Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I never complained about the change from. 30 pin to lightning, but now I say it was a super idea.

So much better than a micro or mini USB. in the dark, having a reversible and simple connector is excellent!!!

It's solid metal parts; so much better than thin USB.

The new earphones: feel good! Can wear them all day!

I didn't like the move of the ear jack; but I was wrong. It's working out okay too.

But really the lightning is the best!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I love the new EarPods. I have some Monster Turbines which are far better.. but one of my ear canals is smaller than the other so I can never seal my left one. I feel like the EarPods are a nice compromise :) Also, the jack on the bottom makes way more sense when you put it in your pocket or hold it up to use it! :D Cable can't hang in front of your screen > :D

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I love the headphones. The overall clarity of the sound is amazing; and that bass thumping = win. It's as good (if not better) as those high quality, 70+ dollar (in-ear) headphones that Sony and Dre sells. :apple:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Agreed on all counts. While I understand there will be some growing pains with the change in connectors, I always thought it was pretty stupid that it wasn't reversible.

The Earpods are surprisingly good as well. I'm very, very picky about acoustics and usually hate earbuds. These sound about as good as you can expect an earbud to sound. Products like Beats will deliver more bass, but lack the high end response and clarity these deliver. A touch more low end would be nice, but I wouldn't give up the clarity to get it.

The headphone jack on the bottom is really of no functional consequence, but is more aesthetically pleasing. The view of your device (particularly if mounted somewhere) is unobstructed.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I never complained about the change from. 30 pin to lightning, but now I say it was a super idea.

So much better than a micro or mini USB. in the dark, having a reversible and simple connector is excellent!!!

It's solid metal parts; so much better than thin USB.

The new earphones: feel good! Can wear them all day!

I didn't like the move of the ear jack; but I was wrong. It's working out okay too.

But really the lightning is the best!

They should have made both ends lightning connects so I don't accidentally try and plug the USB end into my iPhone in the dark:eek:

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I love the lightning connector, it just feels nice and high quality.

At first I thought I wouldn't like the headphone jack being on the bottom but it's SO much better that way. When I'm playing music in the car, it's easier to handle and same for when I'm using headphones.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Love the lightning connector and, as we now see with the iP5 and iPod touch, it was an absolute necessity considering the thinness of those devices

Definitely love the solid feel of the connection and no wrong way to insert! I read somewhere that it is also waterproof...

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Fandroids criticize the "proprietary" lightning port when they should be taking notes. Micro USB sucks. I had Blackberry and a Mophie juice pack rendered unusable by the micro USB port. Though I eventually fixed the Blackberry, the Mophie was totally bricked. The lightning ports on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini have a feeling of quality and sturdiness that micro USB lacks.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Agree. Apple's forte is to take something and make it better.

The EU should take notes instead of forcing the micro USB.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Lightning adapter is definitely nice. Headphone jack on the bottom is fine, but it is very annoying in my car. I have this wonderful tray to place my phone with the AUX cable sticking out, but now my phone has to be upside-down :(. It is very nice in the pocket though...

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Lightning adapter is definitely nice. Headphone jack on the bottom is fine, but it is very annoying in my car. I have this wonderful tray to place my phone with the AUX cable sticking out, but now my phone has to be upside-down :(. It is very nice in the pocket though...

That's funny. My phone has to sit upside down in my car tray with the jack at the top. I love the bottom jack.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I love the headphones. The overall clarity of the sound is amazing; and that bass thumping = win. It's as good (if not better) as those high quality, 70+ dollar (in-ear) headphones that Sony and Dre sells. :apple:

"bass thumping" - you're kidding right? You need to listen to some real earbuds. Overall I like the new shape but my biggest problem is that the sound leaks - people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation. Also, white earbuds are sooo not cool anymore. I'm going to order a pair of Shure headphones with remote soon.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
"bass thumping" - you're kidding right? You need to listen to some real earbuds. Overall I like the new shape but my biggest problem is that the sound leaks - people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation. Also, white earbuds are sooo not cool anymore. I'm going to order a pair of Shure headphones with remote soon.

That's nice. You go ahead and spend $100.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I love the new ear phones. However my ears aren't normal. My right side is a little smaller, so the ear phones don't fit properly and I can't wear them for too long.
Other than that I think they're great.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I love the new ear phones. However my ears aren't normal. My right side is a little smaller, so the ear phones don't fit properly and I can't wear them for too long.
Other than that I think they're great.

Apple's earphones are pretty cheap in my opinion because you can't size adjust them. Virtually any quality earphones have different size fittings and Apple has none. You ain't going to hear anything if it doesn't fit. That's the problem with Apple, they think everybody is one size.

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I think the earphones are excellent for running... seem to fit my ears perfectly. It's a great compromise as compared to the noise isolation type. I find the noise isolation type make noise in my ears with the bouncing as I run, not to mention it's safer to run with earphones that allow outside noise in. Always better to hear the car coming...

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
The other really nice thing is it can fully charge your phone in like 30 mins, I also don't understand why people are crying over it so much apples trying to be innovative

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I love the Lightning connector as well. Small but a very very solid connection that is reversible. Pretty much all micro USB connections I've used have been flimsy, nothing like the solid lock feeling you get with lightning. Of course there are going to be growing pains and folks are going to have to replace expensive accessories. But, you can't expect Apple to use that giant 30 pin connector forever and no one can realistically expect Apple is going to adopt a common adaptor. Sometimes with progress there are pains to the gain, this is one of those pains but the long term gain is well worth it.

I haven't even taken the earphones out of the wrapper. Only time I use earphones is when I'm running and I have special earphones for that.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation.

That's also an indicator that you may be damaging your hearing. Really, be careful. The EarPods aren't isolation by design. Apple sells their in-ear headphones for that.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012

...I have a GR07. Is that one "real" enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.