Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I'm thinking of purchasing my first Apple TV within the next couple of month (Dec-Feb). Does anyone know if an updated model is supposed to be available?

Apple TV's are not listed in the buyers guide, so I don't know if it follows the 1 year update, or as to which month either.

Thanks.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Reading the AppleTv's release cycle "tea leaves" is pretty much a fools game. In general it pretty much does not have a release cycle. Waiting in case a new one comes out is pretty much a complete guess.

If one of the existing models works for what you want, might as well just get it imo.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I believe it's doubtful they will upgrade soon. The TV3 has an A5 chip and is 1080P. I can't see why they would need to change that, and I can't see what extra functionality they would gain by doing it.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
What can they gain by adding an A6 chip or A6X

Maybe a smoother/faster UI ?
I don't find the current ATV to be slow

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I believe it's doubtful they will upgrade soon. The TV3 has an A5 chip and is 1080P. I can't see why they would need to change that, and I can't see what extra functionality they would gain by doing it.

The only upgrade I could see would be more storage space for apps and maybe a A6 along with it for games I guess. But even that isn't that likely.

Ic3y

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
Would like to see a TV tuner added and optional iCloud DVR recording service.

Would be a nice competitor to the new Boxee TV.

BTW, why haven't they added a Pandora app after all these years ? Seems like a no brainer.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I don't see them doing any upgrades for a while, there isn't anything gain right now. If they do add an app store then more space for apps and more CPU/GPU power for games would be useful but first they have to do an app store which I'm not convinced they are doing anytime soon as they have enough software that needs fixing as is.

Would like to see a TV tuner added and optional iCloud DVR recording service.

Would be a nice competitor to the new Boxee TV.

BTW, why haven't they added a Pandora app after all these years ? Seems like a no brainer.

I don't see a tuner being added. If Apple does get a deal done with the cable companies to get a set-top box I think it will be a separate device than what we have now with the current Apple TV or it's successor continuing on. The Apple TV as we know won't get a tuner, they want you to buy the media from iTunes. I just don't see them doing a Microsoft like media center and cable card without being directly in cahoots with the cable companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.