Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Today I reserved and paid for an iPad Mini from my local AT&T store (before people start to flame, it's a small town store that I've dealt with a long time and they allow me to reserve prelauch items). It was intended to be a Christmas gift for my wife. Well, her and I went to Best Buy so I could test the waters, she was less than impressed. Sure it's great little tablet, but after being used to the Retina display on the iPad and our phones for past few years, we were both less than impressed. I was busy trying to like it, she had no interest. Maybe the next gen will be more in tune with what we are looking for. I'll call my local store tomorrow for a refund/cancel.

I guess we will be sharing my 4th generation iPad (when it comes in). :eek:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
When I first read the title, I immediately thought of the story of Apple saying yes to the wife that said no to the iPad 2 their husband bought.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Same story here. The girlfriend and I were underwhelmed with the lack of a retina screen. We'll be sharing my iPad 3. :eek:

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I hate the non-retina screen but I've decided to buy a LTE one due to the extreme convenience of having a portable iPad. I'll have the 3 for professional use as a portfolio and the mini as the portable unit.

Just FYI my girlfriend turned down a mini as well and I bought her an iPad 3 refurbished :) you should look into that.

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
I had iPhone 4,4s and now 5 I don't even use my 5 I'm on the mini so much the 5 is neglected. My gf likes the mini cause its lighter then her 4s and the screen isn't that bad when using apps for ipad made for retina it looks great hard to tell the difference between retina on my 5 and the mini only website with text that aren't really in high res don't look good but apps and hd video look great

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I hate the non-retina screen but I've decided to buy a LTE one due to the extreme convenience of having a portable iPad. I'll have the 3 for professional use as a portfolio and the mini as the portable unit.

Just FYI my girlfriend turned down a mini as well and I bought her an iPad 3 refurbished :) you should look into that.

Refurbs are great, under $400 for the 3rd gen iPad. The shortcoming is now the 30pin connector, we are set up with lightning everywhere and I don't any more cables or adapters. Good advice though, of we had the 4s phones I would definitely grab her a 3rd gen iPad.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Refurbs are great, under $400 for the 3rd gen iPad. The shortcoming is now the 30pin connector, we are set up with lightning everywhere and I don't any more cables or adapters. Good advice though, of we had the 4s phones I would definitely grab her a 3rd gen iPad.

Yeah I hear ya, I don't like having mismatching connectors either but couldn't justify a 4 for myself after ordering an LTE mini. My girlfriend still has a 4s so that's not a problem for her. It's a really strange time for apple right now that's for certain.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't mind the mini's display. It's just a shame Apple didn't at least make it as nice as the one on a Nexus 7.

Yet that said, I do understand that fat gross profits are Apple's addiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tor Eckman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I bought a 32 gig black/slate and took it back the next day. Compared to my iphone 5 and ipad 3 the screen sucks. The mini makes no sense, people looking for a bargain will buy something cheaper than $329.00, and fans of quality would have paid more for a nicer screen.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I don't mind the mini's display. It's just a shame Apple didn't at least make it as nice as the one on a Nexus 7.

Yet that said, I do understand that fat gross profits are Apple's addiction.

An Ipad mini with retina display resolution of 2048x1536 (Ipad 3/Ipad 4 resolution) will weight 1lb + and probably cost at least $400 with current technology. A retina display resolution that is not 2048x1536 would mean all the existing tablet apps needed to be modified before it will run nicely on the new resolution.. Ipad mini has the worst gross margin for all Apple product in the line up now .. Apple management talked about that in the last conference call..

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Yup same here. Ordered her a white Mini for Xmas but she turned it down. Has a 4S and was planning on using the Mini for reading but after seeing it has opted for a Kindle instead.

Apple had the opportunity to annihilate the competition - a better screen and a keener price would have dealt a fatal blow to Google, Amazon and Samsung that they'd never have recovered from. Instead Apple has applied their same logic to a flawed product. And it doesn't compute I'm afraid.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Well, at least you found out before you gave it to her. You have plenty of time to cancel the order, get your money back, and figure out something else to get her for Christmas.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I guess people just don't have the free cash these days. If Apple hadn't released an updated version of the full size, none of these comments would have surfaced. Nobody complained when the last iPod wasn't retina, even though iPhone was, because people were smart enough to realize it's a DIFFERENT PRODUCT and a different demographic. I'm thrilled with my mini wifi version, and excited to be getting the LTE version next week. I'd rather have the screen it comes with and maintain the battery life and current weight. For those who don't like it, but the big iPad... it's the product that's designed to cater to you. I laugh when I see people flying with 15 or 17 inch laptops... hell even a 13" is too big in my opinion, but so many people use their laptop screen as their 1 and only computer, so who am I to tell them what to carry?

