Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
It always drives me crazy when lawyers throw around numbers like 100 million. I always end up thinking of how many starving children they could be helping.

It might not make sense in the business/legal world, but I wish all these law firms would just choose to commit >5% of their legal fees to aid starving children and other worthy needs. It's not like they will notice the difference anyway, and they could be saving thousands of lives. To them, it would just be another cost of doing business.

Do you commit 5% of your income to starving children? I hope you do. If you don't then your statement seems kind of hollow. Not condemning you. Just stating my opinion. ;)

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
HTC is in a big trouble. They will do ANYTHING to stay on the market, even if they have to sign an agreement with Apple. They rapidly losing market share on smartphones market with very weak financial results in Q3.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444897304578043782276831090.html

"HTC's latest quarterly profit is the company's lowest since 2006, when the company first started selling cellphones under its own brand. The most recent result came in below the NT$4.46 billion net profit that HTC posted for the first quarter of this year, when the company's market-share loss intensified.

The Taiwan company ranked fourth in the smartphone sector in the second quarter of 2012, with a global market share of 5.7%, off from 10.7% a year earlier, according to research firm IDC. Market leader Samsung had a 32.6% share in the second quarter, while Apple and Nokia Corp. NOK1V.HE +1.06% had respective shares of 16.9% and 6.6%."

22hand

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2009
Apple offered to settle with samsung, several years ago. Samsung refused, which is why they went to court.

Apple offered to settle with HTC, and Apple and HTC came to terms.

Apple is not being unreasonable... it is Samsung, and Google, and motorola who are being unreasonable.

Because they think they are too big to be convicted of stealing.

Absolutely!

jimmyb5374

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
berkshire,U.K.
I think personally its quite sad apple seem to spend most of their innovation in finding how patents they have can be applied to other peoples devices, in other markets , specifically , day in day out !

How much money do apple spend on this ? as much as they recoup ? as a traded shareholding company are they not liable to disclose this info ?

I would have thought nearly all of the patents apple are trading off should have been covered by some sort of frand agreement , as they seem to be so fond of paying others very little for sharing the patents they don't own !

Apple for the last 24 months or so have disappointed me , with the amount of pure petty minded market destruction they are doing , maybe covering up the huge lack of innovation they have themselves anymore ???? please people , apple fans/lovers or not don't fool yourselves this is about patent protection , its just pure market share / money / race to the top ..

Apple will win most of the patent races i am sure, they have enough money ,but when there is no competition left , what chance of innovation or progression is there ?

I sure hope samsung win their lawsuits, wherever they may be left ! Purely to show apple they can't totally manipulate every eventuality in the marketplaces they are arguing

Just my 2 pence, but hey what do i know !!!

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
HTC is in a big trouble. They will do ANYTHING to stay on the market, even if they have to sign an agreement with Apple. They rapidly losing market share on smartphones market with very weak financial results in Q3.

Their parent company (VIA Technologies) is huge in the computer chipset space, and may be able to afford to bail them out for a little while if they get into trouble.

However, I'm sure they would prefer to not have a high-overhead, low-margin subsidiary that is losing marketshare while embroiled in expensive lawsuits.

Last edited:

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Samsung > Apple

Asia > USA

American cars are big and boxy to fit morbidly obese humans and super sized cola

LOLz

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
A couple of short years ago HTC, while not profitable, was THE Spamdroid phone to have and Samesuck phones weren't at all desirable.

That should be a warning to Apple. The mobile phone market is volatile. Perhaps bring out that TV product or, hey, beef up the pro market as a hedge.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Samsung > Apple

Asia > USA

American cars are big and boxy to fit morbidly obese humans and super sized cola

LOLz

Korean cars are kinda crap though. Pretty good value and they don't break down that much but they don't drive anywhere near as well European brands. That said, they are better than many American cars. About the only US car I'd trust is a European-style/designed Ford.

Seems Social Democratic mixed economies produce the best cars not unbridled capitalist ones.

dammyonline

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
London
I don't believe you were ever "Wowed" and I think you've been an apple hater since you first bought some other product and regretted it when you realized Apple's product was better.

I think it's astounding that apple haters think we're so stupid as to fall for lies like the ones you're telling. It's really pretty obvious.

