Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would like to point out unlike the prior thread, there is no longer a need to put all your geektool questions, issues, and scripts in a single thread. Now with the UI Customization forum, members are free to create new geektool threads as they deem necessary :)

willfurnell

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Well, I'll start the thread off with a couple of useful scripts I have found, I think they may have originally come from here.

The first is to check if a service is online:
Code:
#######Server Checker#########
HOST=DNS.NAME.GOES.HERE
PING=`ping -q -c 1 $HOST`
if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then
    TIME=`echo $PING |tail -1 | cut -d/ -f 5`
    echo $HOST is Online
else
fi
And the second is for External/Internal IP addresses. I'm not sure whether Lynx is installed by default (probably not) - so you will need it if you wish to use the External IP code. The Internal IP code omits IPv6 Addresses and a couple of VMware interfaces. This can easily be removed by removing the -v from grep.
Code:
########EXTERNAL IP###########
echo ""
NET1=`lynx -dump http://checkip.dyndns.org | cut -d : -f 2`
echo External: $NET1 
########INTERNAL IP###########
echo ""
NET2=`ifconfig | grep "inet" | grep -v 127.0.0.1 | grep -v inet6 |grep -v 192.168.48.1 | grep -v 192.168.183.1 | awk '{print $2}'`
echo Internal: $NET2

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I would appreciate some help here. I've been using this horizontal calendar script, which I love, but it somehow is automatically coloring the current date in red, but I'd like to change that to a different color. Any help?

Code:
echo `cal`" " |
sed "s/[^0-9]$(date +%e | sed s'/ //')\([^0-9]\)/ $(date +%e | sed 's/ *\([0-9]*\)/\1/')\1/" |
sed s'/ $//' |
sed s'/Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa//g' |
sed s'/ / \ •  /g' |
sed s'/\([a-z]\)[ ]\ ./\1/g' |
sed s'/\•[ ]*\•/ /'|
sed s"/$/     $(date +%A)/"

jW

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I would appreciate some help here. I've been using this horizontal calendar script, which I love, but it somehow is automatically coloring the current date in red, but I'd like to change that to a different color. Any help?

Code:
echo `cal`" " |
sed "s/[^0-9]$(date +%e | sed s'/ //')\([^0-9]\)/ $(date +%e | sed 's/ *\([0-9]*\)/\1/')\1/" |
sed s'/ $//' |
sed s'/Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa//g' |
sed s'/ / \ •  /g' |
sed s'/\([a-z]\)[ ]\ ./\1/g' |
sed s'/\•[ ]*\•/ /'|
sed s"/$/     $(date +%A)/"

jW

there is nothing else this is using to color the date?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
there is nothing else this is using to color the date?

Nothing that I can see. The Font color in GeekTool affects only the rest of the days, but there's not a separate script for the colored day and nothing I can identify that would change that color.

This is what the window looks like (with the entire script being what I copy/pasted before):
Screen%20Shot%202012-11-29%20at%2012.33.02%20AM.PNG

jW

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Nothing that I can see. The Font color in GeekTool affects only the rest of the days, but there's not a separate script for the colored day and nothing I can identify that would change that color.

This is what the window looks like (with the entire script being what I copy/pasted before):

jW

Hmmm.. Granted I am pretty new at this, so I am going to have to defer this one. Sorry I couldn't help. For some reason I thought there was another reference that was color coding items. Let me look around a little more. I know I have mine setup to only bold the number no color. So let me take another look.

dzurn

macrumors newbie

jW

You likely have another Geeklet which is almost identical to this one, and even starts out with echo `cal`" " except that this other geeklet is changed to ONLY show today's date in it, and that one is colored red.

You can check by first giving the Geeklet you can see a name (besides the random string) and then moving it up or down by 100. Then you'll see the other Geeklet left behind. You can then rename that one, change its color, and move the other one back into place.

It's the "date +%e" inside one of the sed statements that shows today's date is being replaced with a space.

Darryl

TriBull

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
The color is defined in the second line of your script

Just change the number 31 to change the color as follows:

30 - black
31 - red
32 - green
33 - yellow
34 - blue
35 - magenta
36 - cyan
37 - white

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The color is defined in the second line of your script

Just change the number 31 to change the color as follows:

30 - black
31 - red
32 - green
33 - yellow
34 - blue
35 - magenta
36 - cyan
37 - white

Perfect! Thanks, I knew it was in there because there wasn't a second shell.

jW

Neovo417

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
I modified this script from itunes to use Spotify form the process list everything works but the Player position I receive from Spotify is very accurate and Returns 12 Decimal places

Code:
get player position
		--> 294.496002197266
Can someone help me round this so the Result has no Decimal Places?

Thanks

The Script
Code:
tell application "System Events"
	set myList to (name of every process)
end tell

if myList contains "Spotify" then
	tell application "Spotify"
		try
			set trackname to name of current track
			set artistname to artist of current track
			set albumname to album of current track

set timetofinish to player position
			set hourstofinish to timetofinish div 3600
			set secondstofinish to timetofinish mod 3600
			set minutostofinish to secondstofinish div 60
			set secondstofinish to secondstofinish mod 60

if hourstofinish < 10 then set hourstofinish to "0" & hourstofinish
			if minutostofinish < 10 then set minutostofinish to "0" & minutostofinish
			if secondstofinish < 10 then set secondstofinish to "0" & secondstofinish

if hourstofinish = "00" then
				set timetofinish to (minutostofinish as text) & ":" & secondstofinish
			else
				set timetofinish to (hourstofinish as text) & ":" & minutostofinish & ":" & secondstofinish
			end if

if player state is paused then
				set output to artistname & trackname & return & albumname & return & "" & timetofinish
			else
				set output to artistname & " - " & trackname & return & albumname & return & timetofinish
			end if

on error
			set timetofinish to "No song playing"
		end try

end tell

else
	set output to "Offline"

end if

The Result
Code:
tell application "System Events"
	get name of every process
		--> {"loginwindow", "SystemUIServer", "Dock", "Finder", "ProFire Agent", "AirPort Base Station Agent", "DiskLed", "iTunesHelper", "Cinch", "smcFanControl", "Battery Health", "Twitter", "GeekTool Helper", "Yahoo! Widgets", "System Events", "Yahoo! Widgets", "AppleSpell", "mdworker", "GeekTool", "Image Events", "Spotify", "quicklookd", "Google Chrome", "Google Chrome Helper", "Google Chrome Helper", "Google Chrome Helper", "Mail", "AppleScript Editor", "osascript"}
end tell
tell application "Spotify"
	get name of current track
		--> "Stream Of Consciousness"
	get artist of current track
		--> "Dream Theater"
	get album of current track
		--> "Train of Thought"
	get player position
		--> 294.496002197266
	get player state
		--> playing
end tell
Result:
"Dream Theater - Stream Of Consciousness
Train of Thought
04:54.496002197266"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.