I think the more important issue the guy is dealing with is his wife said to his face that size matters, and he now has a complex about it. ;-)

xandable

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
California

Agree with you Alvin. For me, the smaller more wieldable size makes the iPad mini ten times more useful to me than the bigger iPads ever were. And by that I mean I'm actually using my mini much, much more than I ever used the big one. It totally outweighs the non-Retina.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Ipad mini has the worst gross margin for all Apple product in the line up now .. Apple management talked about that in the last conference call..
Apple management simply spun the story, they are making a heavy markup on the iPad mini. Plus it's a model needs to have a very short run before being upgraded to the Retina display.

Not because I or others want one (I really don't care) but because the "pundits" have decided it's way over priced and has a bad display. Apple's beginning to soften and if they don't get a handle on it, they will regret it badly.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
329 for a mini? If you already owned Ipad 2 or 3.

Better go for 32rd Kindle and watch hd movies!!!!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP: Nothing wrong with ordering from AT&T. I've done it a number of times.

After the iPhone 4 I'm staying away from Apple's "first" or "redesigned" products. Even the 4S didn't win me back. We know the mini will get better like all the other products. But the lack of Retina Display makes it a non-starter for me. I bought the wifey an iPad 4. I thought about a mini for the kid but I'll wait and see what the next one looks like.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I had iPhone 4,4s and now 5 I don't even use my 5 I'm on the mini so much the 5 is neglected. My gf likes the mini cause its lighter then her 4s and the screen isn't that bad when using apps for ipad made for retina it looks great hard to tell the difference between retina on my 5 and the mini only website with text that aren't really in high res don't look good but apps and hd video look great

IN NO WAY an iPad mini is lighter than your 4S. :eek:

----------

I guess people just don't have the free cash these days. If Apple hadn't released an updated version of the full size, none of these comments would have surfaced. Nobody complained when the last iPod wasn't retina, even though iPhone was, because people were smart enough to realize it's a DIFFERENT PRODUCT and a different demographic. ..............
Sorry, if the "last iPod" in your reply refers to the iPod Touch 4th generation which was released in 2010, I have to tell you it has a retina display although the quality is lower than that of the 4/4S.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple management simply spun the story, they are making a heavy markup on the iPad mini. Plus it's a model needs to have a very short run before being upgraded to the Retina display.

Not because I or others want one (I really don't care) but because the "pundits" have decided it's way over priced and has a bad display. Apple's beginning to soften and if they don't get a handle on it, they will regret it badly.

heavy mark up??? I take it that you have not hear Apple earning conference call a couple week ago when they cover the gross margin projection for 4Q12 and not familiar of what it take to build a product.

The BOM tear down cost for Ipad mini put the bom (bill of material) cost at around $188. But the bill of material does not cover profit to Foxconn, cost of borken part during manufacturing, rework cost in manufacturing, transportation cost (how much does it cost Apple to ship ipad mini through Fedex by air from China factory to your home? and what about moving parts between factories?), warranty cost (who pay for the 1 year warranty repair?? and what about those folk who use the ipad mini for 10 days and then return it??), distribution cost (profit to walmart, Target, ATT, Verizon etc for selling Ipad mini, what about cost to apple store employee??), inventory cost, design cost (who pay for the engineer who design the tablet??), regulatory cost (you have to submit the mini to each country that you want to sell and certify that it follow all local regulation), marketing cost (who pay for the advertisement ?) etc etc. There are a lot of cost to build a product other than the raw material.

If you add up all those cost and still think Ipad mini is a big money maker for Apple, I have a bridge to sell you. If you want to rant about high margin product, Iphone should be your target. Iphone has 50-60% gross margin (look up what gross margin mean, it is not the same as net profit margin), Ipad mini (the base model) will be lucky to have 15-20% gross margin and probably break even or loss money slightly after factoring in all the cost. High end model will do much better but most folk are buying the 16G wifi model..

http://seekingalpha.com/article/952...arnings-call-transcript?page=5&p=qanda&l=last

All of these products have higher costs than their predecessors, and therefore lower gross margins as they are at the height of the cost curve.

This has been the case with new products in the past, so nothing new. The difference this time is the sheer number of new products we are introducing in a very short period of time. Additionally, we lowered the price of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, delivering incredible value to our customer.

We head into this holiday quarter with the strongest iPhone line-up that we have ever had with the iPhone 4 starting at three in the subsidized markets. We also added the iPad Mini to our iPad line-up. The iPad Mini has the full iPad experience, and we priced it aggressively at $329, delivering incredible value to our customers. Its gross margin is significantly below the corporate average.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I had the opposite problem to the op at the weekend.

I'd been busy telling my Wife that the mini's screen resolution wasn't that great for things like e-reading, and that she should just stick to her Kindle.

We went into an Apple store on Saturday, and she totally disagreed. She bought one and really likes it.

I think it depends on what you're used to. If you've been using an iPad 3 for the past 6 months, the mini's screen resolution will be noticebly less sharp. Everyone else probably isn't that concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.