Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Anyone want to speculate on a few of the BTO option prices? Planning on a 21-inch with 3.1GHz 16GB ram and 1TB Fusion Drive.

My guesses are:
$200 for the bump to 3.1GHz (hopeful its that cheap)
$300 for the 16GB ram (same as the mini)
$250 for Fusion Drive (same as the mini)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Anyone want to speculate on a few of the BTO option prices? Planning on a 21-inch with 3.1GHz 16GB ram and 1TB Fusion Drive.

My guesses are:
$200 for the bump to 3.1GHz (hopeful its that cheap)
$250 for Fusion Drive (same as the mini)

I think you are about right....I can't see Apple charging more for the Fusion in the Imac than they do in the mini, RAM from Apple is always over-priced, but if buying the 21.5 it has to be done at purchase time...I'm not sure about the 27" but I'm hoping that will be user upgradeable. GPU bump $300-400 sounds about right too.

What I really want ot know is when are the damn things going on sale? I have 2 buddies waiting for 21.5's who are getting impatient..:)

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
What I really want ot know is when are the damn things going on sale? I have 2 buddies waiting for 21.5's who are getting impatient..:)

Yep . . . It's definitely November as far as I can tell. Let me just check again . . . Yep, it's November.

I have set up a monitoring service that notifies me when as soon as the iMac page is updated so I can order as soon as possible.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yep . . . It's definitely November as far as I can tell. Let me just check again . . . Yep, it's November.

I have set up a monitoring service that notifies me when as soon as the iMac page is updated so I can order as soon as possible.

My dedicated Apple representative has a call booked...As soon as she can sell she will phone me....But it doesn't stop me from going to the store and seeing, (AGAIN) the "Coming Soon" message...:D

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
buying that apple ram is completely pointless. You can buy 32 gb afterwards for less money than apple charge for the 16gb.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
buying that apple ram is completely pointless. You can buy 32 gb afterwards for less money than apple charge for the 16gb.

Yep! Totally pointless. Unless you can't crack the case without voiding the warranty. Then, not so pointless.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
yeah that sucks with the 21.5". adding the 32gb there is as expensive as going to 27". So then I recommend buyint the 27", as I am :D
I figured buying a set of Crucial 32gb ram for the imac will cost me 120 USD. Apple charge 300 usd for 16gb. THATS CRAZY!! :eek::eek:

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
That's the one you need to upgrade at purchase time....8GB stock should be enough for most, but if you do want 16GB you need to suck up Apples crazy RAM prices. I assume that the 27" will have the same bottom loading RAM tray as my current model?

Apparently there is a little access panel on the back just above the power plug. . . . WOAH!! I was just checking the apple store and it looks like its messed up . . . If you go to store.apple.com what to you get? Is it normal or no?

----------

Nevermind, its back to normal. It was going to iTunes movie previews then blanking out . . . It was weird.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
What do you guys think about the bto options on the 27" model.

I'm certain the upgrade to 16GB of ram will be 200 USD regardless of model.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

No it won't be the same as the mini because the iMac already starts at 8GB, where as the Mac Mini starts at 4GB.

It will be at the most, $200, if we were to follow the MacBook Pro's pricing scheme.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
That is a very good point. That might be just the edge in my budget I needed to bump me up to the 27 inch.

OlegPasko

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
UA
About RAM price... Maybe I'll buy 8 Gb and after warranty expired I'll upgrade it by myself (probably it will be available even 32 GB) :)

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
The specs :
For the 21.5
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
Configurable to 16GB.

For the 27
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots
Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.

No user-accessible ram slots doesn't mean it's soldered. You might just have to take out the screen to get to them. You know like, the non-user-accessible HDD, we can still replace it ourselves.

----------

The way appe describes the ram on their website to me suggests it isn't (compare it to how they put it for their airs for example)

Yes, I say it's like the HDD, it's just not recommended to replace it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Even if it is soldered doesn't mean you can't upgrade it if you are brave enough. I've done enough soldering in my time that it wouldn't bother me. That said it will void your warranty so price permitting I would suggest people buying the 21" max out the RAM and pay the apple tax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.