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and would rather not be grouped in with your 'we' comment.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
HTC's current phones are innovative and look nothing like Apple products anymore. Samsung just started shipping off a bunch of Macbook Air and Mac Mini knockoffs. Also, Samsung is now HTC's biggest enemy. The enemy of my enemy is my friendemy.

Couldn't have said it better. Lol.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
This Apple company is not the one I used to love. Before the advent of Iphone, Apple was so focused on innovation that the CEO didn't have to tell people they focus on it. The reality is, Apple is focused in court, and Apple fans are forced to become law firm fans.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
maybe covering up the huge lack of innovation they have themselves anymore ????

Not sure there is a huge lack of innovation - this year we've had retina displays in tablets and notebooks, all-solid-state 'high-end' laptops, and the MacBook Airs are still setting the standard for 'ultrabooks'.

There's some pretty impressive technology in the iPhone 5 too - in-cell touch sensitive display making it even thinner than before, and I'm sure that the Lightning connector includes some jolly impressive stuff.... unfortunately the only practical upshot for the user is that the new iPhone is slightly thinner and lighter than before, and you get to throw away all your old connectors and docks (Seriously - could they not have built a Lightning-to-30 pin adapter into a Universal Dock insert or something that mimicked the bottom edge of an iPod Classic?)

I think their specific problem is the lack of choice in the iPhone line: If I buy a Mac, I can choose between 11", 13" and 15". Desktop Mac? 2 sizes of iMac or the Mac Mini. If I buy an iPod I can go shuffle, nano, touch or classic. I've even now got a choice of iPad sizes. The iPhone 5 is fine, but where's the iPhone Nano? where's the iPhablet?

Instead, they're now running adverts to try and persuade punters that the iPhone 5 screen is the perfect size. That's called complacency. Newsflash: different people have different preferences and the big 4.5-5.5" screens on the Samsungs are turning heads in a way the iPhone 5 doesn't. Agreed, Apple don't want the sort of huge, confusing range that some other manufactures offer, but they've had no difficulty supporting 2 or 3 form factors in their other lines.

They could also re-visit some of the decisions that made good sense on the iPhone 1, such as no widgets and limited multi-tasking. On the early Android phones it was too easy to make the UI grind to a halt (I know, I had one). Modern phones like the Note 2 don't break a sweat (and if Dashboard is good enough for Macs...)

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Agreed. They should settle so that Apple can focus on their products and Samsung can focus on Apple's products :p

Won't happen.

The Court of Appeal of England and Wales has ordered Apple to pay Samsung’s legal fees because Apple's apology on the website was not 'Good Enough' Apple instead of putting the apology in plain view had it scrolled off to the bottom of their website so most viewers wouldn't see it.

Gizmodo and The Verge have the story http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/10/3627542/apple-samsung-fees-false-apology

BuckusToothnail

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
The reason for this settlement between Apple and HTC has very little to do with HTC's implementation of Android, which quite frankly, if that was the main reason for their dispute, Apple wouldn't have settled.

No, this settlement is about APPLE realizing it was facing a LOSING patent infringement battle against HTC and its LTE patents that could have lead to a sales injunction against all iPhone 5, iPad Mini and iPad 4 LTE models in the US.

The judge in the case had already cautioned Apple that he would have to be "overwhelmed with evidence" to grant their request to invalidate HTC's LTE patents. If he didn't invalidate those patents, it would basically be an air-tight case for HTC as Apple hadn't argued that they didn't use the technology covered by those patents (which is beyond dispute), only that HTC shouldn't have been awarded them.

It's not a surprise that the terms of the settlement were kept "confidential", but if they are ever released it will be revealed that it is APPLE paying HTC for licensing fees, not the other way around.

Unfortunately for Apple, they are involved in a similar case with Samsung in the EU with regards to infringements against Samsung's LTE patents in the iPhone 5, iPad Mini and iPad 4.

It's unlikely Samsung would agree to a settlement. Rather, it's more likely they'll play hardball and force a permanent sales injunction on those Apple products in the EU, which would land a crippling blow to Apple, ceasing revenue from their top three highest grossing products in their second most important market, and sending their AAPL share price into a spinning nose dive from which they may never recover.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
4) Apple is realising they are losing more than they are winning in the lawsuit game and refocusing their efforts and cutting their losses.

