Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
so i have a white first gen macbook and it has been chugging along for a decent set of years but now i think that time is coming to a halt.

the mac already has a bad battery so that pretty much explains this but after charging then discharging the battery meter will ever so often predict that i have (00:00) hours left of battery so i plug it in until it gets out of this state and usually doesn't do this for another week or 2

my other problem has occurred just recently but i has done it twice in a row so my thoughts were to come here.

every now and then when i shut the lid to make the mac go to sleep the optical drive makes the noise that it does when it boots (buzzing). and if i wait a few seconds with the lid still closed it will do it repeatedly until i open it back up. for no the temporary fix that i have found for this was a smc reset which i did 2 weeks ago.

i did recently upgrade the hdd to an ssd but that was almost 2 months ago now.
i will list the specs just in case
1.83ghz core duo
2gb ram
128gb ssd
early 2006 macbook 1,1
running os x 10.6.8 snow leopard

i need to know what i should do. i cant afford a new macbook nor would i be permitted to purchase one given the price

Thanks,
Boneskid1

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Your battery issues just sound like a completely dead battery. No real fix for that other than getting a new battery.

The waking when closed issue is a common one with the Core Duo MacBooks. I had the same problem with my identical machine - it was a problem with the bluetooth board inside. I took the little bugger apart and removed that, and since then it's been problem free! If you don't use bluetooth on your MacBook, or use it rarely enough to not mind an external USB dongle, that's what I would recommend.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Also I am noticing lots of stuttering video play back especially when I am watching YouTube but the video quality is only at 320p and the audio and video is choppy.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yes it is, I will double check in the morning but as far as I know it is.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
OK. So I assume we will see a transition from flash to HTML5. Android already stopped supporting flash

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
i need some advice for buying a battery. should i get one from apple or should i chance it with amazon or ebay?

i also need a new power adapter and that is the same question should i go for apple or amazon.

i am not really sure if i should trust non oem parts for the special apple computers.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i need some advice for buying a battery. should i get one from apple or should i chance it with amazon or ebay?

i also need a new power adapter and that is the same question should i go for apple or amazon.

i am not really sure if i should trust non oem parts for the special apple computers.
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or power adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yes I have read the FAQ before but it was a while back before I even registered here.
I may just take the old thing to a apple store and see what the entire diagnosis of the machine is. My charger is buzzing the battery and Bluetooth board or both bad, I need a new fan as the old one sounds like the motor has gone out, the sleep light doesn't even work anymore.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I'm sorta in the same boat. I have the same MacBook and thought of the buzzing dvd drive as normal for years. I never gave it a second thought. However, my situation is more dire. I think the inverter board is going or something in that area. My screen gets this 'pixelated' look and freezes up fairly often now. The fix is to adjust the angle of the screen by trial and error but I find that I need to do it more often with less chance of success each time.

I've pretty much resigned that the end is near but haven't figured out if I'll get an iPad Mini and a new MacBook/iBook or just the mini and see how it goes.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Before one tosses that old broken Macbook

Before one tosses that old broken Macbook, if one has access to a local Apple store, I strongly advise making an appointment with the Genius Bar mentioning the magic words "depot repair". I just took in a mid 2007 white Macbook which suffered from the black screen / no chime at boot for a logic board replacement for under $300 USD, with an additional one week wait while it was being repaired. As I was perfectly happy with the performance of this machine, the repair was well worth it to me. Also since the depot repair replaced the "Housing Kit Top Case w Keyboard Display Bezel" which has had the standard cracks on such Macbooks, the repaired Macbook tactilely even feels like a new 2007 era Macbook.

boneskid1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Before one tosses that old broken Macbook, if one has access to a local Apple store, I strongly advise making an appointment with the Genius Bar mentioning the magic words "depot repair". I just took in a mid 2007 white Macbook which suffered from the black screen / no chime at boot for a logic board replacement for under $300 USD, with an additional one week wait while it was being repaired. As I was perfectly happy with the performance of this machine, the repair was well worth it to me. Also since the depot repair replaced the "Housing Kit Top Case w Keyboard Display Bezel" which has had the standard cracks on such Macbooks, the repaired Macbook tactilely even feels like a new 2007 era Macbook.

are you talking to the poster above you? i dont think apple would fix my macbook:( it has some pretty unusual and major issues. and just now while watching a youtube video the audio got really hazy/static like sound.

so should i spring for the parts i need to get this thing back in line (battery, Power brick, fan, sleep light (if i can find one), a fix of the sorts for the glitchy video, and the bluetooth board is going out)

or should i go wait in line on black friday for the asus x401a for 249 and save my dollars for a newer mac down the road?

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Also I am noticing lots of stuttering video play back especially when I am watching YouTube but the video quality is only at 320p and the audio and video is choppy.

I know that if you take the battery out then the macbook system only runs at 50% potential. Since your battery is dead, that's probably slowing down your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.