Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I don't know how people can look at TN displays. I bought 2012 i7/8/256 MBA and exchanged it to rMBP 15" with additional cost from my hand, but the differences are huge. You get twice for not that much more money, so except for weak people that can't handle 1.5 more lbs a day while "traveling", I can't find any good reason to go with MBA these days.

Eventually it's only $370 difference in pricing (if you get the i7/8/256GB MBA), but with rMBP you get:
1. Retina display
2. Quad-core processor
3. 15"
4. Better speakers
5. More ports

Cons:
Weight, which is not noticeable as a student that puts his computer in his backpack with 1000+ pages books.
If you are in the $1000 range area, so yes, MBA is probably the way to go - but everybody else, really can't see a reason.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I saw the 15 inch rMBP the other day, I have to say I wasn't impressed. The screen is marginally better but not night and day like comparing and iPad 2 and 3. I have no regrets about buying my MBA and an external monitor. Much more flexible in my opinion.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I saw the 15 inch rMBP the other day, I have to say I wasn't impressed. The screen is marginally better but not night and day like comparing and iPad 2 and 3. I have no regrets about buying my MBA and an external monitor. Much more flexible in my opinion.
Whatever I couldn't live with in my MBA is the viewing angles. TN panels are just pure junk and Apple should have offered IPS panels this year, those that they put in cMBP.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Whatever I couldn't live with in my MBA is the viewing angles. TN panels are just pure junk and Apple should have offered IPS panels this year, those that they put in cMBP.

Do you regularly sit off to the side of your laptop? Most people sit in front of the screen where the viewing angle isn't a problem. But you carry on if you're feeling like you need to justify your choice of hardware.

Whatever.

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
I had a MBA 13" before getting the rMBP 15".
I was wondering how much better the rMBP screen could.
I thought the MBA screen is fine and looks good to me.
Also, I have already seen the rMBP in store, and it didn't wow me.

Then as I set up the rMBP, I put it side by side with the MBA.
The difference is really noticable.
The rMBP screen is much more beautiful and sharper.

Last edited:

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Do you regularly sit off to the side of your laptop? Most people sit in front of the screen where the viewing angle isn't a problem. But you carry on if you're feeling like you need to justify your choice of hardware.

Whatever.
Yes, I sometimes put my laptop on the table and I sit much below the table and need to adjust it all the time. In addition, while I'm in bed and the laptop is on my knees, you need to adjust the display all the time and the colors are changing contently by the angle.

So this is more than just the screen by your list? I'm guessing the question is for those who bought anything before a rMBP or any Mac with a screen or is it just between a rMBP & MBA.
My comment is only for those people who bought the MBA this year in the similar price range of the rMBP (and also the cMBP, but there is a different story). The display plays a major role in choosing between the two, but let's not forget the difference in specs; by all the benchmakrs real world or not, the 15" rMBP is 50% faster than MBA (or 13" rMBP). So you get 50% more power for $370 and get an awesome display, isn't that enough for someone to make a smart decision?

I had a MBA 13" before getting the rMBP 15".
I was wondering how much better the rMBP screen could.
I thought the MBA screen is fine and looks good to me.
Also, I have already seen the rMBP in store, and it didn't wow me.

Then as I set up the rMBP, I put it side by side with the MBA.
The difference is really noticable.
The rMBP screen is much more beautiful and sharper.

People think that whatever they see in the store for 5 min is what it's all about. You need to have rMBP for at least 24 hours to make a decision, but let's see somebody who had rMBP for 24 hours and went back to his or her MBA clamming that there is not much of a difference.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012

This guy:
Sideways-Mac-Russian-Musician.jpg

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
My comment is only for those people who bought the MBA this year in the similar price range of the rMBP (and also the cMBP, but there is a different story). The display plays a major role in choosing between the two, but let's not forget the difference in specs; by all the benchmakrs real world or not, the 15" rMBP is 50% faster than MBA (or 13" rMBP). So you get 50% more power for $370 and get an awesome display, isn't that enough for someone to make a smart decision?

I bought the right laptop for my usage pattern. For me portability was higher up on my list of wants than a retina screen. I don't need the extra power that the MBP has, so how precisely would spending an extra $370 be a smart decision?

Stop measuring everyone else's needs by your own, it's making you look narrow minded.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I bought the right laptop for my usage pattern. For me portability was higher up on my list of wants than a retina screen. I don't need the extra power that the MBP has, so how precisely would spending an extra $370 be a smart decision?

Stop measuring everyone else's needs by your own, it's making you look narrow minded.
how 1.5 more pounds can be higher than Retina IPS display? It sounds nonsense to me. There is absolutely no difference between a 2.96lbs laptop and 4.4lbs laptop if you carry it in a backpack or any other computer bag.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
how 1.5 more pounds can be higher than Retina IPS display? It sounds nonsense to me. There is absolutely no difference between a 2.96lbs laptop and 4.4lbs laptop if you carry it in a backpack or any other computer bag.

