Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009

So here is my story, plz help me guys.

So i software unlocked my uncle's iphone 3GS and everything was working fine, he used t mobile. Than he had some issues and gave me his iphone again to restore it. I told him if I restore it, you will lose the unlock. But he said he is willing to use straight talk as that can be used on a locked iphone(GSM).

Now I have restored it and there is this activation screen, I cant go beyond this screen. I just need to go beyong this screen, that's it. I used old unactivated tmobile and att sim but everytime activation fails and says no sim car installed/call some number and blah blah . Thanks in advance

:confused:

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Plug it into iTunes and it should get you past the initial setup screen that you're stuck on. This just happened to me recently in a slightly different situation. The iTunes plug in may or may not help, but that's all I can suggest for now.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Plug it into iTunes and it should get you past the initial setup screen that you're stuck on. This just happened to me recently in a slightly different situation. The iTunes plug in may or may not help, but that's all I can suggest for now.

I have already plugged in several times and it says "no sim installed". thanks tho

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its not reading the sim then.
It might be a hardware issue or you had the ipad baseband installed and then tried to restore to stock firmware and now the phone will not ready or recognize any sims.
That's why you need to do your homework before you attempt anything.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Its not reading the sim then.
It might be a hardware issue or you had the ipad baseband installed and then tried to restore to stock firmware and now the phone will not ready or recognize any sims.
That's why you need to do your homework before you attempt anything.

i am 100% sure its not hardware issue. and umm idk I dont remember that now. Can I just factory unlock it to pass that activation/setup screen?
thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
i am 100% sure its not hardware issue. and umm idk I dont remember that now. Can I just factory unlock it to pass that activation/setup screen?
thanks

You mean hactivate it?
Remember what you did. If you installed the ipad bb before you will need to reflash it with redsnow. Then use redsnow again to downgrade the baseband and then the phone should recognize all sims.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI4bYJS6osQ&feature=relmfu
thats the link i used, so plz tell me what i did?

and i was just saying like just using the imei factory unlock from ebay

The factory unlock will not work since the phone will not recognize any sims now. That's because the baseband is in an inconsistent state.
You need to reflash the iPad bb again and then downgrade it.
And yes by following that YouTube video you did install the iPad bb.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
The factory unlock will not work since the phone will not recognize any sims now. That's because the baseband is in an inconsistent state.
You need to reflash the iPad bb again and then downgrade it.
And yes by following that YouTube video you did install the iPad bb.

ok thanks for educating me. plz can you provide me correct youtube links to do those two things. I dont wanna mess my uncle's iphone.
thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index2.php?enid=22653
When u get to step 8 select install iPad bb instead.
Then once it's done installing it and reboots start up redsnow again and select downgrade from iPad bb.
The reason is because your baseband now is messed up so u need to install iPad bb and then downgrade it with redsnow.
And then it will activate with an AT&T sim.
You can then purchase an imei unlock if you want from ebay to have it factory unlocked with no hacks and it will never lock again.

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index2.php?enid=22653
When u get to step 8 select install iPad bb instead.
Then once it's done installing it and reboots start up redsnow again and select downgrade from iPad bb.
The reason is because your baseband now is messed up so u need to install iPad bb and then downgrade it with redsnow.
And then it will activate with an AT&T sim.
You can then purchase an imei unlock if you want from ebay to have it factory unlocked with no hacks and it will never lock again.

thanks a lot, you are a savior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Welcome bro:)

i just tried what you told me to do. I downloaded 3gs 6.01 firmware as I am thinking when i restored just now so I shud be using that right?
and see the pic I attached, it says redsnow is does not support this:confused::confused:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87

itouchaddicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Not sure about that issue.
Seems like redsnow is crashing on your computer or something.
Try doing it on another computer.

i figured what the problem was, I was clicking on "instal ipad bb" and instal "cydia" at the same time. I read your screenshot and this time only clicked "instal ipad bb". This worked but now I am getting a screen saying " this device connected does not support unthetered options" and than it doesnt go anywhere from there so I just quit the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.