S which is currently the middle phone in Apple's product line. Next year, if the pattern holds (and I see no reason for it not to) the iPhone 4 goes away and the 4S drops down to the 'free' slot at which point it has another year left to it at minimum. Apple will have to support it in the latest OS therefore the iPad 2 (which, again, is still on sale now) and the iPad Mini will be fine as well. You may not get all the features of the OS but the basics will be fine.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Yes, yes we do. Why? Because it shares the same A5 SoC as the iPhone 4S which is currently the middle phone in Apple's product line. Next year, if the pattern holds (and I see no reason for it not to) the iPhone 4 goes away and the 4S drops down to the 'free' slot at which point it has another year left to it at minimum. Apple will have to support it in the latest OS therefore the iPad 2 (which, again, is still on sale now) and the iPad Mini will be fine as well. You may not get all the features of the OS but the basics will be fine.

So isn't that a pretty limited shelf life for an iDevice? To not support all the features of the next iOS less than 12 months after the device is released (assuming iOS 7 is out before next November).

OR is it possible the A5 SoC is already beyond the needs of iPad without retina displays, and there is really nothing one would need to do with an iPad/iPad mini that would need a more powerful chip?

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I think personally we're good till iOS 9. The iPad 2 can run iOS 6 no problem, and it was introduced with iOS 4. Plus iPad mini has enough processing power to run Siri. I think there's enough power to keep us going for awhile.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
So isn't that a pretty limited shelf life for an iDevice? To not support all the features of the next iOS less than 12 months after the device is released (assuming iOS 7 is out before next November).

OR is it possible the A5 SoC is already beyond the needs of iPad without retina displays, and there is really nothing one would need to do with an iPad/iPad mini that would need a more powerful chip?

Uh, you'd consider two to three years of OS updates a short shelf-life?

Sorry but I've NEVER bought the argument that once an iOS update features something that isn't available to all devices that device is obsolete / unsupported. Providing the device a) still works at an acceptable performance level and b) supports the SDK features (or at least those that relate to the hardware in the device) of a new iOS release then that's fine. New features are simply a bonus.

What I'm saying here is that iOS updates that meet those requirements for the iPad Mini are almost certain to be available for iOS7 and only slightly less likely for iOS8. In terms of performance the iPad Mini is on par with the iPad 3rd generation and, while it has less RAM, it's also not having to drive a Retina screen. Honestly, I think if you buy a mini now you're likely to be fairly well catered for until 2014 at the earliest and even then it'll still work fine once updates do stop. Will future generations make the current one feel slow? Yeah, probably, but that's going to happen no matter what you buy. So long as the performance now is acceptable to you I'd expect that to remain the case for a long time to come.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Has me ever closer to getting a Nexus 7, which is a dang good tablet on JellyBean. Yes I said it :eek: Now all the Apple fanboys can scream in horror and bash me as someone said something non-Apple just might be better than an Apple product. And used the "N" word!!! :eek:

My galaxy tab came with Froyo. Was stuck with sucky froyo.

Heard gingerbread was available for it, but somehow I couldn't get it.

It was outdated the day I got it.

I think it came out about the iPad 1 did in 2010. iPad 1 got multiple OS updates. Galaxy tab got like zero OS updates.

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I think personally we're good till iOS 9. The iPad 2 can run iOS 6 no problem, and it was introduced with iOS 4. Plus iPad mini has enough processing power to run Siri. I think there's enough power to keep us going for awhile.
The 2 and mini have the same processor. I expect that they'll run limited features of iOS7, and not support iOS 8 at all.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
people sure feel really entitled.

I'd hate for new features to be delayed on my iPad Mini 3 on iOS 8 with its brand new hardware updates, just because you insist your aging iPad Mini keep on getting the same brand new features 2+ years down the line.

your iPad Mini (1st gen) will not cease to become any less awesome than it is today just because the next two are released. it may seem less so in comparison, but that's all in your head.

alternatively: sell the damn thing and keep getting the latest and greatest. no you were not just ripped off. I actually applaud Apple for maintaining the same pricing structure yearly. accept that you'll hit a $100 loss. and in fact, don't think of it as a loss, but rather a rental: $100/12mon = $8/mon, or $16/mon if they update in 6 month.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I see the Mini getting iOS 8 with no problems. Remember apple typically supports items for two year which fits in the mold. Almost a repeat of the 3gs in how the phone was supported for a long time frame. Another thing that people somehow forget its thanks to the non retina resolution less power is needed.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My predictions:
iPad mini
iOS 7
iOS 8 (reduced feature set)
iOS 9 no support

iPad 2
iOS 7 (reduced feature set)
iOS 8 no support

iPad 3rd gen
iOS 7
iOS 9 no support

iPad 4th gen
iOS 7
iOS 9 (further reduced feature set)
iOS 10 no support

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
My predictions:
iPad mini
iOS 7
iOS 9 no support

iPad 2
iOS 7 (reduced feature set)
iOS 8 no support

iPad 3rd gen
iOS 7
iOS 9 no support

iPad 4th gen
iOS 7
iOS 9 (further reduced feature set)
iOS 10 no support

1) Why would iPad 2 have reduced features in iOS 7 but iPad mini doesn't? They are the same chips/RAM. Thus, I feel iPad Mini will also have reduced features in the next iOS.

2) While it is true that if the iPad mini is good today, it stays as good 2 years from now. EXCEPT- most have seen that the speed/snappiness of their iOS device plummet everytime a new iOS comes out. So my iPad 1 for instance feels "less" than it did on day 1 as it is now running an iOS that, while compatible and supported, is too bloated for the iPad.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
1) Why would iPad 2 have reduced features in iOS 7 but iPad mini doesn't? They are the same chips/RAM. Thus, I feel iPad Mini will also have reduced features in the next iOS..
Why did the 4th gen iPod touch get iOS 6 when the iPad 1 literally has the exact same internals and didn't? Oh yeah, because Apple doesn't give a **** about their consumers. Of course they want us to upgrade to a new iPad, which I did to a Nexus 7, and thus they artificially limit support for older stuff. Apple will certainly do the same again, though with the mini, it will be obsolete in an even shorter time frame. The 4S, iPhone 5,iPad 3 and iPad 4 all have 1GB of ram, in contrast to the minis 512MB, which is where you all will see problems soon. Apple will not make an OS for you guys and your lower RAM and I'd bet iOS 7 will be it for the mini.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
people sure feel really entitled.

I'd hate for new features to be delayed on my iPad Mini 3 on iOS 8 with its brand new hardware updates, just because you insist your aging iPad Mini keep on getting the same brand new features 2+ years down the line.

Agreed. Apple's already got a newer greater version either on the drawing board or in the Asian sweatshops when the Mini was released.

your iPad Mini (1st gen) will not cease to become any less awesome than it is today just because the next two are released. it may seem less so in comparison, but that's all in your head.

So, you're typing this on a G3 iBook?

alternatively: sell the damn thing and keep getting the latest and greatest. no you were not just ripped off. I actually applaud Apple for maintaining the same pricing structure yearly. accept that you'll hit a $100 loss. and in fact, don't think of it as a loss, but rather a rental: $100/12mon = $8/mon, or $16/mon if they update in 6 month.

Premium price for two generations old tech? 512 mb of ram? And I doubt it will only be a $100 loss, unless they bought the base wifi model and found an unsophisticated buyer on CL who didn't know about Apple Refurbed Store. Or, I'd gladly sell you my 64 gb AT&T LTE 3rd gen for $730.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.