If you can't see that an 11 inch Air is more portable than a 15 inch, heavier computer there's really not much else I can say.

Not all of us are students wanting to carry around a backpack either.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
If you can't see that an 11 inch Air is more portable than a 15 inch, heavier computer there's really not much else I can say.

Not all of us are students wanting to carry around a backpack either.
So you carry your laptop in your hands all day? I think an iPad would serve this purpose better than 11 or 13" laptops.

I think this is what is called a "first world problem".

lol And great entertainment.
So by your theory we need to compare on MacRumors who doesn't have AIDS?

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
"Hi, I'm OP. I refuse to acknowledge other peoples needs or wants and assume everyone is like me, and those who aren't are just wrong."

The price difference in an i7/8g/256g Air and base rMBP with same ram/storage is about $500. For many people $500 is a lot of money(where are you getting 370 from?), a 15in laptop is harder to use on your lap in cramped areas.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 9.52.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 9.52.07 PM.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 89

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
"Hi, I'm OP. I refuse to acknowledge other peoples needs or wants and assume everyone is like me, and those who aren't are just wrong."

The price difference in an i7/8g/256g Air and base rMBP with same ram/storage is about $500. For many people $500 is a lot of money(where are you getting 370 from?), a 15in laptop is harder to use on your lap in cramped areas.
I don't refuse to acknowledge for anything, but 1.5 pounds more or less is nothing noticeable, in MY OPINION (better now?).
I had both machines for several months, and if you would have them too, you would realize whatever I'm saying right now. This post is for future buyers, just buy both and walk with them for 13 days and return whatever you don't like (if you can't make a decision and you have the money).
The price difference of $370 is with educational discount that everybody can get, even if you are 70 years old with no connections to education whatsoever.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
It suits my needs. If it doesn't suit yours, don't rant and stay with the Retina.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
It suits my needs. If it doesn't suit yours, don't rant and stay with the Retina.

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who went from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

Last edited:

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who wen from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

I generally avoid such kiddish threads,but just to put it in your head your way-How do you LIVE with such a HEAVY laptop-yes it is HEAVY :eek:,as you feel that the display on the Air is absolutely trash and impossible to live with,in MY VIEW the weight of the rMBP is like a truck,I guess this will explain it,that different people have different views !!

PS-I Love the rMBP as much as I love my Air,just to put it in the OPs head I said it's a truck to me :D

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
That's fine, but most of you haven't have both on hand, you just saw it in store for 5 minutes. I want to hear the same thing from people who wen from Retina display MacBooks to MBAs, I think there are handful of them if any.

Most of us probably DON'T need to have both on hand. We look at the specs online, and that already decides halfway what would work best. Then we go to the stores that have the machines on display and physically fiddle with the goods. Then we make our purchase, and for the most part, we're happy.

What's your beef against the TN display anyway? For the most part, it just works. I don't have beef when I look at my iMac, and then go to my Air.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Love the light weight and size of the Air when I travel, like on an airplane tray table.

Love the rMBP at work and out in the field for the display.

The Air feels like a clipboard, the rMBP like a chuck of plywood.

Would really like an Air with a retina display.

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
I have MBA 13", rMBP 13", and rMBP 15".

The MBA is much more portable. Yeah the screen is not as good, but I still can live with it, especially during traveling.
You might think that 1.5 pounds is not much, but for me, like many other people, that's a bit much considering you also add up other things in your bag.

Oh TN panel is actually quite good. I used to have Sony Vaio Z (1080p in 13.1inch screen) that have much higher color gamut than rMBP. And due to worse viewing angle, I don't have to worry as much when I am on the plane.

Lucianrider

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
St. Lucia, West Indies
The Thread Starter is a pompous a$$!
I just purchased the base model 13" MBA and compared to my 2008 Macbook unibody the display is incredible.
I also spent a bit of time playing with the rMBP and yes it is nice but for my needs there is no way I could justify the extra money.

I also have a 21.5" fully loaded BTO 2011 iMac which is my main machine, the laptops only have to run Office and a browser and thats perfect for me.

So get off you high horse and just enjoy your rMBP; the rest of us will enjoy the Air for what it is: an amazing lightweight, beautifully made laptop that is perfect for the other 75% of laptop users...

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020

If this was clear to start with (maybe edit your post/title or actually compose it properly to begin with) I wouldn't have wasted my time to engage in a mutual exchange of justifications listed on your part. Although you never mentioned why you chose the MBA in the first place but I'll save you the reply as the comment from me is purely rhetorical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.