Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
i want to change the picture on my user account. Looking for Accounts in System Preferences and see only Users & Groups. Can't see where to make the change in there.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click on the picture you have currently.. it'll show a little dropdown menu..

You can either select one of the supplied photos or click "edit picture" and then "choose" to browse your computer.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Same as always (not new to lion), hover over your picture and then click on the grey arrow on the bottom right corner.

screenshot20110722at844.png

Graig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thanks folks I found it between the time I posted and now. Sometimes the most obvious is the hardest. LOL

rcervera

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Can't change my user photo in Lion

I have tried to change from photos on my mac, or from snapshots. Each time I click "set" it reverts to the original photo (that I want to change out of). Interestingly, if I click to lock, it allows a new photo to be displayed, but once you lock it the original photo reappears. :confused:

Nomar

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Having the same issue here. Stuck with the goofy looking snapshot my new MBA took when I set it up. Looks like we'll have to hope they fix this in 10.7.1

mtgilbert

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Same problem, but only for Administrator

When the lock is closed, I can change the picture but it doesn't get recorded. When the lock is open, I can't even change it - it reverts immediately. This is only the case for Admin; I can change the pictures for Other Users. Also, the old picture - left over from Snow Leopard - is very low resolution. Anyone else experiencing that?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

LOL my son has gone in and changed everyone's picture (that's what I get for staying logged in). But instead of just picking a picture, he took a picture using a facial expression he felt represented each of us.

But we are on SL for now. I hope your lion problem gets fixed.

geneg1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
EDIT: never mind, the change didn't survive an iPhone sync (even when I told iTunes to replace contact information on the phone).

--

Here's a workaround I found for Lion 10.7.0:

1. Using System Preferences > Users and Groups, create a new Admin user (I called mine Temp)

2. Log out and log back in as your new Admin user

3. Use System Preferences to change the image of your original, "real" Admin user

4. Log out and log back in as yourself

5. Delete the Temp admin user

The picture seems to be "sticking" for now. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

mtgilbert

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Still no luck

I tried your workaround but had no luck. I was able to change the picture of my new Admin account while it was the active account, but still couldn't change the original Admin account.

geneg1

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
I tried your workaround but had no luck. I was able to change the picture of my new Admin account while it was the active account, but still couldn't change the original Admin account.

Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

1. Go into Address Book > Card > Go to My Card

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

6. Go back to Address Book, click Card > Make This My Card

Hopefully this will work for you too.

thedinosaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Worked for me

Ok, I think I've solved this problem, at least on 10.7.1 (not sure about 10.7.0). Here are the steps:

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

5. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups, select your Admin user and pick the photo you want

The above solution by Geneg1 seems to have worked for me. I have been frustrated by this problem for a number of weeks now, and nothing seemed to solve it, but so far so good with this solution. Thanks

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA

2. Edit > Copy

3. Edit > Delete

4. Edit > Paste

Just changing the image in my address book seemed to work so far.

Looking back now, I think the picture had been pulled from my Facebook, which was synced to my contacts and was then propagating to my Twitter account. I was trying to change my Twitter picture, but it wouldn't take and kept replacing the new pic with the old... I hadn't thought to change the pic in my address book, which was taking over Twitter via iOS5's Twitter integration and also my OSX user account.

Oh, 21st century problems!

nodakjones

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Change "my card" contact in Address Book

Just changing the image in my address book seemed to work so far.

Oh, 21st century problems!

I can confirm that just changing my picture in my address book "my card" seems to have updated my user account picture as well. I think this is kind of a bug. Settings->Users accounts makes it seem like you have changed the picture for your user account, only to have it go back after reboot or logout.

Itchyed

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
EDIT: never mind, the change didn't survive an iPhone sync (even when I told iTunes to replace contact information on the phone).

--

Here's a workaround I found for Lion 10.7.0:

1. Using System Preferences > Users and Groups, create a new Admin user (I called mine Temp)

2. Log out and log back in as your new Admin user

3. Use System Preferences to change the image of your original, "real" Admin user

4. Log out and log back in as yourself

5. Delete the Temp admin user

The picture seems to be "sticking" for now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for directing me to the Address Book. That appears to be where the User pic is rooted.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

LOL my son has gone in and changed everyone's picture (that's what I get for staying logged in). But instead of just picking a picture, he took a picture using a facial expression he felt represented each of us.

But we are on SL for now. I hope your lion problem gets fixed.

we want pictures! your son is a genius.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I have tried to change from photos on my mac, or from snapshots. Each time I click "set" it reverts to the original photo (that I want to change out of). Interestingly, if I click to lock, it allows a new photo to be displayed, but once you lock it the original photo reappears. :confused:

I have the same problem.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
Same as always (not new to lion), hover over your picture and then click on the grey arrow on the bottom right corner.

Does anyone have that gearshift knob picture they can either post or tell me where to get? I don't have that option on my MacBook Pro and I'd really rather have that than the lightning I'm using now. Thanks!

spencerstar

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
To Change User Account Photo

Here is a method that works by putting your photos in with the default user pictures.

I found the default pictures in macintosh HD/library/user pictures. On my system OS X 10.8.2 there are six subdirectories under this directory. You can put your own set of pictures in as part of the default collection.

Create a new empty subdirectory with your name. You will have to enter your password as administrator. Then go to where your favorite pictures are, copy them, and paste to this new subdirectory, again entering your admin password. Now your own pictures should show up in the default collection.

To change photos go into the contacts app and edit your photo. Then go into the Users and Groups under system preferences and select edit, then default photos, and then scroll down. Good luck.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Drop it on the old picture.
Make your size and placement adjustments and you're done.

Hope this helps.

ghaz23

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
I got a little confused, but if you guys are looking to change your user picture from Preferences>Users & Groups, there is a simple way.

Locate the picture you want to set as your user photo in Finder. Then, Preferences>Users & Groups.
Now you have the Finder folder in the background and Users & Groups window at the front.

WITHOUT clicking the Finder window, drag the picture onto the U&G window where your old picture is. (There should be a + sign next to your cursor now).

Hope this helps.

Done !!! thank you am using Mountain Lion 10.8.2

SquirrellyOne

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Brilliant!

Hope this helps.

Wonderbar! This is exactly what I was looking for. By making the process easier, they made it harder to figure out how to do it. How come Apple's help doesn't give these directions? Go figure. Anyhow, thanks again!:D

Tillerman

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Los Angeles
It works for 10.8.4

Hope this helps.

This is the only thing that worked for me. I am running 10.8.4 Thanks for the tip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.