Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I highly suggest we update the tapatalk plugin, because it supports push notifications! :):):)

Tapatalk'.png

(Don't judge...)

Push should work now in Tapatalk.

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Seems the code behind a post is showing up on the left column of Tapatalk now. See attachment where you can see the code for quotes.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1352605739.028418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1352605739.028418.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 88

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I got this reply as a push notification :)

Is there a setting that I'm not finding? I haven't received any notifications at all yet. I was quoted once overnight and received my usual daily thread subscription emails. But nothing from Tapatalk.

----------

That's not limited to Macrumors, nor is it consistent. Sometimes it displays, sometimes it is just the raw post.

Okay thanks. I hadn't noticed it before.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Push should work now in Tapatalk.

arn

Cool, thanks! Can you or someone else elaborate a bit on how it's set up to work? Or are there settings in Tapatalk that I'm not seeing? For example, will I get a push notification if someone replies to a thread that I'm subscribed to or only to a thread that I created or, ideally for me, just when they quote me? Just curious to know more (I'll do some further digging on my own as well).

So is it safe to assume the MR app is finished for the forseeable future and we should invest in the Tapatalk app?

I hope this isn't the case as I've been quietly looking forward to an MR app.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Tapatalk sends push notifications for whenever you would get an instant email notification. And on vB4 it appears to be also sending quote notifications via push.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Okay, so I installed Tapatalk on my iPhone and got a push notification for a subscribed thread (instant notification). However Tapatalk HD for the iPad isn't getting them.

When I installed the regular app for iPhone it asked if I wanted push notifications and I said yes. I deleted Tapatalk HD from the iPad and then reinstalled it but it didn't ask for push notifications.

I checked settings and notifications on the iPad and there isn't anything for Tapatalk HD. The iPhone version has Tapatalk in the notifications area of preferences.

On a side note, it's weird that the free iPhone version has themes available, but the paid iPad version doesn't.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Tapatalk sends push notifications for whenever you would get an instant email notification. And on vB4 it appears to be also sending quote notifications via push.

Okay, thanks. So in order to receive push notifications, I have to also enable email notifications? It sounds like that's what you're saying but I just want to be sure. If that's the case, and I don't blame anyone here, that's sort of counter-productive since the biggest "pro" with push for me is how they've cut down on the number of emails I receive.

A new suggestion (and maybe a fit for a new thread) would be to develop a system for instant email notification for when you're quoted (i.e. quote notifications that we already get trigger email notifications), in addition to the current email options. Then I, for example, could just set up a rule in my email program to ignore the actual emails and ultimately just get the push notifications.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I don't have email notifications on, just reinstalled the app and received a notification you posted.
3ajytazu.jpg

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It was blurry because I uploaded the small version via tapatalk :eek:

I have now turned notifications off, my phone hasn't stopped vibrating!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I keep getting prompts to install this on my Ipad when I'm on MR....I've left it alone, as I'm happy with Safari on the IP4. I might put it on my phone though...Just to see what's what. I have an upcoming hospital visit so it might prove useful there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.