Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Is this like something LG doesn't test for or something?

Edit: Pic for the skeptical.

Last edited:
S

syd430

How do you know you have an LG panel?

AFIK it was never determined that they are the exclusive provider for these 4th gen panels

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Explain why all the ghost images of the icons are lined up next to the bezel. Too much time on your hands?

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Its impossible to have IR on an LCD screen only plasmas or old CRTs can have IR.

Go on over to the huge Retina MacBook Pro image retention thread on the apple discussion board and tell them that. In this case image retention is not the same thing as burn in. It's a temporary ghosting that appears to happen on a lot of LG screens on the rMBP.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Nice try! Can clearly see a double reflection of where your body position shifted slightly between two photos. This hacky photoshop can even be accomplished on the iPad.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I've now had two ipad 2's with this issue. I have decided to live with it now since I don't have light bleed anymore.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Wow you people just assume that because something is wrong with a. apple product that it has to be fake. I have had this issue with the iPad 3 and my last 4s. Not to mention it has been an issue with the MacBook Pro retina line.

To the original poster, if you download a retention removal app and leave it on overnight it will remove the ghosting. That's was my solution, however I don't know how permanent of a fix it is.

My case was close enough to the iPhone 5 release that I never ran back into the issue before getting the new phone.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Wow you people just assume that because something is wrong with a. apple product that it has to be fake. I have had this issue with the iPad 3 and my last 4s. Not to mention it has been an issue with the MacBook Pro retina line.

It's difficult to believe because it's an LCD screen.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
It's difficult to believe because it's an LCD screen.

The fact that you don't think it could happen on an LCD screen means that most people don't experience IR when using LCD panels.

However, an alarming number of Retina Macbook Pro users (some who have replaced their screens 13+ times) see this phenomenon with the LG panel. Yours truly replaced the panel 7 times for IR before I got a Samsung panel which does not exhibit this issue.

Here's the 5500+ reply Apple Discussion forums thread on the issue. That thread has gotten so many views now, it appears the thread view counter has rolled over, lol.

I vow to never ever buy a product with an LCD made by LG ever again.

Booloo

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I would just recommend keeping the brightness below 50% for the first 100 hours or so. IR is more sensitive during the panel's break-in period. Never saw this on an iPad, but I definitely don't doubt the OP.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
It happens on LCDs (not on all but some panels). If you think it doesn't, you're wrong. That's a fact.

Last edited:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
The fact that you don't think it could happen on an LCD screen means that most people don't experience IR when using LCD panels.

However, an alarming number of Retina Macbook Pro users (some who have replaced their screens 13+ times) see this phenomenon with the LG panel. Yours truly replaced the panel 7 times for IR before I got a Samsung panel which does not exhibit this issue.

Here's the 5500+ reply Apple Discussion forums thread on the issue. That thread has gotten so many views now, it appears the thread view counter has rolled over, lol.

I vow to never ever buy a product with an LCD made by LG ever again.

Anyone who has replaced this iPad 13 times deserves to see this phenomenon for the rest of their life. Why start threads like this? Have nothing to do, try dating. :p

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I would just recommend keeping the brightness below 50% for the first 100 hours or so. IR is more sensitive during the panel's break-in period. Never saw this on an iPad, but I definitely don't doubt the OP.

This is what I did on my Panny plasma. ...:). I have a feeling the OP set his ipad at 100 brightness and also had his screen set to never to turn off. LG = IR

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
That is terrible. I'd take that crap back.

I can't believe Apple uses LG as a supplier of displays, what a joke. LG isn't exactly top notch in the quality department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.