Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys.

So I'm debating getting a Mini in exchange for my iPad 2. My only "concern" would be writing a bit in Pages. I sometime use my iPad in class taking notes, I use a BT keyboard however. Would the Mini handle that as well? I mean, I'm not gonna use the built-in keyboard, but how about the screen area when writing on the Mini?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think you should be okay....I opted for the Ipad4, but have got "Hands On" with the mini and decided I was too used to the retina screen and the real-estate to buy one, but if you pair a BT KB with it, it should work fine in Pages.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Why won't the mini handle this well? It's a basic task.

Since its noticeably smaller, the writing area must be reduced comparing to a normal iPad. I'm not wondering if it could handle it - just if it was doable in terms of productivity

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
The writing area isn't smaller, just the text itself, so as long as your eyes can handle that it will be fine.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
I personally find it easier to type in Pages on the iPad mini, as I can easily hold it in landscape in my two hands and use my thumbs to type... But it is a bit harder to type on than the regular iPad if you have it flat on a table.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
I personally find it easier to type in Pages on the iPad mini, as I can easily hold it in landscape in my two hands and use my thumbs to type... But it is a bit harder to type on than the regular iPad if you have it flat on a table.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll be using a keyboard though but good to know :)

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Why not?

I write on my iPhone all the time. It has a far superior display, which matters a lot when the characters are that small, but on the Mini you should have no problem. The good thing about Pages (unlike most other apps) is that you can just press CMD+A, to select all the text, make the font size larger, and then at the end of class, press CMD+A and make it regular size. I'd go the extra step of copying CMD+C and pasting CMD+V into Evernote.

S

syd430

Ah yeah.. Actually didn't thought of that. Might have to zoom a bit, but otherwise it seems to be fine then :)

The only thing fine on it is Angry Birds and watching movies. Everything else is not fine, and I'm not kidding either.

You're probably going to get a lot of people here say that's not the case, but then again almost all the people that own Mini's on this forum don't do anything on them outside of the above two tasks.

Save your self the hassle of returning it and pick up a brilliant iPad 4. Don't worry, your arms should be able to lift it, despite what people here say, who are apparently not drinking enough milk to keep their bones nice and strong.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
iPad mini works fine for Pages as much as any other iPad. If you have concerns about it though I'd say just get the 4.

The only time I have issues with the iPad is when I am typing on it in landscape and after a bit to adjust I type on it just fine. Both are good devices for hammering out notes.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Don't you have the option in Settings > General > accessibility > Large text and pick a default point size larger than stock?

I sure hope so because that's saved me on the iPhone.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The only thing fine on it is Angry Birds and watching movies. Everything else is not fine, and I'm not kidding either.

You're probably going to get a lot of people here say that's not the case, but then again almost all the people that own Mini's on this forum don't do anything on them outside of the above two tasks.

Save your self the hassle of returning it and pick up a brilliant iPad 4. Don't worry, your arms should be able to lift it, despite what people here say, who are apparently not drinking enough milk to keep their bones nice and strong.

Dumbest. Response. Ever. I do a ton of things on my mini none of which is Angry Birds or watching movies.

Anyway, you will be fine with the mini. As for typing, typing on the mini in portrait is the most natural feel I've had on all iOS devices. It's better than the iPads and even the iPhone 5. The size is perfect and it responds pretty well too; again, better than my iPhone 5.

Honestly, go to the store and check one out for yourself and form your own opinion. I honestly cannot tell if most people here are just whiners or they really do have sight problems with their eyes.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

And people should always prefer 5" Android smartphones to the 4" iPhone because the screen is bigger and because they should have no problem lifting it?

Choice of iPad size is a problem because... why?

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I can confirm, writing with thumbs is very quick on the mini and also typing on landscape mode is surprisingly quick. The smaller size is actually more akin to a real keyboard layout so you might actually not need that BT keyboard anymore. I got pretty good at typing on landscape mode after a few uses and it works great on Pages

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
It's (as always) a matter of personal preference and weighting pros and cons against your own needs.

I would go to an Apple store and try it on one of their displayed devices. Chances are they have Pages installed, and you probably can ask for a keyboard and test for a while. If they don't have Pages, then any writing app would do I guess.

And then, you can do the same on an iPad 4 and decide which one fits you better !

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Went to a apple retailer today and tried it, but they were sold out. It's really great and typing seems very easy! Also I saw it next to a iPad 4 and 2, and honestly couldn't tell the difference between retina and non-retina - might just be me, but played with it for a while and seemed unnoticeable. The screen ain't that small compared to the normal but footprint is definitely smaller and compact! The employee told that stock would pile up the 28th, so went a head and ordered directly from Apple instead

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Went to a Apple Store today and tried it, but they were sold out. It's really great and typing seems very easy! Also I saw it next to a iPad 4 and 2, and honestly couldn't tell the difference between retina and non-retina - might just be me, but played with it for a while and seemed unnoticeable. The screen ain't that small compared to the normal but footprint is definitely smaller and compact! The employee told that stock would pile up the 28th, so went a head and ordered directly from Apple instead

You can check online each day after 10pm to see if the store has stock and reserve for next day.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
So you folks don't order through Apple Store? I live in Europe and don't have an Apple Store, so don't think to chart will apply to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.