Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skelly191

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Ok, so I have partitioned the hard drive on my iMac, so that i have 403GB spare to back up my Macbook Pro. Is there any way i can wirelessly use Time Machine to use this as an acting external hard drive?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
May I offer an alternative back up strategy? Get an external HDD, and use SuperDuper!, or Carbon Copy Cloner, or another cloning backup application to create a bootable clone of the MBP.

If and when the MBP breaks you can plug the external HDD into the iMac, and boot from the external HDD. Functionally, this is the same as swapping the HDD from your MBP into the iMac. The MBP programs, desktop, settings, etc are all available on the iMac. (Nothing on the iMac, however, is disturbed or changed). You can keep working away on whatever projects you had on the MBP while it is in the shop. When it comes back you simply clone the external HDD back onto the MBP and carry on.

A couple of things to note though are... the external HDD should have a fast connection - USB 2 works fine for the nightly backup... but you'll pull your hair out booting from it and using it if you have to boot from it. I've got FW800, and it's OK to use. In my case I used by MBP as the backup computer for a dead Mac Pro.

Not all applications will work off the shelf. For instance, iirc, my accounting program looks for a particular hardware combination before it will start up. So, test your backup and make sure your core applications will work. And if not, how do you get them working quickly.

Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.