Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E365

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
I have this issue. Played the same video, on the same WiFi connection on the youTube app on my 4 and 5.. The 4 played instantly and loaded faster than it played. The 5 is basically unwatchable. Took about 10 second to start, then played about 3 seconds, buffered for 20, then played a few more, then repeat... Strange thing is I turn off WiFi and switch to 4G (non LTE) and it plays fast. Although, it looks like youTube drops the video quality when on 4G.

Although, I did the same with the iTunes Fesitval app which provides very high quality video and they both play instantly and smoothly on WiFi. So, I'd guess this is a youTube issue.

I did a speed tst on my WiFi and it gets like 17 mbps so I don't think I have the slow WiFi issue reported by other 5 users.

So basically the exact same issue the OP has...

HKPDW

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
My IP5 would not buffer YT videos. I cleared cookies/data and powered down the phone.

When I powered up the phone again, YT was running / buffering as it normally should be.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Speed test on LTE 39.75 down, 27.59 up

Speed test on home WiFi 0.68 down, 1.46 up, then 2.38 down, 1.37 up

iMac same test, same WiFi 10.37 down, 1.46 up

I was getting 11 down on my phone with no Safari YouTube issues (although the new YouTube app wouldn't load the videos). Today I can't get Safari YouTube to load and my speed test WiFi speeds are at a standstill.

Any hope this is a 6.0.1 fix?

EDIT: Just disabled LTE and my WiFi speed test is now compatible with my iMac at 10.95 and 1.61.

UPDATE: Disabling LTE wasn't a consistent fix. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my Time Machine bridged to my router.

Last edited:

soya

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Most likely related to WiFi issues. Safari is fast though on my iPhone 5. Speeds are very inconsistent on SpeedTest..

jcct11

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Same Problem

I'm having the same problem on an iPhone 5. I'm using wifi on AT&T Uverse 24mb down. If I go to YouTube over LTE, it loads fast.

TIGALAD

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I get this exact problem. YouTube on ip5 on WIFI Keeps stalling. Also when it does work the video will drop quality badly! It's very annoying! ... Oh I'm in the u.k. But ip4 worked like a dream!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If your Internet speeds are doing fine, tat means it's a problem on YouTube server side.

FYI I use Jasmine, 99% of the time I had no problems with videos buffering even though my 3G connection is a mere 1.5mbps.

C000ldin

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I am also having the same problem. It's really frustrTrating. I held 4s and ip5 side by side and plYed the same youtube video at the same time over the same wifi network. Guess what ip4s played it very smoothly while the iphone 5 likes practically doesn't move after first 10 seconds. I don't know what's the problem. Mr Sixpack, how was it fixed in your case can you tell me? Or it just came to work without any reason?

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Youtube has been slow on every iPhone I have had. Even over wifi on my 120mb connection.

All other things on my iphone have been fast so not a setup issue.

akimmi

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
still i don't get iphone5, i have iPhone 4 and still working good. maybe you have internet issues . i guess so

Liamkk0001

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Had d same problem on my iphone 5 but fixed it by deleting the YouTube app and instead opening youtube in the safari browser. You can just add it to your home screen from there so it's same as having the app but it works fine and videos load very quickly

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Youtube is painfully slow for me on my iphone 5 using wifi. It doesn't seem to buffer and videos are constantly freezing on me. When I run a speedtest I am getting 30 download and 3 up, so it is not my Internet. I played the same video on my iphone 4 side by side with my 5 and the iPhone 4 loads perfectly, while the iPhone 5 just sits there. The weird thing is that I can go to any other video streaming site and my iphone 5 will load the videos extremely fast. It's the same results using the youtube app and using safari.

Can anyone else confirm this on their iphone 5?

use the Jasmine app.

It solves all your problems including iPhone 5 display support.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
The view count is generated by unregistered users browsing the forum also.

At one stage today there were almost 7000 people looking at the iPhone form alone. There weren't 7000 users logged in and browsing. Some threads received 500 views before a logged in user even saw it.

Pipe down.

Are you saying the number of views is bogus? That it is artificially inflated about 20 times or more depending on number of real views?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.