Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
So, I just received my first iPad on Friday. It is a Refurbed 16gb iPad 3. Compared to my iPhone 5 it just feels, well, sluggish. When scrolling quickly through apps in the app store it kinda skips. When scrolling through some web pages quickly it kinda blanks out for a second then fills in. It is not unbearable by any means, but it just does not feel buttery smooth like my iPhone 5. Were my expectations too high? Has my iPhone 5 just spoiled me? Could there actually be something wrong with my iPad?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Try a restore first, this might help. Or even restarting the device. The App Store is slow anyway if you are on iOS 6 ? I also found my three slowed down on iOS 6 compared to 5.1 in safari etc.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Well, yes the iPad 3 is really sluggish if you compare it to the iPhone 5. First the iPhone 5 has a better processore (A6 vs iPhone 5x). Second the iPad retina display is very hard on the processor/graphic card.

The iOS6 app store is very slow on the iPad 3, but it's not fast even on the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. It's crappy software

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
It makes me wonder if going with the ipad 4 would have been worth the extra $120. Hrm...what is the return window for a refurb bought through the online apple store?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
So, I just received my first iPad on Friday. It is a Refurbed 16gb iPad 3. Compared to my iPhone 5 it just feels, well, sluggish. When scrolling quickly through apps in the app store it kinda skips. When scrolling through some web pages quickly it kinda blanks out for a second then fills in. It is not unbearable by any means, but it just does not feel buttery smooth like my iPhone 5. Were my expectations too high? Has my iPhone 5 just spoiled me? Could there actually be something wrong with my iPad?

My "new" iPad was like this from day one, as I suspect most people's were. If you can afford to get the 4 - although I have not tried one yet to know if it suffers the same way.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
16 gb is not enough for great performance once you start to fill it up with apps.

What does storage size have to do with performance? Performance should be dictated by processor, ram, and storage access speed. Not by storage capacity.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
My ipad 3 is on 6.0 and I have yet to see any difference in performance.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
It's funny , seems to affect people differently. Def slowed my three down and four isn't great. Although it seems to only slow down in portrait mode...

Actually does it in landscape too lol just tested again

Sep 10, 2012

... this is exactly why I sold my 3 on eBay, and bought a 4.

The "sluggishness" has now gone.

I'd suggest returning that 3 and spending a little more to get the 4.

It's definitely worth it ...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It makes me wonder if going with the ipad 4 would have been worth the extra $120. Hrm...what is the return window for a refurb bought through the online apple store?

It would have -- but still not too late for you. You have 14 days. I have a 3, like my 3, doesn't make financial sense for me to dump it at it's current value. If I could upgrade my 3 for $120 I do it in a sprinter's racing heart beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.