Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
This is a COMPLETE mystery.

I have a folder in my trash that I CANNOT delete. I moved it to my desktop, and here is a screenshot of the file. It says there is 0 bytes in it. I've tried terminal commands, onyx, all sorts of things. I THINK the issue is with the strange character in the filename. When I try and rename it, it won't let me. .. Like I said, I've tried everything... Here's a screenshot of the folder:

http://o7.no/Uv87UX

If I double click on it, it shows empty.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
This is a COMPLETE mystery.

I have a folder in my trash that I CANNOT delete. I moved it to my desktop, and here is a screenshot of the file. It says there is 0 bytes in it. I've tried terminal commands, onyx, all sorts of things. I THINK the issue is with the strange character in the filename. When I try and rename it, it won't let me. .. Like I said, I've tried everything... Here's a screenshot of the folder:

http://o7.no/Uv87UX

If I double click on it, it shows empty.

It might be in use. Try rebooting then go to your trash and delete it.
If that does not work , try booting up in safe mode and then delete it. Make sure you empty your trash can afterwards.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
rebooting doesn't work (had already tried that)

how do you boot a mac in safe mode?

----------

got it ... ⇧ key... I'll try that, but not feeling highly confidant.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
There should never be a reason that a completely empty folder can't be deleted. At the very least it should be renameable. It sounds like filesystem corruption to me. I'd run a disk check just to be sure.

EDIT: Assuming that wasn't in the "everything" that you tried. Heh.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
What does ls think it's called?

Assuming it's on desktop, type:
Code:
cd Desktop
ls -l
into Terminal.

Edit: Oops, beaten. Anyway, hopefully ls gives you a name (even if weird) that you can feed to rm -rf.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Eric-iMac:contents ericuf$ ls -10@
ls: illegal option -- 0
usage: ls [-ABCFGHLOPRSTUWabcdefghiklmnopqrstuwx1] [file ...]

----------

This is what happens when using tra****:

http://o7.no/QywXBZ

I told you, this is the strangest problem ever

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Eric-iMac:contents ericuf$ ls -10@
ls: illegal option -- 0
usage: ls [-ABCFGHLOPRSTUWabcdefghiklmnopqrstuwx1] [file ...]

----------

This is what happens when using tra****:

http://o7.no/QywXBZ

I told you, this is the strangest problem ever

That's a letter o not a zero. You should copy and paste the terminal command if you are unsure of the particular characters!

The "illegal option" has nothing to do with your stubborn file, it is the ls command telling you that zero is not a valid argument to pass to it.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Got it, but the above post and the error was response to using tra****.app ...

mlynchmob16

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Dublin, OH
When I have had issues where things refuse to delete, I usually just open up Activity Monitor and Force Quit Finder. Finder automatically resets and has always let me delete/empty trash after this. Hope it helps!

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
2 things:

1) I will try that - thanks for the idea (quitting finder)

2) Assuming it CAN'T delete, can it cause harm? I have it in a subfolder of my mac right now, so I won't "see" it, but if it's possible that it can jam up other things, that's a different story ...

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
try trashing it again and secure empty trash in standard user mode or if not safe mode and secure erase

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Have you used tab complete? That will automatically escape any characters that need to be escaped.

Another thing you can do is "mv <weirdname> <normalname>" and then "rm -rf <normalname>"

Use tab completes or Ctrl-D completes for all files, just type the first few characters of the file name then do a tab or Ctrl-D

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
i suggest running disk utility and "repair disk permissions". then re-boot.

Techy66

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Can't Remove files from Trash

I have an external HD from which i sent many files to the trash. When i empty the trash either standard empty trash or via Terminal window using the many commands suggested in this forum, the files from my external drive still remain.

Is there any way to delete these files that the iMAC system does not seem to recognize as trash?
Thanks
Techy66

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I used a program called Trashme to solve problems with files that I could not delete.

highly recommended

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have an external HD from which i sent many files to the trash. When i empty the trash either standard empty trash or via Terminal window using the many commands suggested in this forum, the files from my external drive still remain.

Is there any way to delete these files that the iMAC system does not seem to recognize as trash?
Thanks
Techy66

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
MR_SS_2011_04_GET-INFO_format_permissions.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used a program called Trashme to solve problems with files that I could not delete.
In most cases, app removal software like TrashMe doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

For problems deleting items or emptying the trash, you may find some useful ideas here:

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
In most cases, app removal software like TrashMe doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

For problems deleting items or emptying the trash, you may find some useful ideas here:

cheers,

I must say however I tried many times to delete a particular empty folder that had a permissions issue. In the end it was Trashme that let me get rid of it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I must say however I tried many times to delete a particular empty folder that had a permissions issue. In the end it was Trashme that let me get rid of it.
If you want to use it, that's your choice, but you don't need any 3rd party app to delete files on a Mac. You can also resolve permissions issues without 3rd party apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.