Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
For those who are enraged that this $21M was instead of some other spending... it wasn’t. Whatever you wanted Apple to spend money on, they still can.

For those who think Apple had to pay an unfair amount... they screwed up blatantly. They licensed it AFTER they used it. They would have had a lot more negotiating power—as well as the option to just use some other design--if they hadn’t already violated the copyright. Might have been just one or two people’s honest mistake, rather than Apple management on a mission to steal, but the result was the same.

Again a useless and this time very expensive use of skeuomorphism...Apple will need to sell some iPads to refinance that Forstall decision....

All non-digital clocks are skeuomorphic. I like this one... but I’m glad it’s not MY $12M :)

Boghog

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
It will be consumers (those travelling with the Swiss railway) who get the benefit at the end.
Nice :)
But it doesn't work that way. Swiss rail won't lower their prices and neither will Apple raise theirs. Every company will always ask the highest price for their product they think they can get away with. So these 21 million come out of the shareholders' pockets, not the customers'.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Wow, thats incredible!

Remember that the consumer will be the one picking up the tab at the end.

Yes.. we are paying for that, no wonder Apple is getting greedy with customer service.

Last year the battery of my MBP explode and they gave me a replacement for free even the recall was over. This last week the same battery explode again and I had to pay $100 even the replacement was supposed to be better quality than the original.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Switzerland is intimately connected with the major European cults... Perhaps the clock's symbolism was important to Apple, and it had nothing to do with aesthetics.

Ah...

Attachments

• Tin Foil Hat.png
    Tin Foil Hat.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,269

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Let's hope this penalty will bring Apple back on track. As of today, the Clock apps on iOS are different between iPhone and iPad. That's a lame oversight and should not have happened.

----------

All non-digital clocks are skeuomorphic. I like this one... but I’m glad it’s not MY $12M :)

Not all.

And $21 million.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Good thing they paid. Whose idea was it to rip off a clock design for iOS anyway? But I would have been fine with just having a different clock design.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Wow, thats incredible!

Remember that the consumer will be the one picking up the tab at the end.

No they won't. Pricing is decided by supply and demand. Shareholders are the ones that lose when companies waste money, not that Apple will miss this much cash.

I find it kind of hard to believe that they paid this much anyway. Maybe it includes some kind of advertising for Apple or they just misplaced the decimal.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes.. we are paying for that, no wonder Apple is getting greedy with customer service.

Last year the battery of my MBP explode and they gave me a replacement for free even the recall was over. This last week the same battery explode again and I had to pay $100 even the replacement was supposed to be better quality than the original.

Greedy with customer service? Not sure those words belong together.

So it sounds like you were hoping to get a _better_ battery for free? When I've purchased replacement batteries, they've typically been more than $100, so you probably got yours at a discount. Why are you complaining?

But to take a couple of steps back... why are your batteries exploding? Are you letting them get too hot?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That amount is ridiculous and I don't believe it for a moment. I would have changed the design to show a Swiss guy getting shot at high noon before paying out that much cash in an extortion basis.

If you did that, you would have saved Apple $21M because that design would not be a direct ripoff of a Swiss watch design.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
"the licensing agreement may not provide any compensation to watchmaker Mondaine..."

And why would it? They're just another licensee of the design.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
What a waste of money.

Not necessarily. You have to factor in other costs if Apple had fought the case. Remember, if Apple infringed, the plaintiff was entitled to compensation. Just think how many devices that clock appears. Attorney fees and other expenses must also be considered. Sometimes, it is better to settle than fight.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Nice :)
But it doesn't work that way. Swiss rail won't lower their prices and neither will Apple raise theirs. Every company will always ask the highest price for their product they think they can get away with. So these 21 million come out of the shareholders' pockets, not the customers'.

Yeah, exactly. Apple shows this whenever they charge way more for extra RAM than what the parts cost and when they make more profit off of iPads than competitors (who make around <$0 profit) do.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
LOL this is so stupid.. Apple cant make their own iconic Clock ICON that's absurd... Hell hire me I will make you one for a mere $1000.00 (Still ripping you off but hey it's not 21 million ripoff)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.