Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick5a1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hi,

I'm considering buying an older Mac Mini as a cheap home server and media centre. Can I use my 2012 MBA with Mountain Lion to control the Mac Mini from time to time? If so, how, or with what apps? Both would be on the same network.

Thanks,
Nick

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Hi,

I'm considering buying an older Mac Mini as a cheap home server and media centre. Can I use my 2012 MBA with Mountain Lion to control the Mac Mini from time to time? If so, how, or with what apps? Both would be on the same network.

Thanks,
Nick

I run my mac mini in sig headless. On my macbook, I hit Command + k (when on Finder) and then type in vnc://10.10.10.10:5900, then hit + to add it to the favorite servers, then hit Connect.

Just make sure it's enabled on the mac mini.

Nick5a1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I run my mac mini in sig headless. On my macbook, I hit Command + k (when on Finder) and then type in vnc://10.10.10.10:5900, then hit + to add it to the favorite servers, then hit Connect.

Just make sure it's enabled on the mac mini.

What happens once you hit connect? Are you using the mac mini but with your MBA inputs and screen?
Does this using any special software or just OSX? Can this be done if the Mac Mini is not running a server version of OSX? And can it work with older versions of OSX?

Screen sharing? I will try that first

How?

You should be able to use a VNC or Remote Desktop app. I've done it to control my Mini with my iPad.

Which apps do you use or recommend?

Thanks.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes

I use screen sharing to control my Mac Mini from my MBA and wife's MBP.

The mini is connected to multiple hard drives and wired to our Airport Extreme.

Works great, nothing additional to buy if you already have a home network.

I did need a monitor and keyboard to initially set that up (turning on screen sharing), but it's worked just fine through two system upgrades and a few moves.

I also use the iOS Remote app to control iTunes specifically on the Mini, whenever it's connected to our Jambox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.