Then why would HTC settle? Also, if that were the case, they'd have settled with Samsung. Apple is having less success outside the US, but there is a very good chance that a significant judgment against Samsung will stand. Plus, Apple did have some success against HTC at the ITC. On top of that, Google has had very limited success against Apple in its countersuits.

----------

Unfortunately for Apple, they are involved in a similar case with Samsung in the EU with regards to infringements against Samsung's LTE patents in the iPhone 5, iPad Mini and iPad 4.

It's unlikely Samsung would agree to a settlement. Rather, it's more likely they'll play hardball and force a permanent sales injunction on those Apple products in the EU, which would land a crippling blow to Apple, ceasing revenue from their top three highest grossing products in their second most important market, and sending their AAPL share price into a spinning nose dive from which they may never recover.

Unfortunately for Samsung, the EU is investigating them for improperly using their standards-essential LTE patents to try to drive out competition. If they play hardball, the EU is likely to land a crippling blow to Samsung, forcing a harsh settlement upon them (similar to what the US did to Microsoft in the late 1990s) and sending their share price into a spinning nose dive from which they may never recover.

----------

Korean cars are kinda crap though. Pretty good value and they don't break down that much but they don't drive anywhere near as well European brands. That said, they are better than many American cars. About the only US car I'd trust is a European-style/designed Ford.

Seems Social Democratic mixed economies produce the best cars not unbridled capitalist ones.

Which country has an unbridled capitalist system?

Anyway, in recent years, according to Consumer Reports surveys, reliability of all cars has improved considerably. However, European makes generally fared the worst, with American cars in the middle, and Japanese cars (particularly Honda) generally the most reliable. It was less a function of where the cars were made (e.g. Honda makes more cars in the US than Japan) as it was the company assembling the car.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has posted a press release tonight, announcing that Apple and HTC have reached a global settlement on their patent dispute. The agreement has resulted in a ten-year patent licensing agreement between the companies and the dismissal of all current lawsuits. The press release includes quotes from HTC's and Apple's CEOs: The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

Apple first filed a lawsuit against HTC in March, 2010. Apple had alleged that HTC had infringed on 20 iPhone-related patents. HTC had been a prominent player in the Android market at the time, and also represented Google's manufacturing partner for the Nexus One.

HTC had subsequently countersued Apple in 2011 and claimed that Apple had infringed on several of HTC's patents with the Mac, iPhone and iPad products.

Apple and HTC have been exchanging legal blows over the past two years with product bans and legal fees that were rumored to top $100 million. Apple recently won another high profile patent dispute in the U.S. against Samsung with a $1 billion verdict in favor of Apple.

Article Link: Apple and HTC Settle Patent Dispute, Agree to Ten Year License
I really do hope Tim Cook was serious about the "innovation" part, maybe Apple will stop the patent suing and start innovating again :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not to be rude but what difference does that make to you? One of the reasons that Samsung's Android handsets are doing so well (asides from the fact that they are actually very good phones) is that Samsung spent a lot of money on marketing their Galaxy S phones. If you watched the Olympics, you almost definitely knew about the S3.

HTC phones are nowhere near as popular as Samsung's offerings but they still have a dedicated user base.

The difference is that if the current trajectory continues, we'll have 2 phone manufacturers owning about 95% of the market in 3-5 years. Apple will have a profitable 10% niche, Samsung will have 85%, and a few knockoffs and niche manufacturers will fight over the rest. It will be like Apple v. Microsoft in the 1990s. And we all know how that turned out.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I really do hope Tim Cook was serious about the "innovation" part, maybe Apple will stop the patent suing and start innovating again :D

Because Apple's not "innovating" (whatever that means) right now, and can't walk and chew gum at the same time. :rolleyes:

----------

Won't happen.

The Court of Appeal of England and Wales has ordered Apple to pay Samsung’s legal fees because Apple's apology on the website was not 'Good Enough' Apple instead of putting the apology in plain view had it scrolled off to the bottom of their website so most viewers wouldn't see it.

Gizmodo and The Verge have the story http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/10/3627542/apple-samsung-fees-false-apology

The courts should quit with this nonsense. I mean honestly how many people give a *^!# if Apple posts an "apology" to Samsung or the British legal system or whoever on their website? Sure the Fandroids care and it drives clicks on the tech sites but the average person does not care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.